PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber strand for my Bub's

Bub Steve
07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I got a spool of from the owner of my Boatyard,:Q, kinda thick but you can strip it to any size or thickness you'd need:roll: (same stuff they get $2.30 a foot for in LHS::o ), I got plenty to go around,:D, PM me if you need some and PASS IT ON!:ws:! bubsteve PS I'll be send'in 10' Ft per bub unless you ask for more or less,

Bub Steve
07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I got a spool of from the owner of my Boatyard,:Q, kinda thick but you can strip it to any size or thickness you'd need:roll: (same stuff they get $2.30 a foot for in LHS::o ), I got plenty to go around,:D, PM me if you need some and PASS IT ON!:ws:! bubsteve PS I'll be send'in 10' Ft per bub unless you ask for more or less,
Hey carbonBubs::Only 900' left :Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q
I was expecting a rush on this so I stocked up on mail'in bag's ETC,,:D only two takers so far,:roll:, bubstevePS I got the postage covered:ws:

confuzshuz
07-06-2009, 11:48 PM
what's carbon fiber strand? Not sure what it is, but I'll take some. I'm sure I can use it for something.

Nitro Blast
07-07-2009, 12:10 AM
I can use some carbub fibub for sure.

PMd

Bub Steve
07-07-2009, 12:24 AM
what's carbon fiber strand? Not sure what it is, but I'll take some. I'm sure I can use it for something.
Con'Fuzshuz::1000's of tiny carbon threads that are near wieghtless but Superstong, The strand I have is 1/4"X1/16th" , you can split it up as narrow as you wish, I like to "wet-out" the fibers on a board by putt'in some epoxy down the length of the strand you use'in and lay it down then put a little more on top and spread with small brush to soak-in then brush a thin coat of epoxy where you putt'in on the plane or whatever your bond'in,,clean brush and fingers with VINAGER as it's better and safer than solvents like acetone Etc, you can use superglue on wraped idems (wheel struts and the like) but it may smoke some with CA ( no biggie just don't Breath it!!) I love the stuff,:$ Mustangman gave me some awhile back and I used it-up,:{ We laid-up a carbon-fiber mast a while back and my boss reminded me we had plenty leftover and gave me a WHOLE SPOOL!!!::o bubsteve:ws:

Bub Steve
07-07-2009, 01:09 AM
I got six packages ready to go tomorrow:cool:, 260' Feet gone so far,,:ws: bubsteve:)

groundrushesup
07-07-2009, 01:12 AM

Its also called carbon fiber tow (as in the things on the end of your feet).

Think of it as the yarn they use to weave carbon fiber mesh before they saturate it with resin and compress it into hard bits lol

I soaked a bunch of it in a mix of 75% 5-min epoxy and 25% denaturned alcohol and used it to strengthen the leading edge of one of my styrofoam chucker projects:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102164&d=1243709343

Works great! Also its good for lashign around home-made control rods, or around bendy aluminum landing gear struts.

You'll find it VERY handy.

GRU

Bub Steve
07-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I got some of the carbon toe wrapped around stale cigars out of my humidor so don't smoke um!!!::o! (they were handy as I ran out of tube ):roll: Some are hand-wrapped Dominicans :Q:Qbubsteve:ws:

balloon bandit
07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey carbonBubs::Only 900' left :Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q
I was expecting a rush on this so I stocked up on mail'in bag's ETC,,:D only two takers so far,:roll:, bubstevePS I got the postage covered:ws:

May I please have 2 of the lengths?
Does the toe make the cigars taste any better?::o

Bub Cliff

flydiver
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I would appreciate 2 'lots'.
Good karma on you fine deed.
I'll PM the particulars.

fly

Gnascher
07-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I'll take two as well.

Never pass up a deal on building materials!

Bub Steve
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
May I please have 2 of the lengths?
Does the toe make the cigars taste any better?::o

Bub Cliff
makes um hard to light!!!:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q bubsteve

Bub Steve
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll take two as well.

Never pass up a deal on building materials!
PMed ya,, it's on the way,:ws:, bubsteve

max2112
07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Coop,

I would like to take you up on your offer, but we are in the middle of a move. Would you mind setting some aside for me and I will give you my mailing address ASAP? (It'll probably be around the 10th of August.)

Thanks either way, :)
John

Bub Steve
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Coop,

I would like to take you up on your offer, but we are in the middle of a move. Would you mind setting some aside for me and I will give you my mailing address ASAP? (It'll probably be around the 10th of August.)

Thanks either way, :)
John
You Bett'ca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Qbubsteve

kaycee
07-10-2009, 12:13 AM
I's like some of this to reinforce my new CAP and SU-31.

PM sent!

Thanks bubsteve:D

Bub Steve
07-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I's like some of this to reinforce my new CAP and SU-31.

PM sent!

Thanks bubsteve:D
On it's way in time for your build:ws:!! bubsteve

proteus206
07-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Would you be willing to send 3 or more carbub fibub, aka 30'+, to N8N 2L9 Canada? We have a Heavy Lift comp coming up at the club and this would go a long way to keeping us from mandating hardhats!

Nitro Blast
07-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I got my goods, thanks Steve (button clicked!)

Rabbitcreekok
07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I got mine today, Steve. Thanks for the CF and the effort to get it to me.

Bub Steve
07-11-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm take'in a break after tonight as I've mailed 13 out so far and I need to re-up my envelopes & stamps, I'll be back to mail'in more soon,:ws: all my bub's so far who ask have income'in and are mailed:D (except two and they go Sat:roll:,) Be back on task next week,;-) ya'll's bubsteve

Grasshopper
07-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Steve, send me your Pay Pal addy and I'll shoot you a few bucks to help cover your shipping costs.

Voltron
07-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Steve,

You truly are one of the good guys. What a generous offer. PM sent.

Voltron

d&mrc
07-11-2009, 04:16 AM
I'll take some. I have no idea what I'll use it for, but you never know.

groundrushesup
07-11-2009, 05:37 AM
hey Stevebub are you by chance a Willie Nelson fan?

Grasshopper
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Got mine today Steve. Thanks! I like the center spool it is on.;):D

Bub Steve
07-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Oh heck ya!! bubsteve:ws::ws:

Bub Steve
07-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Got mine today Steve. Thanks! I like the center spool it is on.;):D
anything to help you build those Great look'in planes you do!! bubstevePS Tank's fly'in the VonHoppy this weekend!::o:D:ws:!(longtime Mullet-M member)

Slowjohn
07-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Thanks a lot Steve Ol'Buddy.

I've got a scratch built profile fuselage that I need to repair after losing the plane in the sun on final. It was so young too, only it's 2nd flight but now thanks to you she'll fly again stronger & better than before :D

Standing By,
SJ

Bub Steve
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
SJ::It'll be bullet-proof now! bubsteve

Nitro Blast
07-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Is that something people actually admit to? :ws:

groundrushesup
07-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Is that something people actually admit to? :ws:

Hey hey now. Let's keep it civil. I don't come to your house and laugh at your shrine to the Jonas Brothers. :Q:Q:Q

Bub Steve
07-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Ya'll Crack me up!! here's some tip's on carbon fiber'in stuff,,
,,lay precut strain on some cardboard with a lite coat of epoxy on the board where you lay the fibers then a lite coat over it holding one end down to keep fibers from pull'in apart, don't use alot, just enought to "wet out" the fiber (keep'in the wieght down) it's the fibers not the epoxy thats strong here!:cool:!I like the cheapist hobby brushs you can find and cut half the brisles off to make it stiffer, work the strain into the part real gentle like,,poke'in it's better than brush'in Don't overwork it as it'll fray, use at lease 30 min epoxy as you can use less, you can thin it with Lacker thiner (only a tiny tad if needed,, I seldom need it) as most alcohol is to weak a solvent, Clean up your brushes ( and fingers!!)with vinager white or brown don't matter,,, I'll start mail'in again next week,,:ws: bubsteve

Grasshopper
07-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for that info Steve. I was just about to ask for some tips on using it. I'd like to see where you guys are using this stuff. I'm always intereded in new ideas and uses.

confuzshuz
07-13-2009, 10:05 PM
my carbon strand came in last week. I forgot to tell you. Thanks again!

tiloldar
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
If you have any left and/or when you get back to it next week I would love some. What a great offer and if you send me a paypal addy I'll shoot you something to help cover the postage.
Tilo

sketchanderase
07-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I would like 2+ things please. I'll pm with address.

Bub Steve
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
If you have any left and/or when you get back to it next week I would love some. What a great offer and if you send me a paypal addy I'll shoot you something to help cover the postage.
Tilo
Tilodar:: PM me you address,, I may be able to get it out today!
My PC ^%$#*& this week-end and I lost some info on who got mailed out and who did'nt,:roll:,
:red:NOT TO WORRY!!:red:
this just means some of my bub's may get Two packages!:ws:!
I'm sure I got everyone's out today (some dbl's:Q)
Please if you don't get your's or I somehow missed you PM me and I'll get it out right away,bubsteve

Slowjohn
07-16-2009, 03:01 AM
SJ::It'll be bullet-proof now! bubsteve

...or at least close to it. As hard as it hit I'm surprised that the fuselage was the only thing that broke. It snapped the fiberglass arrow shaft clean in half that ran thru the fuselage so with that repaired and reinforced with the CF it hopefully will just bounce off the ground if it happens again :rolleyes:

Thanks Again &
Standing By,
SJ

sidecar53
07-19-2009, 02:34 AM
I got my package yesterday, Steve. Thanks much for the extras, too. Rick

bovick
07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
I've got a dollartree chuck glider conversion project that could certainly use some beefing up. I'll take 2 please :)

gfdengine204
07-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Steve,

Got the package, thanks a million!

sketchanderase
07-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I recieved mine. Thank you

Voltron
07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I got mine yesterday. Thanks again.

Voltron

gfdengine204
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Steve,

How well would this work for wrapping bent-wire gear and soaking with CA? Or do I HAVE to use epoxy?

Thanks again my bub!

Bub Steve
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Steve,

How well would this work for wrapping bent-wire gear and soaking with CA? Or do I HAVE to use epoxy?

Thanks again my bub!
Be very carefull use'in CA as It's reacts HOT and smokes just a little, It will kick very hard and the end tends to curl up a bit ( sand it off) I've used it that way though,,,
By the way,, Take your time prep'in so you end up with a mess as you only get ONE try this way!!,,you can use 5 min epoxy and just hold it when it starts to kick for a few min's,,
your not gonna believe this as it's not well known but VINEGAR is the best thing for clean'in up your tools & hands when use'in Epoxy , it stops the kick right away then dissolves it,,,,,rinse vinegar off tools well before use'in with epoxy again,,:ws::ws:Try It! :Dbubsteve

proteus206
07-23-2009, 04:50 PM
C/F came in today. Thanks a bunch!:D

Dorsal
07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Steve, I forgot to tell you my CF came in - Thanks! :tc:
(I actually don't know when it arrived, 'cause my wife handed me the envelope and said it had arrived "a day or two ago".) :<:

dbcisco
07-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Steve, I forgot to tell you my CF came in - Thanks! :tc:
(I actually don't know when it arrived, 'cause my wife handed me the envelope and said it had arrived "a day or two ago".) :<:
Bet she remembers every dumb thing you ever did though:D

flydiver
07-24-2009, 03:53 AM
Mine is here also. Big thanks. Major favorable karma be bestowed on you for your generosity.

fly

iflyrc1012
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
stevebub,
thanks for the c/f and for being a wattflyer buddy!!

groundrushesup
07-26-2009, 10:25 PM
stevebub,
thanks for the c/f and for being a wattflyer buddy!!

Ditto on the Dankes. I already used mine to w/ 5-minute epoxy to outline the LE of a depron profile wing. Harder than woodpecker lips!

Thanks!

GRU

Bub Steve
07-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Ditto on the Dankes. I already used mine to w/ 5-minute epoxy to outline the LE of a depron profile wing. Harder than woodpecker lips!

Thanks!

GRU
anything for my Bub!!
I beefed the Brio up and she to's Harder than woodpecker lips!:Q(GRU+you kill me!:Q) Been fly'in her near every day and can't believe the abuse she'll take (in the air,,no crash'in tera-firm'a yet:red:,) like a
whole new plane now!:D bubsteve

zoldar
08-03-2009, 05:51 PM
PM sent.

Thanks!

:D

Nitro Blast
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Steve!

Can you send me a 2nd batch? I need to repair the big Yak in a hurry so I dont miss Pheonix FEAR.

PLEASE!!!

J

sam94
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Im in the build of my personal design of a 4m wingspan foam glider, this stuff would really come in handy for reinforcing the wings and the rudder.

Could i please have some please, if you dont mind may i have 4 of them.

Thanks alot my old friend, i will send you my address and all that once you reply

Thanks

flyin_brian
08-04-2009, 01:13 AM
If possible could you be able to spare 2 more for me. I think it's awesome that you're willing to share and with your e-mail address I'd be willing to pay for shipping.

Jugnut
08-06-2009, 01:51 AM
you willing to ship to canada?

Bub Steve
08-06-2009, 02:20 AM
you willing to ship to canada?
I've sent two to my Canada Bub's so far PM me your Add, I'm gonna close this thread so I can get cayght up,, I think theres two I have'nt sent ( one to sam) and one other ?, If Anyone hasn't got theirs:roll: in the Mail Please PM me and I'll be caught up again and can reopen this thread,,:red:, I never thought the response would be so Great, I'll have a Hole-mess-o-stamps and stuff at the ready next time!:Q 400' gone so far:D,,Bubsteve

Jugnut
08-07-2009, 01:18 AM
hey steve did u get my pm? just wondering.
-Alex

Lieutenant Loughead
08-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Hey Steve -- if it's not too late, I'd be interested in a strand or two. I have no idea what it is, or how I'd use it, but I'm looking at it as a learning experience.

If you can send me some, please PM me. :)

Bub Steve
08-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey Steve -- if it's not too late, I'd be interested in a strand or two. I have no idea what it is, or how I'd use it, but I'm looking at it as a learning experience.

If you can send me some, please PM me. :)
PM me your Add:DBubsteve

Jugnut
08-07-2009, 02:35 AM
send me a pm if u got my pm and if u are able to spare some.
thanks a bunch,
-Alex

gfdengine204
08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Gone Fishin' - Be Back Later.

(Meaning, Steve asked this be closed for a bit)