PDA

View Full Version : Depron DR1...

VACaver
02-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Just finished building a Depron DR1 from plans by Steve Shumate.

Fairly easy build, but got confusing since it was my first actual build.

Plans are available here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425387 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425387)

Boomerang
02-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow, won my vote! Have you flown it yet? Hats off to people like Steve Shumate who let others share their talents, thanks Steve. - John.

VACaver
02-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Nope...haven't flown it yet. Waiting for nice weather.

watt_the?!
02-28-2006, 06:49 PM
that is fantastic!!! didnt know steve did a dr1....do you know if he's going to do other ww1 types?

VACaver
02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
that is fantastic!!! didnt know steve did a dr1....do you know if he's going to do other ww1 types?

No, I don't know. I'll direct him to this thread and maybe he can answer.

watt_the?!
02-28-2006, 09:49 PM
can you give some tips on the covering process?

ive never used covering for depron....how do you do it please?

Tim

VACaver
03-01-2006, 12:57 AM
can you give some tips on the covering process?

ive never used covering for depron....how do you do it please?

Tim

Tim,

It was my first time covering Depron (probably because it was the first time I had used Depron:rolleyes: ).

I used Monokote and found that there is a fine line between having the iron hot enough to adhere the monokote and not melt the Depron. You just have to experiment. I also tried a bare iron versus one with the cloth cover. Cloth cover worked WAY better. Oh, and be careful not to touch the bare Depron with the iron for more than a split second! It will get sticky. (This is critical when applying small pieces before covering large areas).

When covering both sides of a flat surface, you'll find that the Depron will bow from the shrinkage of the first side covered. Not a big problem. When you cover the other side, the shrinkage will balance things out. If you still have a slight bow, heating with the iron while pressing the item against a flat surface will take it out.

Finally, one quick point...covering the Depron brings out ALL imperfections. There's a couple of spots on my wings where you can see an indentation from me pressing with my thumb. So, treat the Depron very carefully prior to covering.

Pat

jetset44
03-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Howdy guys,
This is my first post on Wattflyer! I saw the "WW1 Planes" thread here a couple days ago and thought about posting the plans for my Fokker DR1, but hadn't got to it yet. I'm glad to see VACaver has shared it.

I'm having a real blast flying my DR1. It was drawn in CAD and is nearly true scale, with only the following major deviations:

* Enlarged the vertical tail 20% for better directional stability
* Lengthened the nose 1" to improve balance
* Flat foam wings for ease of construction and good aerobatics
* Full-span ailerons on all three wings
* Increased elevator size (just the elevator, not the horizontal tail).

What I like most about this model is that with the flaps drooped on all three wings and with low dual rates, it can be flown slowly and gently and very scale-like. Or you can raise the flaps, hit high dual rates, and fly very wild aerobatics. It's a lot of fun to be able to do both with one airplane! This model is also really quick and easy to build due to the all-sheet foam construction.

I've posted the plans below (in both tiled and non-tiled formats) if anyone is interested in building one of these. And here's a link to a flying video:

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=25843

I think the construction techniques used in this model would lend themselves readily to a wide variety of other WW1 models. But I don't have any plans to design any more WW1 models myself, I've just got too many other projects in the works... But if any of you want to give it a try I'd like to see it! I think an SE-5 would work particularly well... ;)

Steve

watt_the?!
03-02-2006, 06:40 AM
ive just got me 3dsmax and rhino3d to give this caper a go....i mean, how hard can it be, right? ...right?..lol..

you've inspired me Steve!

swass rc dawg
01-04-2009, 05:21 AM
the dr-1 is so cool I love ww1 planes if it flys slow and can do some 3d this has to happen keep it up good job show it off all the time :$
Home made:D