PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Warbird"?

Sky Sharkster
02-25-2006, 02:28 AM
First off, I'm not trying to limit or qualify any contributions to this Forum; I was just wondering what the description of a "Warbird" might be. Websters defines "War" as "Armed conflict between nations or factions". Does that mean an aircraft had to be in combat to be a Warbird? That would eliminate planes that were designed between the wars and became obsolete before the next conflict. How about "Recon" aircraft? Is the L 19 Bird Dog a Warbird? Or the SR 71 or U2? To the best of my knowledge they weren't armed or used as weapons, but they could have an effect on the outcome of conflict. If D. Eisenhower flew around in a camo Piper Cub, does that make it a Warbird? What about prototypes that were built to military specs but didn't "fight"? The HE 100 comes to mind, as well as a few Howard Hughes' designs. Are the German jet designs (some of which never saw the light of day) Warbirds? What about military training aircraft like the AT-6 or Tiger Moth?
As I mentioned, opinions are not rules. Any subject that might include a "Warbird" is welcome here. By any definition!
Ron

Twmaster
02-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Methinks the the term 'warbird' covers any aircraft used for military purposes and displays appropriate military markings/insignias etc.

Ok, at least that is the definition I use. For example. A Douglas (now Boeing yech!) DC-9 in military livery was a C-9 Nightingale air ambulance.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/images/misc/c9/bin/c9_11.jpg

So to me that is a warbird too.

billrcpilot
02-25-2006, 02:54 AM
The pilot of a L-19 Bird Dog carried a side arm, guess that makes it a war bird. the early SR-71s (YF-12A) carried internal weapons

Bill
Retired USAF

Twmaster
02-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Didn't they 'field install' rockets (HE not smoke?) to the '19?

Big_Bird
02-25-2006, 03:04 AM
Ron, I think the definition of Warbird can be pretty broad. As for RC it is any scale or semi scale plane that carried it's mother countrie's military insignias. L19s, Stearmans, Jungmeisters, Waco CG-1A gliders, in military colors as well as trainers in military colors belong in the Warbird category. I participate in at least 2 Warbird flyins each year and these planes as well as fighters and bombers are all welcome. Sometimes a plane such as a Corsair in Reno Air Racing colors is not considered in Warbird category. This depends on the particular flyin. An ugly stick with stars and bars is not a Warbird.

When I take my Bücker Jungmeister to a flyin it can be in the Warbird category because it's color scheme was used by the Swiss Air Force. It can be considered a civilian plane because it has the N number on the tail and is in civilian service.

I hope this clears the water up for you rather than making it muddier.

Rittenflyer
02-26-2006, 03:24 PM
The pilot of a L-19 Bird Dog carried a side arm, guess that makes it a war bird. the early SR-71s (YF-12A) carried internal weapons

Bill
Retired USAF

I've heard accounts of L-19s carrying rockets and the pilots often flew with a bag of hand grenades in case they were brought down and needed to defend themselves (side-arms can only do so much). Also, pilots occasionally opting to carry a friend in the right seat who would shoot at targets of opportunity with an assault rifle; so the little recon bird occasionally had teeth. That's definately a warbird!

crxmanpat
02-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Would a C-130 be considered a "warbird"? Seems the general consensus would be "yes". I am in the middle of a GWS Cargotrans (might as well just call it a C-130) build, and want to create a build thread. Where would be the more appropriate place to post it, here, or in the Scale forum?

Pat

rcers
02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Methinks the the term 'warbird' covers any aircraft used for military purposes and displays appropriate military markings/insignias etc.
Yep I concur. Now the real question is - is it still a warbird when it is in civil use???

Big_Bird
02-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Yep I concur. Now the real question is - is it still a warbird when it is in civil use???
If you are going to a Warbird flyin then it strictly depends on who is running the show whether a Civilian Bronco is a Warbird or not.

The C-130 build would fit real well in the Electric Warbird section.

WWI Ace
02-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey all you C-130 guys,. What about the "Spooky" planes?

Sky Sharkster
03-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi Pat, my opinion is the C-130 is a "Warbird". There are some "cross-over" aircraft, like the KC-135 Tanker (air refueler) is really a Boeing 707 refitted. With the "Stars and Bars" it would be a Warbird but in commercial trim I guess it would be "Scale". I'd like to see everyone post here but some may be more comfortable with the "Scale" Forum. I guess the use of the plane (in the version being modelled)is as important as the trim or definition.
To WW1 Ace, If you mean the SR 71, U-2, and other later "Stealth" planes, I've come to agree with Tim and Big_Bird's comments that they would be "Warbirds". Recon, spying and other covert activities, even if carried out by unmarked aircraft (at least in my opinion) fall into a "Military" or "Para-Military" category. Now as far as an "Official" definition, I will leave that to our duly elected officials!
JMHO
Ron

WWI Ace
03-01-2006, 01:52 AM
I was referring to what I think is a C-130 gunship that does support for ground troops. I believe that this aircraft is often called a Spooky.

fasted623
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Actually, Spooky was the AC47 used in Vietnam. The AC130 is called Spectre. Nasty plane if your a bad guy. Two 40mm bofos anti-aircraft guns, a 105 mm big gun and two multi-barrled mini guns. Their unofficial slogan is "you can run but you will only die tried".

billrcpilot
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I flew the Thud in veitnam 1965-66 and F-4E's 1968-69 Now those were real Warbirds. But yes the AC47 and AC130 and any other bird in a combat theater is a war bird in my book

Bill
Retired USAF Thud driver

Rabbitcreekok
05-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Another variation of the Warbird definition is airplanes used in combat in WWII that burned Avgas. I don't see many WWI planes being refered to as Warbirds. Nor do I see a lot of post WWII planes refered to as Warbirds.

Not to put down the Jet fuel burners, but nostalgia is usually attached to the WWII Warbird. Now some time in the future, the oilburners will be Warbirds. That old nostalgia thing.

I happen to love the oilburners, especially the Phantom.