PDA

View Full Version : New World Models Ep Spitfire Coming Out

bassmanh
02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone,

just a quick note to see if anyone else has seen this new plane in model airplane news ? heres a link to the plane.

link=http://www.theworldmodels.com/newProducts/newProductsTWMv1.php?y=2006&m=February

SPITFIRE EP

39.5 in WS
257sq in WA
26 oz flying weight
32.6 in long
fullysymmetrical airfoil

its a world models spitfire EP for $79.99 with a geared 400 motor OR 99.99 with a brushless outrunner motor (made for world models) and they also have a 25 AMP 6 to 10 cell ESC for this motor for 39.99 .

so for a total $149.99 (including shipping of $10.00) i think i have ordered a nice little plane to have some fun with ;) when i called to talk to them i ordered mine right away and they said it would be in this coming tuesday and he would probably ship it out on WED.

BTW i ordered mine through www.airborne-models.com they dont have it on there site yet but i called them and was able to order right away.

bassman

Sky Sharkster
02-20-2006, 03:07 PM
To Bassman, thanks for the info on the new Spitfire, I'd be interested in hearing about the plane when you receive it. Guess from the Worldmodels text it's built-up balsa? Also am curious about how that B/L motor works out. Keep us posted!
Ron

guapoman2000
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I have many World Models Electric and Glow-to-Electric that I have bought in the past 1 1/2 years.

I just noticed that most of the WM "Electrics" does not seem to go beyong 39 inch wing span and the funny looking main landing gear. I have the Rambler Ep, Miss America P-51D EP, J3 Cub Ep, Clipped Wing J3 EP, plus MACH-I, and MACH-II Glow to Electric conversions to name a few.:D

With the exception of the WM J3 Cub EP standard wing, all others are 39 inch wing span and for me seem to be getting a little boring....:(

I have back ordered the Ripmax Spitfire of 48 inch wing span "ARF" from Tower Hobbies (yes, e-Bay has them but, shipping is $25.00US!).

I am not going to go brushless.....the Ripmax Spit will be 3lbs. model just like my Great Planes Super Sportster EP and the Spit will be powered by the Japanese Kyosho Endoplasma 16-turn modified 550 Brushed RC Buggy motor.

Just take a look at the powerful potential of staying with Brushed motor.....I have over 50 flights without cleaning the commutator nor brush change out!

For the Ripmax Spitfire, I am sticking with the Kyosho Endoplasma 16-turn modified brushed buggy motor in geared form (Electrify GD-600 with 3.8:1 ratio) while swinging the APC "Sport" 9 X 8 propeller and using Pro-Lite 4200mAH, 3S2P, Li-POLYs and the Apex 4200mAH, 15C, 3S2P, Li-POLYs.

Video!!! The Sportster Ep (48 inch wing span) has the identical power system!

http://www.savefile.com/files/8128046

Awesome flying with these Apex 2100 cells 3S2P, for a total of 4200mAH, 15C, Li-POLYs. Again, the model has over 50 flights without any brush or commutator cleaning and these Apex 2100's made the model fly like it had a new motor!

It was just unbelivable to see this model turn like it was only 16 oz. total weight....just could not take it in my mind as I was flying that this was still a 3lbs. model! :eek:

Jagzilla
02-26-2006, 06:40 AM
I took the plunge and ordered the brushless version. Been meaning to replace my "very much missed" GWS Spit that I lost last summer. Looking forward to getting this new World Models version.
J

bassmanh
02-26-2006, 03:46 PM
ron,
im hoping to get mine early this coming week , as i open it up i will take some pics to show how well (hopefully) it is packed and then a couple pics of the plane parts to show whats all included and construction of the plane.

i called him on wed to see if it had shipped and he said it was going out that evening or thursday morning (called to add an ultralight pilot bust) so im hoping monday or tuesday it will be here ;)

bassman

bassmanh
02-26-2006, 06:06 PM
hello again,
i wa just looking at this plane on airbornes website again and i see they say to use an 8 cell 1000mah battery, does anyone have any idea what SIZE cell they would be talking about ? IE... 2/3 4/5ths or sub C ????

just wondering as all i have right now are sub C packs and 2s2p kokam li-poly's any thoughts on this ? thanks.

bassman

Sky Sharkster
02-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Bassman, good to hear from you! I'll be interested in hearing about the "Spit", how it looks, quality, weight, etc.
Regarding the 1000 mAh cells, the NiMh cells I have that are higher than (roughly) 600 mAh are exactly the same size as AA's. Under 600 mAH seem to be shorter, I think they're called 2/3 AA. There is also a shorter-than-AA cell that's a larger diameter, called "AU". Sub-C's are a lot "fatter" and heavier than any of these. I guess it depends on whether the plane can stand the weight.
There may be lighter new cells available, since the LiPo "revolution" I haven't bought many NiCads or Nickle metals! The 2s2p Lipos, while lower in voltage will be much lighter so it may balance out.
Keep us posted on the "Spitfire"
Ron

bassmanh
03-01-2006, 07:47 PM
hello all,

well i got my spitfire today, opened the box and was nice to see every peice of the plane in plastic and TAPED down so it could not move.

overall, the constuction looks pretty good and i can see they used triangle stock around the servo try for added strength. but it looks like it may need a little attention as far as reglueing with some CA in spots.

typical ARF from what i see so far, except that the covering is very good NO WRINKLES AT ALL IN MINE. the wing saddle area looks a bit week, may need to add some stock for extra strength. also the servo bays are not open and i will need to cut covering to get to them. (hope theres a string in there)

the instructions are well interesting ;) again typical coming from a chinese company, (lost in translation LOL) but it is a basic ARF and will be an easy one to put together.

also if you do order this plane check with them before you buy a pilot bust for it!!!! the add says none included so i bought one, and guess what ??? there was one included in the bag of parts LOL so now i have a new pilot to find a home for ;)

attached are a few pics, i will post more if i find anything bad while putting this bird together

bassman
P.S. they also send a new 2006 catalouge with it .

Jagzilla
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
I ordered mine from Airborne World models, and it was quite clear in the ad that a pilot was included.
I'm glad you like what you see with your kit. I have their Miss America P-51 as well, and never had any complaints about the quality or strength of the kit.
I just wish they'd start building these EP kits with battery access hatch's in mind.
Good luck in your build Bassmanh. You did order yours with the outrunner, correct? I'm interested to know what your thoughts are on that motor when you get it up and flying.
Best of luck with it all,
J

bassmanh
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
hello J,

when i ordered my spitfire airborne and world models didnt have them on there sites yet. i found the plane in an add in model airplane news and right in the add it says ultralight pilot shown optiional and not included in kit (see pic)

does it say it is included on there websites now ? at any rate im happy with the plane and cant wait to start o it but we have freezing rain right now and im not going to drive to the LHS on these roads .

as for the motor it looks very familiar like ive seen them on e-bay or another site. here is a picture of the motor to give you an idea of what it is. good luck with yours to and have fun flying it.

bassman

bassmanh
03-02-2006, 05:14 PM
hi,
a quick update on the motor and ESC, now that i have had more time to look over things the instructions in the ESC say (to use BEC) only use 7 cells and 4 servos or 8 cells and 3 servos. so that shoots down an 8 cell pack or 3s li-poly because we have to use 4 servos for this plane.

so it looks like i will be using 7 cell packs to start with and see how many watts im getting with them .

the motor shows it can handle 6 to 12 volts so thats looks good now i just have to get the motor mounted and do some static tests to see where im at . :)

bassman

bassmanh
03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
HELLO AGAIN,

just another update on the spit, i have pretty much everything put together as far as the plane goes. now im just waiting for my flight pack to get here from tower.

all thats left to do is put the motor and ESC in, servos and reciever and my pilot and decals.

as far as putting it together make sure you have a clamp ready when you start to install the motor mount as you have to squeeze to 2 formers together to meet the mount and epoxy it together, then hold it in place while it cures.

while putting the rudder on i also noticed that the tail wheel assembly wouldnt quite line up right and had to trim a little off the rudder to make it fit right, otherwise i had no trouble with this ARF.

will udate more once everything is in and working and i can get some readings from my watt meter. and i will also get a final AUW . i did use different wheels as the ones it came with looked to small and just didnt look right, so i put some 2 inch ultra light wheels on it. looks much better(see pics)

bassman

bassmanh
03-05-2006, 08:16 PM
hello,

well here is the finished plane minus the servos and rx, it looks pretty good, i did change out the folding prop and spinner for a more scale looking (hopefully) prop adapter. the prop that is on it is a little to big so i need to get an 11X6 APC E prop for it yet.

as for watts and AMPs i used a couple old packs i had here (still waiting on new order) and the amps with a 8 cell pack and 10x6 prop was right at 15.
with a 7 cell pack and same prop was at 9 amps. i tried the 12x8 and the amps went over the motors max so i think an 11x5 will be about right.

watts im going to wait with until i get my NEW packs as these readings seemed a bit low.

heres a couple of pics of the finished plane.

bassman

Jagzilla
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm really looking forward to your flight report on this bird, bassmanh. I've noticed there seems to be not a lot of enthusiam being generated about this plane. The world models p-51 was, and still, is a big deal when it first came out. I am really looking forward to getting my Spit! I'm especially cursious to know how well that brushless is going to work out. I know I'll be putting some sort of apc prop on it, and loosing the folding prop. Probably will use one of the new 1500 Mah 3 cells I have. They are rated 20C discharge.
J

bassmanh
03-06-2006, 06:41 PM
jag,
i agree seems like not many are interested. as for getting flying soon , well we just got 5 more inches of snow last night and now the weather is suposed to warm up into the mid to high 40's this week so the field will be a sloppy mess for awhile :( will have to wait for things to dry up first. but once i do fly it i will try to get some vidoe to post.

by the way have you gotten your plane yet ? let me know what you think about it please ?

bassman

Jagzilla
03-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Sorry to hear on the weather. Winds and rain for us around here. Don't have my plane yet. I'm in Canada, and it will have to clear customs, so I don't expect it for a couple of weeks or so. I have the world models p-51 and I was allways impressed with its quality, so I didn't hesitate to buy the Spit. I know a lot of people are griping that this version of the Spit is really out of scale, and I think that's where the low-key interest is stemming from. Personally, I dont find it that bad looking. A lot of these same people go on about the virtues of the P-51, which I feel is no where near scale either. Can't pleeeeze em all, I guess.
J

Sky Sharkster
03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Bassman, thanks for posting the photos and info on the Spitfire! I think it looks good, as far as "Exact Scale" none of the Park Flyers are, and they weren't intended to be. I'm interested in how it flys, hope you get some good weather soon. Have you weighed the model?
Regarding the BEC limit on servos, I've never really let it worry me too much, I've hardly ever run a LiPo (well, the first couple, but none since!) down to LVC. 2100 mAH turning a "400" sized motor with the correct prop is usually 15 minutes plus, unless you run wide open the whole time. My flights are usually in the 5-7 minute range, that seems to be my limit of concentration for sport/aerobatic/warbirds. Now Gliders, that's a whole different ballgame. But really you're not flying them most of the time, you're watching them!
Anyway, good luck with the "Spit"!!
Ron

bassmanh
03-07-2006, 02:09 AM
sky,

glad you like the pics, i knew when i bought the plane that it wasnt SCALE but i didnt care i just liked the looks of it. (plus it still looks like a spit to me)

as for the weight of the plane it is at 17.4 ounces right now minus the reciever and battery, the battery packs weigh in at about 8 ounces and the RX is 1.3 i think so the AUW looks to be about 27 ounces. remember i used bigger wheels so that might be where the extra ounce came from or my scale may be off a bit ;) . but if my readings are right with my watt meter i should be getting about 70 watts a lbs.

I sure hope the weather gets better my thumbs are getting twitchy its been a long winter with no flying.

bassman

Jagzilla
03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to know if anyone's actually flown the thing yet? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive....gotta love customs!
J

bassmanh
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
jag,

the weather is not cooperating for me here at all, been really windy and colder with snow forcast for today again. up to 6 inches possible today and tonight. i cant seem to win.

i wish if someone has flown this plane they would post for us so we know what it flies like and what to expect from it ;) like some one from down south where the weather is warmer/nicer .

bassman

Jagzilla
03-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Thats gotta suck, bassmanh!
J

Jagzilla
03-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Finally received mine. Must say, it does look nice! Fairly good size plane. I'm just finishing up my Great Planes Lancair, and then I'll get started on the Spit build. Probably take about a week to get it done, as it looks pretty straightforward. It's gonna be nice to have a Spit back in the squadron again!
J

Jagzilla
04-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Did the maiden today. Flies straight and true! The outrunner has plenty of power, it was airborne in about 20 feet or so. Gave it some down elevator trim, as it was wanting to climb. No aileron trim needed at all. Did rolls, inverted, loops and hammerheads, all went well. Slows down decently for the landing, no tipping over on the grass either. All in all, I'm quite happy with it. Used a 1500 3 cell (20c). APC 9X7.5 SF prop. AUW 22 oz's/
J

desmobob
04-03-2006, 02:07 AM
J,

Will a 3S 2100mah pack fit in the Spit?

You bought the outrunner that World Models was selling with the Spit, right?

Thanks for the flight report. This model might become my first Spitfire....

Good flying,
desmobob

Jagzilla
04-03-2006, 04:58 AM
A thunderpower 2100 3 cell would fit. The wider style, like a tanic, wouldn't fit. In other words the long, slender, rectangular style of battery fits just fine. I used the world models outrunner. It was pulling around 15 or so amps on the bench, doing around 150 watts on the wattmeter. Moved the plane nicely!
J

bassmanh
04-03-2006, 04:48 PM
jag,
im very happy to hear the spit flies well, i just got back from vacation and now the weather here is CRAP windy, rainy, for the next almost week. the R/C gods are not smileing on me :( so i have not flown mine yet.

i wonder if the spit will fly as well on the 9.6 volt packs ? or maybe i just need to buy a couple of li-pos for it right away ?

also what where your flight times using that pack ? thanks again for the post ;)

bassman

Jagzilla
04-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Bassman,
Sorry to hear the weather is still bad. Winds are picking up here as I write this, this morning. I was hoping to put a few more flights on the Spit today (day off from work).
Can't comment on the 9.6 volt question. I put about 8 minutes of mixed throttle flying on the 1500 yesterday, and it was about drained at the end. I flew one 5 minute flight, and then another at about 3 minutes. I might go with the 2100 3 cell in the future, we'll see.
J

bassmanh
04-11-2006, 08:06 PM
jag,

just wondering which ESC you are using on this plane with the 3s li-poly ? reason is i think mine shows that you should only use 3 servos with a 3s and 4 servos with a 2s or 7 or 8 cell niXX . and nope i still have not gotten to fly it :( the dang wind just wont go away. today is 10 to 20 with gusts to 29 so far. i just cant seem to win .

on a side note i did find a new club im thinking of joining has 2 black top runways and a grass strip. would be great for my smaller stuff, and only $50.00 a year. and about 40 memebers right now ;)

mitch

Jagzilla
04-11-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm using a CC Phoenix 25. Not sure if I should be using 4 servo's or not with that one, but it seems to be holding up fine so far.
Just got back from the club field and put 5-6 flights on the Spit today. She's still doing fine! Actually, the more I fly it, the more I like it. Today was a far sunnier day, and I found keeping my orientation on it much easier today.
J

Tinlid
04-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Can some one answer the reason for more cells less servos more me i'm going to get the spit and i was just wondering.

Tinlid
04-17-2006, 09:03 AM
It's ok just found some info on it.

bassmanh
04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
jag,

i forgot to ask you how the spitfire lands ? does it come in slow or do you need to keep the speed up ? any tip stall tendencies ?

i still have not flown mine the dang weather here has been windy ALL the time and the COUPLE DAYS it hasnt been windy i havent been able to get to the field :(

again thanks.

bassman

Jagzilla
05-01-2006, 04:34 AM
Wow, sorry to hear weathers so unco-operative your way, bassman. I've built and maidened several new planes since the Spit.
I'd say the plane is quite forgiving, and will slow down decently on landing, but will still need to be flown down to the ground. I've not had a tip stall on it yet, but I'm sure if you slow it down enough, it will do it for you. It is after all, a low wing warbird. I have kept a small amount of power on for all my landings. Hope this helps.
J

bassmanh
05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
jag,

just a quick note im going to be taking the spit out to fly next week abd forgot tht i had not balanced it yet. as i started to balance it it was WAAAAYY tail heavy i had to move the battery pack into the nose of the plane to get it to balance!!!!

what battery pack are you using ? and was yours tail heavy to ? thanks in advance.

bassman

Jagzilla
05-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Wow, I can't believe you still haven't flown that thing!!!! I use a 1500 3 cell, and it has to be stuck all the way into the nose, right up to behind the motor to balance the plane. It's not the greatest arrangement and is awkward to secure the battery, but it will work. Best of luck when you fly it.
Jaggy

mellow2990
05-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi
hope you don't mind me jumping in. I am a newbie but I bought a Ripmax Spit off of Ebay. I got to save the 25 bucks shipping because I live not far from Kent Wasington where the sellers warehouse is located so I just picked mine up. I am still learning to fly so I bought this as insentive to keep me going. It's hanging up in my room now only problem is it did not come with an insturction manual. I was hopeing ripmax would have a web site where I could download one. My question is you is do you think it's better to go with a 550 or 600 brushed moter then brushless for this plane? I am still trying to figure out the advantages of either. This is for the time that I feel good enough to fly this wonderful plane. :) Anyway thanks for reading this if you do and feel like giveing a newbie some advise I would appricate it.

Jagzilla
05-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Mellow,
Personally, I vouch for brushless and lipo's everytime. I have learnt it's better to be lighter weight, and overpowered, than the other way around. I don't mean this as necessarlily a faster plane (though thats a side benefit), but more to have the power to pull you out of situations that will result in a crash for underpowered planes. Such as near stalls, bad handlaunches etc. Every time I've ever decided to try and save a few bucks and go with the brushed setups, I've regretted it.
FWIW, don't fly the Spit till you are really decent at highwing, aileron planes. Make sure it's balanced properly, and make very sure you set the throws, especially the elevator to minimum amounts.
Best of luck with it,
J

redgiki
05-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm right there with Jagzilla. The price of LiPos is cheaper for the energy density compared to NiMH cells. There's little point going brushed and NiCD/NiMH unless required for a competition anymore.

(You can pick up a 2100mAh 10C 3S LiPo for $40 these days. An equivalent-weight NiMH 1000mAh pack is really close to the same price.)

mellow2990
05-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the advise will take it to heart for sure :) If I could ask a dumb question I would really appreciate some advise. I plan on useing a receiver and transmitter from another plane on the Spit. So if I get a li-po battery and a brushless moter and esc to match are receivers usually made so you can use any size battery with them? I should know this but I don't thanks :_

redgiki
05-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah, your receiver doesn't care. Just make sure it's getting a steady 4-7 volts, and you're generally golden. Some tolerate lower or higher voltage (one of mine is rated for 3-9 volts), but you may have trouble with servos at higher voltages.

Anyway, the BEC on your ESC will do the job just fine, providing a usable range of power for your receiver as long as you operate within its capabilities. If you start driving too many servos, or run too high of a voltage through it, though, you may burn out the BEC. This is why a lot of us use a separate "ubec-style" deal to handle our servos. I use the ParkBEC, and it works great for any servo load requiring up to about 2 amps.

bassmanh
06-02-2006, 04:21 AM
Jag,

my spit finaly flew ;) had it out today and it flew for the first time. i was actually quite pleased as it ROG from a grass strip very easy and was in the air before i new it. wasnt a speed demon or anything but flew well.

the duration was a bit shorter than i like with the 1100 mah nimh's so i will have to buy a couple packs with higher MAH's . otherwise i like it and will enjoy flying it.

bassman

Jagzilla
06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear it, Bassman! I also did a maiden yesterday...an Ultrafly Outrage, which went really well for me as well.
J

maiden crash
01-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey Guys Im liking the looks of this plane and might consider it for my next. Im really trying to make a right decision since I am only 14 years old and cant afford to throw out any money. Do you guys find it to be a ood plane with plenty of power?

Help very much appreciated
Thanks

Trexzation
01-10-2007, 03:47 AM
How do you guys place the lipo inside? where do you install the servos for the elevator and rudder?down at the rear or inside the belly? please post some pics. Thanks

bassmanh
01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Trex,

heres a couple pics of the inside of my spit with the servo locations and also showing where the battery goes in the nose of the plane for balance reasons.

hope these help.

bassman

Trexzation
01-19-2007, 03:49 AM
Do you guys need to bend the wheels outward in order to prevent it from dipping when taxing or landing?

Trexzation
01-30-2007, 04:44 AM
I finally maiden mine too. Really loves this plane
WIth the stock brushless motor,stock folding props and 2100mah batt 18C this spit really could ripped the sky. And the amp drawn is around 20. Great plane!!!

Now i just wished that TWM would make some more warbirds the like focke wulfe,me,warhawk etc :D

rick brayford
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
A thunderpower 2100 3 cell would fit. The wider style, like a tanic, wouldn't fit. In other words the long, slender, rectangular style of battery fits just fine. I used the world models outrunner. It was pulling around 15 or so amps on the bench, doing around 150 watts on the wattmeter. Moved the plane nicely!
J

Hi People
I have been flying the world models spitfire for about a month now.
I have the KM 283010 outruner and Li Po 2200ma Parkzone combination. I also use the supplied folding 10x6 prop.
It really does push this little baby along. I suspect i may be pushing the motor a little hard, but no problem with 10 min flights on full - three quarter throttle. The same battery with the 480 canned 3.3 gearing seems mighty slugish in comparison.
rick

tz250w
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I'll be maidening mine tomorrow if the weather is right. I put a Hyperion Z3007-20 (kv1580), a Waypoint 35 amp ESC and a Hyperion 3S 20C 2500mAh lipo in it. 250 watts on a 9X4.5 APC prop and peak of 28 amps. The motor is oversized, the battery required a bit of dremel work to fit but the CG is spot on. Flying weight is just over the 740g on the box at 760.

I also put on some 50mm sponge tires and a sponge tailwheel as our club runway is a river bed of semi-soft sand...

Wish me luck. I expect it to go like a bat out of hell, and land like one as well...

rick brayford
05-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi Max
Blue skies for your maiden.
Watch you don't rip the wings off her with that power train of yours.
Well done on keeping your AUW down to 740gm. Mine weighs in at 715gm with about 15 gm of lead in the nose for CG.
And yes I do find mine wanting to take to the air again after touchdown. I find the glide rate much better than anticipated, hence you can bring her in on finals quite slow.
I got some of the main wing twist out of mine and I am waiting for weather to clear and calm to see what effect it may have(and hopefully remove the trim tab). Also, the model shop has a new wing on order, free of charge.
Let me know how your spit went on her first sortie,
rick

tz250w
05-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Let me know how your spit went on her first sortie,
rick

Well, you've heard of bamboo skewers right? Mine got bamboo skewered on my first roll out to check elevator trim. Lifted off about a foot then set it down, bugger kept on rolling and it found the only dead bamboo branch on the ground pointing at it within 100 meters!

Damage is minimal, just a hole through the film on the left wing and a dent in one rib. A dent in my pride kept me from trying again that day, maybe again this coming weekend if the winds are nice (it was really too windy last Saturday, well until late afternoon when everything calmed down except me...).

I got some good thin mylar adhesive film to patch it up and will break out the airbrush this week. My son thinks it looks like an ack hit. :red:

rick brayford
05-31-2007, 12:57 PM
jag,
im very happy to hear the spit flies well, i just got back from vacation and now the weather here is CRAP windy, rainy, for the next almost week. the R/C gods are not smileing on me :( so i have not flown mine yet.

i wonder if the spit will fly as well on the 9.6 volt packs ? or maybe i just need to buy a couple of li-pos for it right away ?

also what where your flight times using that pack ? thanks again for the post ;)

bassman

bassman
If your pocket can can afford it go for the LiPos.
I am still flying my spit with supplied outrunner motor on 2200ma Parkzone LiPos. I get 10mins
flights safely on mostly full power (8mins). There is a two minute wind down where you noticicbly are losing power but I still havn't driven it into "cut off" before landing. Esc is an 18-25amp SWORD.
With two of these batteries I rotate on the charger (rate 1C) and get three 10min flights every two hours on a big day at the flying field.
Just beautiful.

rick

rick brayford
05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
That's a bugger.
Did it favour a left hand turn? Was it an electronic problem?
I had to calm down all control surfaces as I have no exponential on my transmitter.
Steady as she goes.
rick

tz250w
05-31-2007, 11:47 PM
The problem was a crappy runway that was too short for the crappy pilot trying to fly it. I was surprised at how much it just wanted to keep on rolling, not an electrical problem, probably the fact that it weighs a lot more than my fleet of EPP and foam planes AND has really cool looking 50mm sponge wheels that keep it on top of the sand, mud and debris we fly off of.

My Waypoint ESC has various brake functions (with a card you set dip switches on). I set it to no brake (comes "soft brake" from the factory) but now I'm wondering if maybe I do want that prop to slow down a bit quicker...

rick brayford
08-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to your flight report on this bird, bassmanh. I've noticed there seems to be not a lot of enthusiam being generated about this plane. The world models p-51 was, and still, is a big deal when it first came out. I am really looking forward to getting my Spit! I'm especially cursious to know how well that brushless is going to work out. I know I'll be putting some sort of apc prop on it, and loosing the folding prop. Probably will use one of the new 1500 Mah 3 cells I have. They are rated 20C discharge.
J

My world modele epit has flown about
50 sorties now and still going strong. The undercarraige i getting a little weak but hopefully easily rectified with piano wire and slightly bigger wheels.
I fly on 2200ma lipos, 3s. I get 10 mins on full power.
rick

tz250w
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Been a while... :roll:

I finally got the Spit in the air a couple weeks ago. No pictures but a friend invited me to fly at my old base (spent 4 years there in the Marines, '84~'88), MCAS Iwakuni (Japan). Funny, the "runway" was built during my last year or so there as a Marine and looked pretty much the same except for a bunch of ground clutter around that I don't remember being there 20 years ago. The runway is a short strip of asphalt, but now there is a berm to the right, some prefab buildings and a big wood chipper machine parked in the pits.

We can only fly EARLY in the morning on the weekend. I have to be signed in as I am no longer connected to the military. Unfortunately the sun is right in front of us so it's tough on the eyes.

The take off was smooth, WAY over powered with the motor I have in it so half throttle gets it up. After a (tiny) bit of trim and using the slightly longer throw I had setup for elevator things were going great. It's a bat out of hell on full throttle with the Z3007 motor and 3S 2500 MHa battery but also a bit on the heavy side. Full throttle produces a bit of torque roll at lower speeds but if used well, really makes it scream.

On my first flight I left the soft brake enabled. A bit spooky on landing the "first" time but no big problems. As I'm used to my lighter electrics, I found it a cross between them and my nitro .32 sport plane.

It did have a tendancy to tip stall if I wasn't on it at all times.

The second flight was later in the morning with some screwy wind. Blowing one way one minute, and swirling the next. I had the soft brake off that time and it took me 4 or 5 passes to set up a landing, just couldn't get the speed down and keep it stable in the wind (probably the weight). I was wishing I would have left the soft brake on as the static prop slowed it down quick. No brake left it spinning and the weight + wing loading kept her moving fast. Finally on the deck, not exactly a text book landing but no damage and she's now back on display in my living room.

I might take it out again this weekend as I'm going back down there. I've really gotten hooked on helis over the past few months and my planes have gathered dust a bit... They are still my first love though so nothing to worry about. The heli just has so much more to learn and I kept at it hard...

Jagzilla
09-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Glad to hear you guys are getting enjoyment with your Spits. I allways thought the WM Spit was a well built, and good value for the money aircraft.
Jaggy

rick brayford
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Max
Bummer about your runway obstacles.Maybe you need to find a longer runway.
It is true, this little bird really takes some pulling up to keep it on the ground during landing. The only downfall of this model is it's minimal ground handling (although my old instructor took it on an early maiden and it was butter in his hands, he even taxied it back to the hangar).
Take a longer final leg if space permits, cut power completely at ten feet10ft from ground which should coincide with threshol;d of runway then, feather her in. Remember as you lose air speed, crank higher TX throws into control surfaces. Also, forget landing this little tail dragger with any cross wind (or work mighty fast as soon as her wheels are on the ground.
But who am I to be giving advice to an ex Marine whos probably spent more time in aircraft than most of us put together.
Skydive
rick

rick brayford
09-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Jaggy
How is your fairing up?
I really have got to know mine now and they call her the grey ghost at the flying club. Ride the power rihgt and you can climb her mighty fast up there with the big models and gliders (if your eysight is good enough, which i have been pushing lately and nearly lost her to the gods last week).
rick

tz250w
09-21-2007, 12:10 AM
But who am I to be giving advice to an ex Marine whos probably spent more time in aircraft than most of us put together.
Skydive
rick

:Q

More like "under" them... I was ground maintenance, cryogenics to be exact.

Did go for a ride in a bunch though! ;-)

Anyhow, back on topic. Funny you mention the cross wind. Everyone was bagging on me for the larger wheels I put on it. On the second sortie landing, the cross wind caught it just after setting down and blew the tail around. It was still moving "forward" with authority but at a 90 degree angle of attack... My big wheels, plus the sturdy World Models main gear let it bounce like a pogo stick to a stop. No damage and lots of laughs. :red:

tz250w
09-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Just one more word of praise for "World Models" landing gear. My .32 Sports Trainer is also a WM job. With even larger wheels I managed a safe emergency landing in a river bed full of grapefruit size rocks two weeks ago after the engine cut out. I thought it would be ripped to shreads, not even a scratch (except for one tip of the prop). They may look like overkill, but they do the job.

Jagzilla
09-21-2007, 12:41 AM
I actually sold mine quite a while ago, Rick. It went to a new home, while still being in absolutely perfect shape. I then went to a 48 inch wingspan HK Spit, which was a real speed demon till a bungled handlaunch did some frontend damage. I'm in the process of a fix up on that one. I keep eyeing the H9 arf Spit as a future project, as I allways seem to need a Spit of some sort in my stable.
Jag

tz250w
10-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Got in a bunch of flights yesterday and today, really fun, half throttle for scale and full throttle for WARP. Bloody fast, and would climb forever.

Got me landings down pat, taxi to the van. All sorts of compliments...

Then...

On my last flight of the day I did a nice fast low pass, went inverted, pulled up in an Immelman (still inverted), a snap roll and split S back to the deck, hard banking right turn and...

Mush.

I was flying a wet rag at this point, aileron input (any) sent it into a flip flop. Trying to bring it back aound (elevator was still good) I at least got it pointed away from the river it was over but it splashed down, a few meters from the bank in knee deep water.

Not a very hard crash, in fact everything looked good except the steam coming out of it (ESC fried).

Then when I got it back to the car I find the ribs around where that bamboo went through months ago all broken, leading and trailing edges as well. The main spar still seems intact but the wing will just twist in my hand.

Fuse is in perfect shape, if you don't count the stench absorbed from fried IC chips.

I think I'll rebuild the wing over the winter. I have one good half to pattern from.

It was a blast while it lasted, really fun to fly but definately overpowered and overweight for the design.

rick brayford
11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Bad luck max
I smashed mine last week ( sloppy ground check) but managed to purchase ehough airframe to get her back in the air.
Attended a warbird fly in. She was the smallest model of the day (50 planes) but performed admirably.

tz250w
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
She'll fly again. And maybe look better than before. I'm thinking about adding flaps when I rebuild the wing and will airbrush it. Some oil coolers... Hmm... I already know it has the power, just needs the strength (and I can sacrifice a bit more weight for that). The flaps will make landing the beast easier.

Glad you got yours back up quick!