PDA

View Full Version : 1st crash pics in thread.

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Well this isn't my plane, but a friend who was flying with me yesterday. We both had our formosa's out, and during a low altitude knife edge, he banked left instead of right and put it into the dirt. Both wings cracked and the fuse broke too. It was due though, as this plane was more epoxy then foam anyways.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/flying2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/flying11.jpg

bubbagates
07-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Sorry to see that. We have a few of these roaming around our club abd even though I do not own one I have flown one and what a plane. Nice and responsive and a toital blast to fly.

At least they're pretty inexpensive

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah bubba - I love mine - here is a photo of her - no crashes yet, knock on wood - hopefully I won't have to post an 'after' pic to this 'before' one.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/flyin2.jpg

guapoman2000
07-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I called Castle Creations technical Department and talked to a person named "Joe" at extension 119. He confirmed that the PHX-25 have been modified to operate with a more robust BEC setups and that the old ones have a tendancy to overheat.
The Following is a letter to Castle Creations and hope to receive a newer PHX-25 with the modified electronics that would avoid another crash occurance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my setup:
Hobby Lobby mini-Telemaster 48 inch wing span (16 3/4 oz. Fully Flight Ready)
Castle Creations PHX-25
E-Flite Park 370 Outrunner (1080 Rpm/ Volt)
APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 7.5 Prop.
Thunder Power 1320mAH, 3S1P, Li-POLY
(3) GWS Naro STD servos for Aileron, Rudder and Elevator
Max AMP draw @ Wide Open Throttle 8.53 AMPs
Issue and Crash description:
My Hobby Lobby mini-Telemaster that weighs 16 3/4 oz. and powered with the E-Flite Park 370 outrunner (1080 RPM/VOLT) with 3 GWS Naro STD servos for Aileron, Rudder, and Elevator had been flying for 20 flights and last Sunday morning (July17th, 2005) it was flying level and prior to this I shut down the motor for a nice 2 minute glide to bring her back 25 feet and I throttle up gently (never go more than 1/2 throttle) and commanded her to perform a roll manuver and the motor just quit at the half roll and she started to nose in and I attempted to reset the ESC and bring her back to level flight and nothing....she was a complete "Dead" model.
Measured AMP draw on this direct drive setup while swinging an APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 7.5 prop. prior to it's maiden flight was 8.53 AMPs at Wide Open Throttle.

That Sunday morning she crashed nose first in hard parking lot surface and causing damage to the new brushless motor's output shaft, frontal Fuse of model. As soon as I arrived at the crash site, I attempted to move the servos and nothing appeared to happen. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and I was able to regain servo movement but, the ESC started to catch on fire!:mad:

I was instructed by "JOE" at Castle Creations to return this PHX-25 with copy of receipt and description of problem. I am just going to copy this posting .... it's in the mail today, July 21st, 2005. I understand that a replacement will be shipped with the modified and robust BEC.
Thank you for your time and attention.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More on PHX-25 overheating....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4015428&postcount=466
for the entire thread go to:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354845
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos:)

guapoman2000
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Anthony,

The more I look at it the more I say to myself "But, it's a clean break and a little bit more of epoxy can repair and she will take to the skys again?":D

Well this isn't my plane, but a friend who was flying with me yesterday. We both had our formosa's out, and during a low altitude knife edge, he banked left instead of right and put it into the dirt. Both wings cracked and the fuse broke too. It was due though, as this plane was more epoxy then foam anyways.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/flying2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/flying11.jpg

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Wow Carlos - you didn't tell me the CC ESC caught on fire! Wow!

Haw - I knew you were going to try to repair that formosa - you almost have to, due to it's rich heritage.

Duster52
07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Gonna need an on board fire extinguisher!:D

gboulton
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Gonna need an on board fire extinguisher!:D

No way, too much weight. I thinking a tiny halon system ;)

Duster52
07-29-2005, 11:09 PM
That's it! The size of a small co/2 cartridge!:D

pitviper51
08-15-2005, 03:23 AM
how do i post pics, it never works
mike

Duster52
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
ptviper, use the POST REPLY not QUICK REPLY and scroll down where you will find an input bar for MANAGE ATTACHMENTS.

Press it and you can see what to do.

good luck

rcers
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
That is just a flesh wound.....fix that in no time...

Glass that little dude next time!

Mike

wased0
03-15-2006, 04:46 AM
I called Castle Creations technical Department and talked to a person named "Joe" at extension 119. He confirmed that the PHX-25 have been modified to operate with a more robust BEC setups and that the old ones have a tendancy to overheat.
The Following is a letter to Castle Creations and hope to receive a newer PHX-25 with the modified electronics that would avoid another crash occurance.
Here's my setup:
Hobby Lobby mini-Telemaster 48 inch wing span (16 3/4 oz. Fully Flight Ready)
Castle Creations PHX-25
E-Flite Park 370 Outrunner (1080 Rpm/ Volt)
APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 7.5 Prop.
Thunder Power 1320mAH, 3S1P, Li-POLY
(3) GWS Naro STD servos for Aileron, Rudder and Elevator
Max AMP draw @ Wide Open Throttle 8.53 AMPs
Issue and Crash description:
My Hobby Lobby mini-Telemaster that weighs 16 3/4 oz. and powered with the E-Flite Park 370 outrunner (1080 RPM/VOLT) with 3 GWS Naro STD servos for Aileron, Rudder, and Elevator had been flying for 20 flights and last Sunday morning (July17th, 2005) it was flying level and prior to this I shut down the motor for a nice 2 minute glide to bring her back 25 feet and I throttle up gently (never go more than 1/2 throttle) and commanded her to perform a roll manuver and the motor just quit at the half roll and she started to nose in and I attempted to reset the ESC and bring her back to level flight and nothing....she was a complete "Dead" model.
Measured AMP draw on this direct drive setup while swinging an APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 7.5 prop. prior to it's maiden flight was 8.53 AMPs at Wide Open Throttle.

That Sunday morning she crashed nose first in hard parking lot surface and causing damage to the new brushless motor's output shaft, frontal Fuse of model. As soon as I arrived at the crash site, I attempted to move the servos and nothing appeared to happen. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and I was able to regain servo movement but, the ESC started to catch on fire!:mad:

I was instructed by "JOE" at Castle Creations to return this PHX-25 with copy of receipt and description of problem. I am just going to copy this posting .... it's in the mail today, July 21st, 2005. I understand that a replacement will be shipped with the modified and robust BEC.
Thank you for your time and attention.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More on PHX-25 overheating....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4015428&postcount=466
for the entire thread go to:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354845
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos:)

yeah mine did the ame thing but i wasn't even flying the plane i was doing the esc setup? and it burned out?

wased0

Loubud
03-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi All,
I'm a friend or Roger's and am sorry to inform you that he passed away this morning, the 16th of March. Roger posted in many areas of RC flying so letting people know is difficult. Here is the link that his son posted today on RCU.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4039063/anchors_4044207/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4044207
Our thoughts go out to his family.
Lou Marsalis

Glacier Girl
03-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Guys, some of you know me and I guess many do not.
I just wanted to let you know a little more about Duster, Or AgCat/ Sticks, as I knew him from RCU.
Roger's little by-line listed him as a retired fireman and pilot.
Which in a way he was. He was a disabled fireman, who had to fight city hall for his disability. His fight to win his disability just about broke his family. Rog attempted to fly and help out at the families crop dusting business, hence the AgCat monicer. He did this when he could barely get out of bed because of his back problems that the city fathers drug their feet to acknowlage. He had just recently won his disability, and like I said the fight cost him almost everything he had. When he died he left a wife, 2 children, and a grandchild. He also had no life insurance and no savings, due to the aforementioned fight to gain his disability.
We over on RCU have started what we call the "Sticks Fund", we are passing the hat so to speak to help out his family.
If you would like to help out I have a PayPal account set up to accept verified funds, sorry no credit cards. shelby1@winbeam.com
Or if PayPal doesn't work for you, PM me and I'll give you a mailing address.
Our hobby, and these forums, are all about helping others out.
And I can't think of a better thing to do to help someone out.

Brad

guapoman2000
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Anthony,

The more I look at it the more I say to myself "But, it's a clean break and a little bit more of epoxy can repair and she will take to the skys again?":D

Well, Anthony is no longer in Florida but, he is keeping in touch....

Just to let everyone know....I have finally retired my Snow Cone GWS Formosa and took the power system (RAZOR RZ-400) out that has served over 1 1/2 years with great service and wondering what I will put it in....

Fairwell my beloved Formosa.. (I have a slope version in the box):D

Hum...:D