PDA

View Full Version : hangar rashes attempted

LuckyArmpit
02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Probably many of us have suffered from the dreaded "hangar rash".
I had bought a great planes U Can Do 3D 46. Its an arf so assembly really wasn't too bad. After getting it together, I decided to take it up the basement stairs to break in the new OS engine I had put in it. My shop is in the basement and I have a set of steps that leads to the outside. Upon fanangling the model so I don't bump it against anything, I forgot about the landing gear. RIP!!! Ah ****!!!! Landing gear ripped off by hitting the door jamb!
Last month in January, it was quite warm for these parts. This made for a muddy mess. I had charged up 3 lipoly packs and was going to give my Ultrafly Ultimate some flights since the weather was around 40. I had my Futaba 9C in one hand along with my little electric flight toolbox and in the other hand the plane. I hit some mud and wiped out!!! The tx had mud all over, and the plane's top wing breaks off!!!! The Ultimate is all fixed up now waiting for a brighter tomorrow!

Dave...

redgiki
02-15-2006, 12:22 PM
So last fall, I was trying really hard to get in a last few flights before winter hit in earnest. It was windy, cold, and overcast. Snow had fallen the night before and melted.

Where I fly my park flyers is from an earthen berm. There's a trail leading down to my landing area. The first flight, I threw my Stick, and the wind picked it up, flipped it over, and slammed it into the earth. No chance of recovery. It's a Slow Stick, though, so the only damage was a little crease to a wing.

As I tried to climb back up the berm to take my broken Stick back home, I slid in the mud on a steep slope. Prop: Busted Landing Gear: Bent. Rudder: Snapped.

No dive-bomb into the muck compares to 200+ lbs of me crashing on top of my plane :)

zappedalaskan
02-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Last winter I built a Hirobo Evo .50 Heli. I went out to the field, first trip out for the year to fly glow. I had a folding 4'X4' card table. I fly in a big field out behind my house and used to fold the table up and pack it out there and set everything up on it. Well I set up my table and field box and ran back to the house and grabbed my newly built heli. Got everything set up and began to double check all of my controls..Cyclic was right on, Throttle servo was set to the proper throw. So the last thing to do was make sure the new GY401 gyro was working properly. I turned the power on (TX,RX) After the gyro initialized I gave the tail a little shove to the left to see if the gyro was reacting correctly.. Well I had set the heli down in the snow, it was still warm from being in the house and some snow stuck to the skids and cooled of leaving a small layer of ice on the bottoms. When I shoved the tail to check the gyro, the heli slid about 90 degrees and one skid slid off the edge of the table and it started to fall off. I tried to grab it, but it was already going.. It landed on the ice nose first. Cracked the canopy and bent the flybar. My brand new helicopter.. I wanted to cry like a little girl.. I picked it up and carried it back to the house like a wounded pet. My wife said oh you crashed it already? I didn't even hear it running. So I explained, only to get "well that was dumb" That made me feel much better! I had a flybar I put on, but I had to look at the cracked canopy for a week until the new one got here. My flying buddy came over and he said the same dang thing as my wife! oh you crashed it already? I have done some stupid things with helicopters, but usually with the blades spinning! :)
Jay

Don Sims
02-16-2006, 01:14 AM
I plead the fifth on this one. Nope, my dogs never ate any planes, nope my horses didn't accidently escape and walk into the stall my planes were in, nope, I don't know nothing about any of the stuped things done to my planes, nope, nope, nope....

fabricator
02-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah, me either, I never had my dog drag my new foamy off my bench and chew a wingtip off.:rolleyes:

TManiaci
02-16-2006, 04:02 AM
I have lost/retired more birds to silly handling accedents than crashes by 2:1 at least... WAY too many destructive "oops" events.