PDA

View Full Version : Voice over IP

Geoff_Gino
02-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi

Any members out there that have SKYPE or have heard of it?

Fly Away Ohm
02-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Geoff,

Yes, I have got Skype and use it to keep in touch with friends in South Africa, for free! You need broadband, skype software and a suitable microphone and speaker arrangement. To use it for free the person you are calling needs the same set up. You can use either a headset, a microphone and your pc speakers or you can get a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol, I Think!) telephone handset that just plugs into a USB socket. These are readily available on eBay. Download the skype software, plug in the phone and away you go! I guess you have heard that one before but this honestly was the easiest software/ hardware installation I have ever done, it really did work first time! You can also call landlines and mobiles worldwide but they do charge for this. Computer to Computer is free, but computer to landline or mobile is still much cheaper than any other way of doing it I know of. Don't know how they do it for free or for how long it remain so get it while you can!

It is a piece of cake to use, there is no time delay or interference and the sound quality is the same, if not better, than a normal landline.

Good Luck!

Geoff_Gino
02-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Great to hear - I am registered for Skype and am looking for RC'ers to talk to.

User name is geoffogden if you'd like to give me a call.

RickG
02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
It would be cool if there were a link in the user info panel (...the one over there on the left) for Skype, like there is for IM...

Don Sims
02-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Rick, please put that idea in the suggestions forum so Marc can take a look at it. That would be a nice addition if it's doable.

RickG
02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks Don... done.

Geoff_Gino
02-21-2006, 05:30 AM
OK

Now all I need is someone to talk to :-)

admin
02-21-2006, 06:12 AM
This will be coming in the next forum software upgrade!

Stig atle steffensen
02-21-2006, 06:12 AM
my skype-name is Hedphelym.

RickG
02-21-2006, 08:30 PM
This will be coming in the next forum software upgrade!

Wow! ... you guys are fast. Thanks Marc.