PDA

View Full Version : Cox Warbirds

billrcpilot
02-25-2006, 03:18 AM
After reading the article in the March issue of backyard flyer on the Cox Wing warbirds, i was wondering if i could use the servo's and reciever and maybe the motor from one of my old GWS warbirds in one of these planes :rolleyes:

Bill
Retired USAF

Twmaster
02-25-2006, 03:27 AM
There is a long thread about these birds here. Just use the search feature and pour a cup of coffee....

Ribcracker
03-01-2006, 02:49 AM
When I picked up the $20 Spitfire, I didn't realize you were supposed to; clip the connectors off a battery and speedy in order to solder directly to a charge plate, glue the plane together with your components sealed permanently inside so that if you have to make changes or adjustments you are just plain S.O.L. I said, "NO WAY!"
So I squeezed in a Hitek 2015, an 18 amp Thunderbird, a 2 cell 480TP, two HS-55s and fitted a GWS 5x3 prop.
I used packing tape to close the plane up so if I have to open it I can just slit the tape.
There are two small openings on the side for the charging port and kill switch which I used to feed out the battery lead (for charging) and the speedy lead (for connecting to the pack).
The cg is about quarter inch forward of where it should be but I won't add weight to the tail unless I have to.
On the bench it pulls 5.5 amps and the thrust blew stuff off my table so I expect I'll have more power than I'll need.
If the weather cooperates, I'll maiden in the morning.
I'll let you know what happens.

Grasshopper
03-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Not really sure why I did it but I just purchased a Cox P-40. I found them on clearance at www.dreamhobbies.com for $17.00 and couldn't resist. Since I'm new to electric, I'll put it away till I figure out what I'm doing. All of their Cox Warbirds are on clearance for $17.

Tom

Ribcracker
03-02-2006, 02:46 AM
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The little plane flew very well but very, very fast. It reminded me of an EDF jet. The turns had to be very wide and it was slow to react to the inputs. I moved the pushrods to the innermost holes on the horns but it's still not enough throw. It won't roll or stay inverted so maybe I need to mess with the cg some more. Inside loops are big and strong but outside loops are impossible. With the stick all the way forward the bird heads straight for the ground.
And she comes in hot, hot, hot so you'll need a lot of room to land. If you try to slow it down it just wants to drop out of the sky. My approach is to cut the power, coast out (like a bullet) about 100 yds., turn back(still without power), come in and then skip across the grass like a smooth stone on a quiet lake. But then comes the big smile. It really is a kick. I'm glad to have it in my hangar and I think it will get a lot of use.

d&mrc
02-02-2007, 01:43 AM
When it's all said and done, what is one of this little babies going to cost me?

Doc Holliday
02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
When it's all said and done, what is one of this little babies going to cost me?

Depends on what you have on hand already, we need more info. The plane itself with motor is $20.

d&mrc
02-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I do have a 7 cell 8.4v 300mah nihm batt, and a transmitter.O, these do have ailerons, right?

Doc Holliday
02-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I do have a 7 cell 8.4v 300mah nihm batt, and a transmitter.O, these do have ailerons, right?

No they are designed to fly with rudder but most guys fix the rudder and add ailerons. That 8.4 volt battery is too much and will fry your motor, needs to be a 7.2volt or a 2s lipo.

Ribcracker
02-02-2007, 08:45 PM
d&m, It really depends on how you want to do it. If you shop around you can find servos for $10-15 each, a receiver for $15-20, an esc for $20, A cheap brushless motor for $20, and a 2 cell lipo for $25. So let's see, with the plane we're looking at just a bit over a hundred. If you dash it to smithereens, buy another $20 plane and transfer your eqipment into it.
The electronics are getting cheaper every day. This is a good time for us RCers. Come join the fun!

Doc Holliday
02-04-2007, 07:37 PM

You could also buy the RTF version for $89.

d&mrc
02-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Where do you purchase the rtf?

Doc Holliday
02-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Where do you purchase the rtf?

http://coxmodels.com/

or

http://www.lukesrcplanes.com/

modfly
03-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Here is one of the RTF versions. It is a very good flier and I flew it right out of the box with no problems!:D comes with everything you need except the TX batteries. Just ignore those other planes in the pics.;)

rz22g
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Any one have mod suggstion for lipo change? I'm not one to fly one battery and then wait for a charge. Maybe a side hatch or slot in bottom of fuse to slide battery up into. My corsair should be here in a few days so I want to be ready.