PDA

View Full Version : Dance Like No One's Watching.

qban_flyer
02-15-2006, 06:27 AM
We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another.

Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are.

After that we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire.

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now.

If not now ... when?

Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Alfred D Souza ...

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin! At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.

So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time ... and remember that time waits for no one ...

So stop waiting until you finish school ... until you go back to school ... until you lose ten pounds ... until you gain ten pounds ... until you have kids ... until your kids leave the house ... until you start work ... until you retire ... until you get married ... until you get divorced ... until Friday night ... until Sunday morning ... until you get a new car or home ... until your car or home is paid off ... until spring, until summer ... until fall ... until winter ... until you are off welfare ... until the first or fifteenth ... until your song comes on ... until you've had a drink ... until you've sobered up ... until you die ... until you are born again to decide that there is no better time than right now to be happy!

Happiness is a journey ... not a destination!!

Thought for the day:

"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching."

Author:Crystal Boyd

ForestCam
02-15-2006, 09:46 PM
One of my favorite quotes comes from Alfred D Souza ...

That's right out of "Wear Sunscreen" :D

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97:
Wear sunscreen.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.
Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 PM on some idle Tuesday.
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.
Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good.
Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.
Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.
Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth. But trust me on the sunscreen.

qban_flyer
02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Ain't life grand? :)

TLyttle
02-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Anyone remember Harry Chapin? He sang a song about dreams, and putting them off: last line of last verse, "you're supposed to dream while you are young"...

All this came into sharp focus for me 26 years ago when my last wife was killed, only 30 years old: all her dreams? Gone in an instant. My dreams? I had none left, and it took me years to get up the enthusiasm to dream again. LIVE EVERY DAY!!!

opquickie
02-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Wow this really means a lot to me. Thanks guys.

qban_flyer
02-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Anyone remember Harry Chapin? He sang a song about dreams, and putting them off: last line of last verse, "you're supposed to dream while you are young"...

All this came into sharp focus for me 26 years ago when my last wife was killed, only 30 years old: all her dreams? Gone in an instant. My dreams? I had none left, and it took me years to get up the enthusiasm to dream again. LIVE EVERY DAY!!!
I can relate to your post.

I lost my Diane Feb. 3rd. 1989 in an accident as well. That fateful day took away from me everything I lived for in a split second. I look at life very differently these days, especially after my two coronaries in '96.

Priorities were quickly rearranged for me that awful afternoon. What was important then, means not much now.

I live every day fully, and enjoy every single moment as if I am living my last one. It's the very reason I believe that life is a grand adventure and that we must make sure we make the most out of every single second we are here.

TLyttle
02-17-2006, 12:42 AM
I have a lot of problems with "accidents" that take another innocent life. The latest scourge is the streetracers: if they kill themselves, I consider that to be Darwinism in Action, but if they kill someone else, that is murder, simple as that, and should be treated as such.

In Canada, we dumped capital punishment decades ago, and I have no problem with that: The beast that murdered my wife spent the rest of his life in jail, where life is so controlled as to be not worth living. Perfect. I get up every morning when I want, eat what I want, drink what I want, but he has none of those choices. This is more vindictive than you think!

Wow, so much for the Humor column!!! Sorry...

qban_flyer
02-17-2006, 12:48 AM
No need to apologize.

It is nice to vent once in a while. I often think of could have been, but was not to be. After a while I pick myself up and keep going.

Don Sims
02-17-2006, 12:57 AM
No problem T I was going to move this one over to OTD anyways. It saddened me to read your post and qbans. Such tragic things are so unfortunate.

TLyttle
02-18-2006, 02:34 AM
Thanks Don, I really didn't really mean to sadden anyone, but that seemed unavoidable from the beginning.

Qban, you're right about picking yourself up afterwards; the main factor is how long it takes. For me, it was 4 years, and of course the paparazzi has to get their pound of flesh, plus the government, plus the lawyers, plus, plus, plus, leaving me near bankruptcy. I escaped too much scrutiny from the press by telling the first reporter to call that if I found just one error or misquote, I would own a newspaper or two and ruin a bunch of careers on the way. No more press. She said she couldn't take responsibility for what the rest of the media did, I said that it was her job to spread the word or else. One of the few victories from such a terrible time...

qban_flyer
02-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Qban, you're right about picking yourself up afterwards; the main factor is how long it takes.

It takes time to get used to the idea of such loss as being a permanent one, the feelings never change. We just get used to living with them.

Glad you were able to get some of those vultures off your back.

opquickie
02-18-2006, 04:32 AM
This whole thread really helps put things in perspective. I mean sometimes I catch myself feeling down about stupid little things when really I've been blessed with so much.

I can relate to the loss that you (qban and tlyttle) have had in a way because i lost my little sister to brain cancer about...6 years ago. she was 6 and i was only 12...far too young to fully grasp what was happening.

i like to think that however tragic, my family and i got out pretty easy in the fact that it was not sudden at all, and since it was an inoperable tumor on the brainstem, we knew it was a "terminal" illness from pretty much the start.

Two things that really keep me going when I get down is "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and thinking of all the people that have it so much worse than me...

qban_flyer
02-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Thank you opquickie.

Sorry to hear about your little sister passing at such an early age, for her as well as for yourself.

In a way we all have grief issues to deal with at one time or another. You have expressed it so well, what doesn't kill us will makes us stronger in the long run.

Live long and prosper!

Take care,

Bert