PDA

View Full Version : BE2c pics

tim hooper
02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi all,

I'm not at all sure if the BE2c actually qualifies as a 'warbird', but I thought I'd post a few pics of mine! ;)

I built it in 2003 from a Peter Rake freebie plan in a magazine and was the first scale model I'd built. Still flying today, this little model is a delight to fly in calm conditions and excels at lazy take-offs and slow fly-bys.

The S400 motor (remember them?) is mounted in the worlds noisiest Mini-Olympus 2.33:1 gearbox and turns a 9x5 wooden prop. The sound it makes it very evocative of an old petrol engine that's had all the valve adjustments slackened right off as it gently clatters by!

Covered in cream Litespan, with spruce struttery.

Although the original plan depicts the model as a one-piece item, I've made the wings removable as complete cells which simply plug on to carbon fibre dowels. I've since used this method on other, bigger models woithout incident.

Control is rudder/elevator/throttle only. The arm on the elevator servo actually protrudes from one side of the fuselage and is directly connected to one half of the (joined) elevators. The linkage on the other side is purely cosmetic and uses a spare servo arm that's free to pivot on a screw.

Span 36"
AUW 20oz
Cells 7x600AE nicads

Just thought I'd share!

tim

bennylaird
02-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Course it's a Warbird Tim, we all know WWI Warbirds rock. How goes the AW? Still got all it's wings?

tim hooper
02-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Course it's a Warbird Tim, we all know WWI Warbirds rock. How goes the AW? Still got all it's wings?

Hi Benny,

Good to hear from you! :)

The AW is still flying well (although not as often as it should).

You still got a thing for Avro 504s?

tim

Ron
04-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Tim...nice looking little model......Pete sure has a lot of plans out eh??
fouled up any CNC machinery lately??