PDA

View Full Version : Stinger Conversion

f9fken
02-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Anyone out there done conversion on Lanier Stinger 40 I have a spare kit and since I am selling off all my glow crap was wondering before I parted with it too.

Ken

SKYPILEIT
02-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I have a kit that I purchased before going almost all electric,I suppose it would be a straight forward conversion,the only real big mod would be making a large enuff access for the batt compartment.The area just behind the firewall would have to be hinged or have several magnets to allow it to be lifted off and removed for access.Couple hours work tops...
For motor selection,I was thinking the AXI 2814/12 on a 3 cell pack of Polyquest 3100s..this would be lighter than the glow Stinger and would make a nice hot sport flyer.
I'd start mine but I still have 3 planes nearing completion..I must finish these..!!

Matt Kirsch
03-03-2006, 01:43 PM
SKYPILEIT, yours must be the Stinger 10 or Stinger 20, as I wouldn't expect you to get "hot" performance from that combo on a .40-size plane. Especially if it's a Stinger, which isn't exactly the lightest sport plane on the planet. They come out "NiCd heavy" (i.e. 2lbs heaver than the average plane of that size/wingspan) with a glow engine.

With AXis, you've got a choice of either the 2826/12 or 4120/14, running a 4S or even a 5S LiPoly pack, and an 11x7 or 12x7 prop. There's also the Eflite Power 46 with the same battery/prop combo.

jonnyjetprop
03-06-2006, 04:50 PM
If you want, you can take quite a bit of weight out of the kit. Replace the lite ply sides with balsa. Contest balsa can replace the heavy sheeting on the wing. Cut out the foam between the cap strips.

Hope this helps.

John

ekotil
03-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I just maidened my Lanier Stinger 120. It was great. Possibly the best flying of some 30 or so electric powered planes I have done. Easy conversion consisting of an AXI 5330-18 on two pro series Predator 5s2p lipos.Jeti 90, UBEC, APC 17x10 that delivers 2111 watts at 56.6 amps fresh off the chargers(2 Astro 109's) with Electron 6 and 7 Hitec servos. AUW of 13.5 pounds gives virtually unlimited vertical with awesome roll rate and tight or huge loops. Inverted is easy and take offs and landings were non-issues. I put it up twice with no additional charging and got 15+ minutes at mixed throttle settings. The build was the easiest conversion I have done mostly because it is so big and it balanced so well. Big birds really do rule. Everybody should try one. The Stinger is all that Lanier says it is and I trust this would hold true in all the sizes that they build it.