PDA

View Full Version : OPt OUT

ragbag
02-16-2006, 02:55 AM
Didn't realize I had to login to keep from watching the ads.

Looks like RC universe and RC Groups now.:rolleyes:

BYE George:(

opquickie
02-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Can someone explain what that means?? Haha I haven't seen any ads...?

Don Sims
02-16-2006, 03:19 AM
George, I just logged out to see what you were referring too. I noticed Marc is working on solving your issue, the following was a part of the message when I tried to opt out of the ads as a non registered person.

"We are also working on a cookie based setting so you can toggle this setting whether logged in or not however this code is not fully tested yet so it isn't in place. We do anticipate getting it online shortly."

admin
02-16-2006, 04:06 AM
Logging in now will stop you from seeing ads if you don't want to see them. I have part of the cookie code done that I'm testing which will allow you to toggle them on/off even when logged out. Hang tight..I'm working on it and it will get done.

Also...just curious why so against being logged in? I always stay logged in so the new posts work.

qban_flyer
02-16-2006, 05:09 AM
I haven't seen any ads at all. On the other hand I have not opted to have them displayed when I am trekking through Watt Flyer. :confused:

aeropal
02-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Logging in now will stop you from seeing ads
Sure looks like another commercial website was your objective all along, Vigod . . you're probably having a pretty good laugh over the previous "No Ads" misrepresentation. I am definitely noting the advertisers on this website, to avoid patronizing them! It would have been a whole different situation if you had been honest about it initially . . instead of the deception. Your "true colors" have surfaced!

http://i1.tinypic.com/o0s4uc.jpg

watt_the?!
02-16-2006, 08:23 AM
actually i believe it was more to do with providing an optional public service by having such items available for people if they want them.

log in, and opt out. simple. some people like to have these ads around so they can source interesting items...

following on that there are members asking for spatial links to reviews on the site...this would perhaps annoy those who's PCs are graphically challenged..so perhaps another optional setting?

Please dont confuse true colours with true passion, it has been floated and discussed with everyone prior.

Cheers,

Tim

slipstick
02-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Early days, but I'm certain that the way it was presented was that ONLY people who had specifically opted in would ever see any ads. To me that means that Guests, i.e. people who are unknown and can't possibly be known to have specifically requested ads, would never see them. The default should be no ads for everyone.

Perhaps that's how Marc is trying to make it work even as we speak ?

Steve

ragbag
02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I delete cookies daily.

That means I am not logged in at all times.
That means everytime I look I have to log in to get rid of the ads.

Matt Kirsch
02-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Why do you delete cookies every day? Every time you return to a website, they just put the cookie back, and the cookie will just do what it's programmed to do anyway. If you're really that concerned about privacy, you shouldn't be allowing cookies on your system at all.

I believe most browsers that allow you to control who to accept, or not accept, cookies from. If you set up to accept cookies from only certain trusted sources, you eliminate a tedious daily task, and no more ads.

inconel710
02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Aeropal - This issue was discussed for weeks before it was implemented. The consensus was that advertising would be acceptable if folks were given the option to not see it. Get over it.

charles johns
02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
wish i new what you were talking about

admin
02-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Sure looks like another commercial website was your objective all along, Vigod . . you're probably having a pretty good laugh over the previous "No Ads" misrepresentation. I am definitely noting the advertisers on this website, to avoid patronizing them! It would have been a whole different situation if you had been honest about it initially . . instead of the deception. Your "true colors" have surfaced!

Yes...very "commercial". Any incremental profits wattflyer generates are going to charity (see bottom of page for list where fund will be donated to). Also 2/3 of the members here voted that they wanted to view ads or have the option to do so. Wattflyers main mission is to serve what the members wishes are. If I ignored a 2/3 majority wish of having this option I would fail in WattFlyer was about. If it was voted against we would not be having this discussion. Bottom line is many do like to see ads if not large, too numerous and if they are rc related. heck even some like when they are large and numerous :)

Finally as noted above everyone will have to opt-in to see ads. This is a beta rollout of this whole system in order to test it one piece at a time and also since I could not code it all in one sitting.

The final piece of the puzzle is the "guest" mode so guests can choose their option to opt-in and have it saved via cookie. The default will be to "off" so even if you delete cookies daily (thanks ragbag for explanation) you won't see them unless you click to toggle them back on. I have part of this code in place but it was tossing errors so I have to recode and debug. I thank everyone for their patience. I'm spread thin here doing wattflyer, rcu and another major project outside of the RC industry entirely. Yes..I don't sleep very much :) With the warm weather coming I'm hoping I can get out to fly more this summer than I did last.

fabricator
02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
I love it! I think some of us need to
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/fabricator01/lightenupfrancis.jpg

Doppelganger
02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Just goes to show that you can't please everyone. There will always be whiners and generally abrasive people who are never satisfied. Why not ask questions to get get answers? Why must you insult and insinuate instead of asking questions?

Marc and the moderators are doing an extremely kick azz job with this site. Do you detractors think that Marc does not have a day job? He's running more than one site. He's trying ever so hard to keep everyone happy by GIVING US CHOICES. Where else do you find this? Also let me say that I have never seen such a finer group of moderators anywhere on the net. Every one of them has class, and patience.

They never step on toes, or flame. Even if I, er, I mean someone deserved it. Be patient and give Marc a chance to complete his task. This site is very young. It's a WIP. I think the best is yet to come. I mean that.

Regards
Steve

fabricator
02-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Just goes to show that you can't please everyone. There will always be whiners and generally abrasive people who are never satisfied. Why not ask questions to get get answers? Why must you insult and insinuate instead of asking questions?

Marc and the moderators are doing an extremely kick azz job with this site. Do you detractors think that Marc does not have a day job? He's running more than one site. He's trying ever so hard to keep everyone happy by GIVING US CHOICES. Where else do you find this? Also let me say that I have never seen such a finer group of moderators anywhere on the net. Every one of them has class, and patience.

They never step on toes, or flame. Even if I, er, I mean someone deserved it. Be patient and give Marc a chance to complete his task. This site is very young. It's a WIP. I think the best is yet to come. I mean that.

Regards
Steve

This deserves a reprint.:)

qban_flyer
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM

Regards
Steve

And another one here, though some members here may refer to us three as sycophants. Me no care! :D

syc·o·phant (shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifkhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifnt, shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifkhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-) n. A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

Doppelganger
02-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Just don't refer to me as "Sic - O - pants!" :D

Steve

qban_flyer
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D !!!

LMAO!!!

I've been called that elsewhere on this Forum. :eek:

My Qban Kat smiles on and says: Me No Care! :)

admin
02-17-2006, 03:51 PM
fabricator - Love that movie..love that scene :)

Anyway..what OTHER sites besides wattflyer and rcu let any user (upgraded or regular unpaid normal member) opt-out of seeing ads? I don't know of any. I think this is a pretty bold step for any site owner to allow the user a choice of what is essentially the lifeblood of what keeps the lights on.

Actually WF goes a step further..you actually have to OPT-IN to see any ads :)

fabricator
02-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Boom chucka lucka lucka, boom chuck lucka lucka, boom chucka lucka lucka, Boom!:D

admin
02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
BTW...because I wear 100 hats I don't get to code all the time. As a result the "use it or lose it" I am not immune from. Coding some stuff takes me a bit longer because I have to relearn the code each time I'm in it. This new version of VB is based on some new object oriented code. I spent around 20 hours coming up to speed on the new syntax, methods and such just so I can start to tackle the auto image resize modification.

I want to thank everyone for their understanding and patience as certain coding issues can take time or go in fits and spurts depending how easy along with how many dedicated blocks of time I have at my disposal.

fabricator
02-17-2006, 08:08 PM
BTW...because I wear 100 hats I don't get to code all the time. As a result the "use it or lose it" I am not immune from. Coding some stuff takes me a bit longer because I have to relearn the code each time I'm in it. This new version of VB is based on some new object oriented code. I spent around 20 hours coming up to speed on the new syntax, methods and such just so I can start to tackle the auto image resize modification.

I want to thank everyone for their understanding and patience as certain coding issues can take time or go in fits and spurts depending how easy along with how many dedicated blocks of time I have at my disposal.

I have a hard time programming an esc that goes beep beep, you guys that keep all this stuff running might as well be speaking druid.:rolleyes:

Doppelganger
02-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Can anyone help me program my Betamax?:eek:

Steve

fabricator
02-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Can anyone help me program my Betamax?:eek:

Steve

I just put black tape over the flashing clock on mine.:o

inconel710
02-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Marc,

I know what you mean about "use it or lose it". I haven't touched code since I left college and couldn't hold a candle to what you're doing here. My Mom, on the other hand, can code circles around me because that's what she does everyday (db admin).

So - Kudos to you Marc. I for one really appreciate the effort.

qban_flyer
02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
I just put black tape over the flashing clock on mine.:o

Do you mean to tell me that's a clock in there? I paid nearly $1200 for mine when I bought in '77. I could swear the "blinking" was to remind me of the cash I forked out for it! :eek:

fabricator
02-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Do you mean to tell me that's a clock in there? I paid nearly $1200 for mine when I bought in '77. I could swear the "blinking" was to remind me of the cash I forked out for it! :eek:

LOL:D :D

Doppelganger
02-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Now why didn't I think of that?:D

Steve