PDA

View Full Version : Belt CP Tail wag issue- Help !!

akumar40
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi,

I have a belt cp with metal upgrades 2.4 Ghz Tx & Rx from Esky and a Esky 704B HH gyro. It flew great, till one day, during slightly high winds, one of the servos (one on the left cyclic) malfunctioned during mid flight.

I crashed hard !! Anyway, worked on the heli, replaced parts, and tried to fly again, now, the tail wags side to side, almost like a shiver, real bad.

I have tried moving the tail servo (all servos are the esky digital), different tension level on the belt, trims on the gyro but the tail wag does not seem to go. I replaced the HH gyro with the stock gyro and now the tail holds and does not wag. Is the gyro gone bad??? as it does not look damaged and except the tail wag, reponds to all signals from the Tx. Please help. Thanks in advance for your time.????

HeliG
04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Did you turn down the pot on the gyro? That's a typical reaction to too much gain on the gyro.

akumar40
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey HeliG, thanks for the input, I will try to trim down the gain again & check. However, I feel that it is something else....do you think it could be the sensor (gyro) inside that could have gone out of whack due to the crash or something?? I will get back once I check the gain as advised by you though.

akumar40
05-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Hi HeliG, I tried setting the trims like you mentioned, however the wag is stll there !! he moment I switch to stock gyro, the tail holds well !! Do you think the esky 704B gyro has gone bad ? Please advise, I have ordered 'Inittial Gyro' from ebay, and should get that as a replacement for this if required. Thanks again in advance.

HeliG
05-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey, I'm not sure but I'm guessing that the gyro is bad. Maybe the gain adjustment is broken?!? I'm not sure but if you are getting better results with the stock gyro, there is certainly something wrong.

akumar40
05-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey HeliG, Thanks for your advise, I really appreciate your time....will wait for the new HH Gyro to come in and see what happens......thanks again.

Cheers,
Amit Kumar

jimmi
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
If you tryed everything with the gyro as far as adjustments go and it still drifts then you have a gyro problem. A crash will put one out of commission, and sounds like thats what might of happened. You mentioned you put the stock gyro back and it held. Thats elimination of the parts and you found it, good job!!! Jimmi

akumar40
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Jimmi, thanks for validating the same, I am currently awaiting the new HH Gyro to come in, will see how it goes then. Meanwhile, another problem has surfaced. The Esky brushless motor & the Esky ESC both have started to heat up a lot !! I tried replacing the motor with a smaller 3100 kv from esky as well as the esc to a Dongyang 40 amps, but they are heating up too !! Any thoughts anyone....? :-(

jimmi
05-06-2009, 09:41 PM
If there heating up you might have a binding problem somewhere. Make sure everything is smooth as glass when your motor is not hooked up. Do it all by hand to see if your getting any binding what so ever. Make sure your tail and your swash is smooth with no binding. Make sure your tail rotor isn't binding and make sure your belt is installed correctly. Also make sure your large center shaft rotates smoothly. Keep us posted and good luck, Jimmi
P.S. esky makes a decent entry level and afordable helicopter, but there electronics are lacking. Mostly on all esky brushed helis, the motor gets hot has been my experiance. I know your on a cp but just making a point. If you upgrade, try getting better electronics then esky. You may pay more but you will be getting your moneys worth. I would also make this point on all walkera electronics.

akumar40
05-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey Jimmi,
Thanks for the suggestion, I dissassmbled the entire heli & put it back together, one part at a time to ensure no binding at all....free blade movemnt both the main & tail. all bearings smooth, belt which is not too tight or loose..... Once done I replaced the stock ESC with a 40 Amps Dongyang ESC & stock motor (esky 3900 kv), I fired her up....but again the ESC & the motor were heating up too much, I continued to hover, suddenly after 4-5 minutes the headspeed dropped and the heli fell down flat.

As I approached the heli for a close inspection with throttle at zero, the heli suddenly spun up at full head speed, but did not take off as there was no pitch due to the throttle being at zero, I somehow managed to disconnect the battery & have stored the heli away for now. Could have been a major disaster if it would have hit something/someone at that speed !! Tha was the entire sequence of events that unfolded today....I am now convinced that it was ot the ESC alone...could be the motor ( although i did replace it with another 3100 kv from esky I had lying around, the heat was still there), Doyou think it could be the receiver that may be over feeding the ESC of maybe the transmitter as well....anyone....please advise what part to replace.....I have already ordered for a different brushless motor in anticipation.....please advise, thank you for your time.

jimmi
05-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Sounds like you have a glitching problem if your heli almost spooled up. It would be your receiver needs to be replaced. That may be the the cause of your electronics getting hot. My heli was in a minor crash and I had to replace the reciever. Just depends how hard a crash etc. Jimmi

akumar40
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi Jimmi, I have finally mailed the issue down tonight !! yeah !! I started all over again, took off the head with main blades , ripped off the ferrite ring since I figured I really would not need that being on the 2.4ghz (esky). took out the last spare ESC (40 amps dongyang) and decided to give another shot to try & fix the heating issue.

After connecting the ESC and the motor connections, with the head still off (along with the main blades), I spooled her up yet again, this time though I was holding the heli in my hand to avoid any spin-ups due to the tail rotor. Just then I realized that there was a tremendous amount of vibration throughout the tail boom !!!!! My hand was literally on a constant 40 volts shock vibration !! When I looked closely, I realised that the screws of the tail rotor were brushing against the plastic that houses the bearings of the pitch slider :red: !!!!!!! Gosh !! All pieces suddenly fell into place and I realized that this is what was causing the heat in the ESC & the motor !! So, I changed the direction of the screws and now things are back to normal again !! :cool: !! I thought I should share this info so that I may try to help others with similar problems before they end up spending $$$s' only to realize that it was something else & not the ESC/transmitter/receiver!! All said & done, I have to thank everyone who stepped up & offered to help, I sincerely thank each one of you, especially Jimmi !! Regards, Amit

P.S.- Maybe now the 704B Gyro will work fine too !! :-) Thanks everyone for all the support suggestions offered , you make this hobby Oh..so ...much more fun , cheers !!

jimmi
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Good job amit, glad you got it fixed. Thats why on one of my post, I was telling you to to make sure everything is smooth as glass. Its very important that everything is smooth with no vibration whatso ever. If my helicopter has the smallest vibration problem it doesn't fly until its fixed. Since you mentioned you went through the entire helicopter, the only culprit left was the reciever. But you went over it again and found the tailrotor was rubbing. Sometimes you have to go over things a few times to make sure you didn't misss something. Again good job;) and happy flying. Jimmi