PDA

View Full Version : Help castle phoenix 35 will not upgrade from V1.14 firmware

justplainold
06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
i have re-connected, re-tried upteen times, tried a earlier beta upgrade
all no go, the castle link says it cannot communicate with the device
(the link lights still blink and on the thrid time the green light goes out)

tried going back to v3.12 castlelink software, same thing as v3.13.... very annoying....

my thunderbird esc's upgraded fine, this phoenix 35 will not

any ideas ?

flydiver
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
How old? There is a cut off somewhere back and it doesn't work. They will replace for the stock repair price ($25?).

justplainold
06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
How old? There is a cut off somewhere back and it doesn't work. They will replace for the stock repair price ($25?).

actually i just took it out of the package, haven't put connectors on it yet

they'll need to handle this one without a charge, i am not putting more $ in it

flydiver
06-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Give 'em a call. If it is of recent vintage and won't update I think they'll take care of it.

justplainold
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Give 'em a call. If it is of recent vintage and won't update I think they'll take care of it.

i spent last season trying out a Sidewinder esc in a rc18, worked great in the heat and cold, the castlelink works perfect with it

over the winter i migrated my planks to thunderbird esc's, so far so good

so i figured to migrate (for the governor feature) to castle phoenix gear on my helis and this happens

hate to seem grumpy :<: and thanks, i hope they do

Larry3215
06-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Check the rx lead connectors to be sure all the pins are in tight and making good contact. Sometimes one pin will be loose in the plastic housing and not make good contact when you plug it in.

It doesnt happen often but you could have gotten a dud.

Like he said, call Castle tomorrow and they will talk you through it and replace it if needed.

Castle will take good care of you no matter what. They are the best at warranty stuff and generally go over board in the customers favor if anything.

I only fly Castle esc's and its largely for that reason - aside from the performance. They are the best bang for the buck out there.

justplainold
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
hi Larry3215, flydiver,

ok, just got off the phone with the helpful tech people at Castle and :D

although i'm scratching my head, and even though there are only two and they are on the same side of the mobo of my laptop
the solution was to switch usb ports...

it made the difference for the phoenix 35 to update and yes, it made no difference for the Sidewinder or the Thunderbird(s)

i have a few years in the hole in r/c and comp systems, so this is one that goes in the "ummmkay" file 'o wisdom :rolleyes:

but hey, the lights blink and governor mode is reality! w00t!

Thank you,
Robert

justplainold
06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I only fly Castle esc's and its largely for that reason - aside from the performance. They are the best bang for the buck out there.

hey Larry3215,

what you said, that is why i migrated.

well, that and it's an American company, providing actual jobs for Americans

If there were a Kraft r/c today, i'd buy and fly it too

anyway, enough flag waving, thanks for the help!

Robert

flydiver
06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
There's something 'funny' about the Link and USB ports. I have one PC (HP with Intel MB) it absolutely will NOT work on. I even tried a new USB 2.0 board - no go. Works fine on 3 other PC's. Support was very nice but simply could not figure it out. Go figure.

justplainold
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
There's something 'funny' about the Link and USB ports. I have one PC (HP with Intel MB) it absolutely will NOT work on. I even tried a new USB 2.0 board - no go. Works fine on 3 other PC's. Support was very nice but simply could not figure it out. Go figure.

no doubt its an x file thing but still, i'll take the usb over any hardwired logical unit system :)

Larry3215
06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Blame it on Windows :)

Larry3215
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM
hey Larry3215,

what you said, that is why i migrated.

well, that and it's an American company, providing actual jobs for Americans

If there were a Kraft r/c today, i'd buy and fly it too

anyway, enough flag waving, thanks for the help!

Robert

Same here. I used to harp about that but it just falls on deaf ears for the most part. It seems like most people are into "cheep is better" and they accuse companies like Castle of "over charging" and talk about $10 esc's from Hobby King.

Sheesh.

Larry3215
06-08-2009, 06:51 PM
hi Larry3215, flydiver,

ok, just got off the phone with the helpful tech people at Castle and :D

although i'm scratching my head, and even though there are only two and they are on the same side of the mobo of my laptop
the solution was to switch usb ports...

it made the difference for the phoenix 35 to update and yes, it made no difference for the Sidewinder or the Thunderbird(s)

i have a few years in the hole in r/c and comp systems, so this is one that goes in the "ummmkay" file 'o wisdom :rolleyes:

but hey, the lights blink and governor mode is reality! w00t!

Thank you,
Robert

Thats the first time Ive heard that. Im going to have to remember it.