PDA

View Full Version : SIG Fokker DVII Struts

4everEngland
06-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I recently purchased A SIG Fokker DVII. The struts are very flimsy - the wood is the consistency of thin cardboard. I could rub them with CA to harden them up, cut new ones out of thin plywood, or heavily modify an old set of E-Flite SE5a struts that I have lying around. Any other ideas, anyone? I am really leery of the struts as they are - they just don't seem stiff enough.

dbcisco
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm building one now. Will let you know when I get to that point. They are better than GWS and worse than E-flite. I don't want to add weight though.

7car7
06-18-2009, 08:46 PM
On my tiger moth, I added some thin strips of balsa (1/32 thick) to the struts. Much stiffer, and my scale doesn't notice it. ;-)

4everEngland
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Good idea - I considered doing something similar. However, I ended up modifying some old E-Flite SE5a struts. The interplane struts were easy to do, but the cabine struts were a real pain - I'm still not finished with them. Can maybe finish tonight. This SIG kit has potential, but the wood parts (struts, servo tray, firewall, tail skid, etc) leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

7car7
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I think with some of these models, (like the Tiger Moth too) you just have to go into them with the frame of mind that you're building from scratch, and you just happened to find a couple pieces in a box that look similar to what you want to end up with. I don't really know much about this particular model, but some of these should not really be called an ARF - more like a kit that needs some creativity.

dbcisco
06-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I think with some of these models, (like the Tiger Moth too) you just have to go into them with the frame of mind that you're building from scratch, and you just happened to find a couple pieces in a box that look similar to what you want to end up with. I don't really know much about this particular model, but some of these should not really be called an ARF - more like a kit that needs some creativity.

Ditto!!!!!!!!

degreen60
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I do not have a Sig DVII but I converted a Sterling DVII. The real DVII had oval tubes for struts. I used carbin fiber arrow shafts for struts on my model.

4everEngland
06-19-2009, 07:58 PM
7car7 - You are exactly right! Most of these World War One ARFs have their deficiencies (horrific "wheels", machine guns that are unconvincing or completely lacking, rigging made out of cotton thread which doesn't even remotely resemble wire, etc). All you can do is use the good parts and upgrade the rest yourself. The extra effort is worth it, though.

WWI Ace
06-22-2009, 02:39 AM
My Sig DVII flew great with only the addition of a outrunner motor and carbon fiber rods taped under the wings. Steve

dbcisco
06-22-2009, 02:52 AM
My only problem with the kits is that they are called ARF's instead of kits. I would like to pay for them with ARC checks. Almost Ready to Cash - blank piece of paper and a pencil.:D

4everEngland
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Steve (WWI Ace) - What brushless motor did you use in your SIG Fokker DVII? I was thinking about putting an E-Flite 300 in mine. Any feedback would be appreciated!

WWI Ace
06-28-2009, 04:10 AM
I stuck a Eflite Park 370 in mine. The 300 should fly it though. It was a fun plane but I finally wore it out. Steve

dbcisco
06-28-2009, 05:19 AM
I just installed the stock cabane struts on the Sig D.VII. With both sections together it seems pretty rugged, not sure about the outer struts though the flex will probably help with the dihedral.

kdahlhaus
09-01-2014, 01:40 AM
I just picked up one of these on Ebay. Looking forward to puttering around in front of the house with it.

floss
01-29-2015, 03:28 AM
I also never had a problem with the stock struts and the plane was repowered from new. The only problem I had because of the power increase was the lower wing wanting to fold during flight when things got a bit rough. In the end I placed a carbon fibre rod across the lower wing which stopped the flexing, it can be seen in the attached picture. Also I have attached a pic of the GWS motor mod.
A great little flyer, both the SIG DVII and Jenny are perfect trainers from my experience with them.

Steve

fhhuber
01-29-2015, 03:33 AM
Cut the strut V or N from thin aircraft plywood depends on scale of model as to thickness) Then laminate balsa on both sides to carve/sand into the correct shape.

Very strong and very light.

Ronald86
01-29-2015, 07:30 AM
Where to get kit of "SIG Fokker DVII" planes? I really want to have one.

fhhuber
01-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Discontinued... so E-Bay.

Might be able to find the plans somewhere. Sig was good about putting drawings of all parts on the plans.