PDA

View Full Version : Hard cut off problem I need help

Epowerreg
02-23-2006, 05:23 AM
On 10 cells and hard I cant go to full throttle wihtout it cutting off for more than 2 seconds.. on 9 cells everything works but only on hard cut .well.. on soft cut i dont hear any power sag but the brake fails after only 4 or 5 burts and it just spins even in my shop ..also the brake fails on 9 or 10 cells and soft cut is this normal ? also the brake fails in hard cut when lowering the throttle..when battery is half way down.. the brake only works best ( most)when going to full throtlle and letting it cut off..

Jason T
02-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Is this the Jeti controller you mentioned in the other thread? Which specific contoller is it? What is the power setup? Do you know the amp draw?

Epowerreg
02-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Its the Hyperion 80 A opto it should be about 34--38 amps on 9 or 10 cells as listed on various websites showing the axi 2820 turning a 12 X 6 graupner cam prop the motor is barely warm.

Jason T
02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Hyperion line of controllers. Have you talked to the person or shop where you bought it?

Epowerreg
02-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Ive talked to the shop where i got it..they will exchange it if I need to im going to try programming now. You dont know ifd lowering the cut off voltage will make the brake work more often by any chance?
Thanks

Jason T
02-24-2006, 11:41 PM
I see the low voltage cutoff as a safety mechanism to prevent you from draining the battery beyond a safe point and to reserve battery to operate servos to land once low voltage cutoff kicks in.

Having said that maybe the controller does not want to send current to the motor to stop the prop after you hit low voltage cutoff. But that would not explain why it works on 9 cells instead of 10 cells. Does the controller have auto detect for batteries? If it does, maybe it is not determining the pack size correctly.

Epowerreg
02-25-2006, 02:45 AM
There isnt any choice without programming for nicad nimh i guess it auto detects when i unplug it then reset battery type the brake works again cause like you said its removing the brake to protect the batteries.
You got it..
Thanks

Epowerreg
05-17-2006, 02:57 AM
I sent back the hyperion 80a esc and got a 2nd one and also got the program cable and software the thing still does not brake right and now the price has been lowered... it also runs hotter a bit not much compared to a jeti.. I got a jeti and caslte they work fine...it was the esc hyperions have problems at least 2 i got did.

My 61 inch hotliner thermals well when not directly overhead. I like to fly a bit down wind.. If anyone likes thermaling I have a new dot com selling Videos on how to thermal.
www.howtothermal.com (http://www.howtothermal.com)