PDA

View Full Version : WattFlyer Poll: How are we doing?

admin
02-15-2006, 02:15 AM
I always feel the best way to figure out if we are on track, almost on track, headed off track or already off track is to gather feedback from our members. Please vote in the poll how you think we are doing and feel free to add any comments, constructive criticism and suggestions. I take these polls and feedback very seriously.

You can rate us on the scale from 1 to 10 (10 is best) in the poll.

TManiaci
02-15-2006, 04:10 AM
Marc,

Please accept my thanks for your sacrifice and efforts in promoting and maintaining such a useful resource for all to enjoy.

I gave it an 8, but I am pretty stingey. I have a few suggestions that I'm sure others would agree would make it even better.

a. If you guys can manage the resources, I think a user video gallery would be an awsome enhancement.

b. Get the auto-resizing for photos working. That is a huge inconvienience.

c. Increase the file size limits for uploads. The resolution is so poor at 97K, it's really hard to show details with clairity.

admin
02-15-2006, 04:32 AM
I agree..the auto resizing is a huge priority for me. I've been poking around the code coming up to speed on it these past few months so I can tackle that feature. However at 97k can't you get a fairly sizable pixel image uploaded? I usually do 800x600 images and those fall around 50-75k. I think you could go 1024x768 and be right under 100k. Are you not finding this to be the case?

Also if I do the auto-resize it will take a huge image and size it down to the lowest common denominator screen res size which would be either 800x600 or 1024x768 max. Too large will cause users to up/down, right/left scroll the image which most feel undesirable I thought?

TManiaci
02-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Maybe I'm not using a good tool for the resize, but I have BIG photos and find that to get a photo down to 97K is nowhere near VGA resolution (640x480).

My current shots are from a 7.1 megapixel camera, and the origonal photos are 3072x2304 pixels @ ~2.3 MB.

Downsizing them with MS Office Picture Manger to 640x480 (large Web Size) results in a 120K file. Taking them to 448x336 (small Web Size) results in a 60.7K file. I can tinker and get close to 97K at around 520 horiz. pixels, but below 640x480, the resolution and picture size is terribly degraded.

Am I missing something? I've had similar results using Photoshop and other editors.

qban_flyer
02-15-2006, 06:37 AM
Everything looks great. Everything is working great.

I would use PEACHY to describe Watt Flyer in one simple word. I love peaches.

Keep up the good work! :)

spark
02-15-2006, 06:18 PM
You should do something about the sycophants. :rolleyes:

TManiaci
02-15-2006, 06:23 PM
syc·o·phant (shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifkhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifnt, shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifkhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-) n. A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

Had to look that one up...

qban_flyer
02-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd rather be labeled a sycophant than a psycopath. :D

frvrngn
02-15-2006, 06:47 PM
I love it here. I even dont mind the ads on top (when did that start?). If they bug me I can just click them off :)

I do have to admit I still stray to the "other" board. Mainly since they seem to get a lot more traffic and more responses due to that. WF is still my prefered place to be though!

rcers
02-15-2006, 07:44 PM
A great site, works well but it is still small.

Good:
Fast
Clean layout
Admins and mods are responsive

Bad:
Thumbnails for pics (sorry I just don't like them)
No reviews (still rely on RCU)
Post something here wait a week to get 3 replies (post something there and you have 3 replies before you re-read your post!)
Some odd birds here that like to bash

The growth will come as electric flight will continue to grow and be a very significant portion of the hobby. Well it already is, but you get the idea.

admin
02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Good feedback so far. keep it coming.

tim hooper
02-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Marc,

I gave you a 7 (and I'm mean by nature). :rolleyes:

Considering the youth of this forum (and it's unavoidable lack of archives), and the competition you're up against, I think you're doing as very creditable job.

But then, what do I know?

tim

Mike Parsons
02-17-2006, 01:17 PM

tim
Tim..you have forgotten more than I know. ;)

Don Sims
02-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Marc,

I gave you a 7 (and I'm mean by nature). :rolleyes:

Considering the youth of this forum (and it's unavoidable lack of archives), and the competition you're up against, I think you're doing as very creditable job.

tim

Hoop, you are the ohhhh knowledgable one whom I defer to when walking by. Your knowledge and building are legendary and almost as good as Brians!! :D ;) :D

Twmaster
02-18-2006, 03:13 AM
I voted an 8. Mostly for some of the same reasons as expressed by others in this thread. Also, the search feature is abysmal. Is there some more granularity that can be added like some of the other forums (using the same software) have?

usopa
02-18-2006, 03:15 AM
I`m still very new to e-flite, but I have learned alot so far, I think this is a great site with a great bunch of people. I give it an 8!

Twmaster
02-18-2006, 03:15 AM
Dumb question. Can you Admin/Mods see who voted what on these polls?

Rugar
02-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Dumb question. Can you Admin/Mods see who voted what on these polls?

I cant, but I'm sure that the Admins can.

DIALED/CHUCK
02-18-2006, 04:43 AM
I am still digging this after 'switching' months back...

First some 'pros':

The community and mods all seem to be of good spirit...I have yet to run into blatant blasting...and when there is debate, it is mostly handled with professionalism and candor.

That said, I would like to see even more of the great mentoring going on...with the good spirit that seems to be prevalent, we need to continue passing on to that good-will...espeically to the new flyers who check us out...I recall when I first got in to flight and began searching the internet for 'newsgroups' coming across a few where new flyers were treated less than professional. Be welcoming, learn it, teach it, and do it.

Some 'could be betters'

(A) Contests that appeal to a broader audience:

The Arial Photography Contest, though something I am personally interested in...is an extremely targeted contest. Appx. 3 percent of flyers own such devices to even enter the contest. Though I understand that sometimes sales requisites require such contests to satisfy clients....but I think a great twist on that contest that would have gotten a larger return and satisfied any clients(if any were involved at all) would have been.

"Win A Complete Airal Photography Kit...and The Plane for your Airal Photography Kit"

Then place a picture of a small part of the airplane to be given away and let users guess what plane it is...then at the end of the contest...all correct guesses are entered in to a random drawing...one lucky winner gets it all....

anyway...just one idea. Broad strokes....

(B) A section exclusively for reviews....lets get a user based webzine goin here!

That's all I think should be submitted....small steps towards the big goal.

Rock on Marc and company...keep up the good work.

--C

admin
02-18-2006, 06:37 AM
I voted an 8. Mostly for some of the same reasons as expressed by others in this thread. Also, the search feature is abysmal. Is there some more granularity that can be added like some of the other forums (using the same software) have?

Yes we could see who voted. I have not checked who scored what as the aggregate percentages and comments are all I care about. If somebody scores you low you have to figure out why and what you need to do in order to improve.

As far as the search question above...PM me for more detail of what you want. I think we have what you are looking for but maybe it isn't obvious how to find it or perhaps the behaviour might work without using drop downs (i.e. use quotes for phrases and operators in your query such as AND OR)

marc

Don Sims
02-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Mods can't see who voted what unless I haven't figured out how to do it yet. :eek: It's not high on my list of priorities though, it's hard enough clicking on cool threads to read. ;)

admin
02-18-2006, 05:08 PM
On the search...at the bottom you can select "natural" or "boolean". If you use boolean you can use AND/OR to form your query. Also you can use quotes around words to create phrases. "Other" sites require the use of drop down menus to set these parameters but this software is actually a much newer version and allows the use of MySQL's advanced full text search engine which blows away the old Vbulletin text method that those other sites you mention appear to be using still. IF you still have trouble just PM me or open up a thread in support and I'm happy to assist!

Twmaster
02-18-2006, 05:15 PM
On the search...at the bottom you can select "natural" or "boolean". If you use boolean you can use AND/OR to form your query. Also you can use quotes around words to create phrases. "Other" sites require the use of drop down menus to set these parameters but this software is actually a much newer version and allows the use of MySQL's advanced full text search engine which blows away the old Vbulletin text method that those other sites you mention appear to be using still. IF you still have trouble just PM me or open up a thread in support and I'm happy to assist!

Well then that is a leap ahead. I'd often wondered whether the search feature was limited by the forum software it's self or the back end database it was integrated with. MySQL rocks.

Excellent tip Marc. Thank you.