PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Lancair

Steve_O
02-28-2006, 10:55 AM
My GP Lancair arrived yesterday. First impressions are this is an excellant kit, every thing seems to be top notch quality. For the price it is hard to beat. Will follow up as I get further in to it.

rcers
02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Snap some pics for us - I want to see this one!

Mike

Steve_O
02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Will do later this evening. Darn day job.......

rcers
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
:DI get it!

RCTVEE
02-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Let me know how it goes. Thinking about it myself.

inconel710
02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I was looking at an ad for the full-size Lancair this weekend - what a sexy plane! Hope the kit captures that beauty.

mavdriver
02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
i just order mine last friday hopefully i will get mine soon

Newbrian
03-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Yes, I ordered mine about 2 months ago and just heard from tower that they shipped it a couple of days ago, so it should be here anytime...I am one that just loves that look of this style of plane to... I had the big one 90 four stoke, And I tell you what it is one heck of a nice plane. Unfortunatly I crash it after only 4 flights....It is a fast flying plane...It "wants" to be flown fast.
It is very resposive to the controls. that is how I crashed. The big one has the flaps and the Electric does not, other wise I think this little Lancair is going to be a real winner!!!
See all of you in the air
NewBrian

HACKER_RULES
03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Steve,
will have one of these in the air in about a fortnight if all goes well! Will be using AXI4130/16 outrunner
MGM8032 esc
2x37003s1p LiPo Flightpower batteries
15x12 APC pattern prop
Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers Brian

Steve_O
03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Brian, I am going to go with all the stock equipment, so it will be a good comparison to your upgrades.

Steve_O
03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Here are some pictures as it came out of the box.

RCTVEE
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Just received word that the P-6E I ordered from Tower has shipped. Take some time and $$$ to get her airbourne. Patients please.

Yes, I ordered mine about 2 months ago and just heard from tower that they shipped it a couple of days ago, so it should be here anytime...I am one that just loves that look of this style of plane to... I had the big one 90 four stoke, And I tell you what it is one heck of a nice plane. Unfortunatly I crash it after only 4 flights....It is a fast flying plane...It "wants" to be flown fast.
It is very resposive to the controls. that is how I crashed. The big one has the flaps and the Electric does not, other wise I think this little Lancair is going to be a real winner!!!
See all of you in the air
NewBrian

rcers
03-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Very nice....should be a great flyer...

No question the full scale is fast and responsive too!

Mike

guapoman2000
03-02-2006, 03:12 AM
What an awesome model!

I had a choice of this model and the Ripmax Spitfire......well, I got tired of waiting for the Lancair EP and ordered the Ripmax Spitfire....:D

Guess what??? I am still waiting for the Spit!:mad: :o

HACKER_RULES
03-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi Steve,
you may have thought that the engine setup on my Lancair is a bit over the top, but that is because it is being fitted to the 60 size oily version of this aircraft, not the speed 400 version that you have. I didn't even know a small one was available( we're the last to here of new things here in the land of OZ ).
Will still be interested to see how yours goes.

Cheers Brian

dbl8ts
03-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Here are some pictures as it came out of the box.

Wow! The finish and the pleasing lines of this plane makes me think about those 8 to 25K shotguns I see at certain dealerships.:) Makes you long to have one, kind of makes you not want to use em for fear of getting a scratch. Or, in our cases, bad landings!;) Guess I better start calling around and see who has one in stock so I don't have to wait too long. This, I hope, I can afford!:D

Can't wait to see yours completed and flying.

Newbrian
03-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Well Guys,
I got mine already to fly !!!!!! now just waiting for that No wind/rainy day...I did change to a Brushless motor and a 2100 MAh 3 cell LiPo. Its otherwise all stock. I will mention that you will have to make a mod to the steerable nose gear steering rod, They tell you to use the other piece thats left over from mounting the servos but it was to sloppy and weak ( the nose wheel wiggles). I used a linkage rod from one of my 20 sized nitro planes. That fixed all of the problems I found. Well I will let you know how it goes when the weather lets up.
Brian

RCTVEE
03-07-2006, 04:41 AM
What a beautiful bird. Starting to work on my P-6E this evening.

Newbrian
03-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Yes, This will also be my first time using the new 2.4 gig Spectrum radio..
I hope it all goes good...I have heard nothing but the best about this radio....
Brian

Steve_O
03-07-2006, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine visited this weekend and we went out to maiden his. One thing we found before going to the flying field that with the all stock set up and the battery/servo tray placed per the instructions it made the plane very nose heavy. He changed to a lipo and it balanced well. So beware, we figure that the servo tray needs to move rearward 1.5" to balance correctly with the stock battery. As far as the flight went, it was short due to the weather and time we had. It flew great. Very stable and plenty of power with the stock motor. It sure is pretty in the air!!!! Now I have to get mine done!

max-nix
03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi Steve O
A couple of quick questions,
What size Li-Po was used, & the number of cells?
What prop was used?
Was it ROG or hand launch?
Was there any tendency to tip stall?
Thanks
Bob F

inconel710
03-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Newbrian - It's good to see you're going with the Spektrum for this bird. I'd hate to see a wire flopping around behind such a beautiful plane. Great job.

Newbrian
03-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Newbrian - It's good to see you're going with the Spektrum for this bird. I'd hate to see a wire flopping around behind such a beautiful plane. Great job.

Thank you, I have been looking at this radio ever since my friend "Eut" showed me this his radio....After I got the Lancair I told myself, "I am going to do it, The Spectrum!!" will be going in to this fine plane.
Brian

Steve_O
03-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Steve O
A couple of quick questions,
What size Li-Po was used, & the number of cells?
What prop was used?
Was it ROG or hand launch?
Was there any tendency to tip stall?
Thanks
Bob F

Bob, I believe he used a 1400 mah pack it was 3 cell for sure.
Stock prop that came with the kit.
ROG off of pavement.
No tip stall tendency at all. Tery stalling at altitude and only gentle flat stalls. That surprised me too. Very stable plane.
Thanks.

David Pinegar
03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I used a 1250 ma lipo and the wt. was 25 oz. The test flight was short due to wifes in car! (Mine) Second flight went well. I am using flaperons. With full flaps they drop 3/16" and that's plenty to slow it down. I am working on a cockpit floor and pilot figures. This is a NICE Airplane and flies great!!!
Get er Done Steve!!!!

David Pinegar
03-09-2006, 01:02 AM
I had a chance to play with the WATT meter. Ran a 1250ma lipo for 7 mins. 1 min at full throttle 7.9A 71 watts 4 mins at 3/4.5A 2.5 mins at 1/2.3A plus 4 blips on the throttle. GREAT!!

rnkeng
03-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Received my Lancair from Tower last week after ordering last October. Haven't built it yet, and am debating about brushless conversion now, instead of later. Am certainly interested on flight results on stock and brushless versions. Will be waiting to hear.

mavdriver
03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I had a chance to play with the WATT meter. Ran a 1250ma lipo for 7 mins. 1 min at full throttle 7.9A 71 watts 4 mins at 3/4.5A 2.5 mins at 1/2.3A plus 4 blips on the throttle. GREAT!!

how many cells 2 or 3 ? mine almost finish hopefully today :D i`m also about ready to convert to brushless

Steve_O
03-12-2006, 03:26 PM
DAVE,
GOT ER DUN..... Are you up to some formation flying? Come on down let's go to the soccer field. :D

David Pinegar
03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I had a chance to get 3 flites in today with the Lancair in 11mph winds!! It handles it well using the flap fuction or flaperons helps unstick her from the pavement using the 1250 and 1500 3 cell lipo packs. Formation flying ok!! I'll follow the purple and white airplane!!!

mavdriver
03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
JUst finish the AXI convertion , it was allot easier than i thought :cool: just did a test with the watt meter 27 amps , 268 watts , 9x4.5 apc e prop this baby is going to scream :eek: will keep you guys posted :D :D :D

icejay55
03-13-2006, 06:47 AM
hi guys i am new at this site. i have been flying the f27 styrker and the 182 cessna 3ch i wanted something better i saw the lancair at my local hobby shop and i had to get it. my question can the stock esc handle a 3cell lipo 1350mah i see that the esc has a jumper with an n and L has anyone used a lipo with stock esc

lennyshotgun
03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Mavdriver
What size AXI did you use - got any pics of the mount?

alienx
03-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Is everyone using the recommended Futaba servos and receiver? I was wondering if the Hitec HS55 and Electron 6 combo would fit.

Steve_O
03-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I am using the HS55's throughout, they fit and work fine. I think your rx would be ok too. I have a JR R770S in mine.

alienx
03-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I am using the HS55's throughout, they fit and work fine. I think your rx would be ok too. I have a JR R770S in mine.

Thanks.

The Hitecs are a fraction of the cost of the Futabas. And if the Electron 6 doesn't fit, I guess I could go with a Micro 05S. Even in single conversion, it has to be a far better receiver than the little Futaba they recommend (as far as size and range go anyway),

mavdriver
03-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Mavdriver
What size AXI did you use - got any pics of the mount?

AXI 2808/20 , I`ve flown since , three 8 minute flights , shes got get up in go with out a doubt , she was off in aprox 25 to 30 feet , i want it to do a scale take off :) she could have leap off the payment if i let her , she handles beutifully in the air very smooth , almost like your flyng a pattern ship glider kind of a feel , i put her through the paces , did big giant loops , rolls are axial but not blistering fast very manageble , inverted flys just good as it does right side up very little down on elevator , did a few fast fly bys low to the ground she can sure handle it , also did a couple of touch and goes , and finally my 8 mins were up , i set her up for a landing aproach she comes in nicely with just a touch throttle here and there and nice kiss to the ground this lancair is a ***** cat to fly :D well there you have it , one final note i could have flown three 10 mins flights but i did not have a meter to test , the flown packs , until i got home so i can check them , i was just being safe , after all lipo packs are not cheap :) good luck with you set ups , there are some guys haveing great success whith there stock set ups . Ed

mavdriver
03-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks.

The Hitecs are a fraction of the cost of the Futabas. And if the Electron 6 doesn't fit, I guess I could go with a Micro 05S. Even in single conversion, it has to be a far better receiver than the little Futaba they recommend (as far as size and range go anyway),

alienx have you seen how big the fuselage is inside ? you can put any size receiver , electron 6 is perfect . Ed

alienx
03-19-2006, 05:07 PM
alienx have you seen how big the fuselage is inside ? you can put any size receiver , electron 6 is perfect . Ed

Cool! I have all mine on order. Have to wait for the plane to be available again. It's funny, When I started to look into flying for real, I started to fall in love with a few different planes. Now I'm able to buy and presumably fly all the ones I wanted but couldn't afford!!)! Very cool hobby.

max-nix
03-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi Mavdriver
Please give us more input. what is the RTF weight of your bird?

Is this your setup?
Axi 2808/20
3s 1p Li-Po
? mah ?
9x4.5 apc e prop
8 to 10 min flight time?
vertical performance?

Thanks
Smasher Bob
ex UPS driver

Steve_O
03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Mavdriver, sure would like to see a picture under the cowl to better understand your set up. I am new to electrics and still learning. Thanks.

mavdriver
03-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Mavdriver, sure would like to see a picture under the cowl to better understand your set up. I am new to electrics and still learning. Thanks.

Here are some pics on ezhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468746&page=36&pp=15one scroll down to # 538 and you will see my set up

mavdriver
03-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Mavdriver
Please give us more input. what is the RTF weight of your bird?

Is this your setup?
Axi 2808/20
3s 1p Li-Po
? mah ?
9x4.5 apc e prop
8 to 10 min flight time?
vertical performance?

Thanks
Smasher Bob
ex UPS driver

Yes i do have vertical performance the battery is Thunder Power 2100 3s prolites , and yes 10 mins this time around , i fllew it today again this lancair just gets better and better , i really like it , this time i had small gathering of pilots wanting to know what i had for power :D they were amazed as they saw how fast i had her flying :cool: . Ed

max-nix
03-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Sounds great, I am trying to decide how to set up mine.

What does your bird weigh ready to fly?

Thanks
Smasher

mavdriver
03-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Sounds great, I am trying to decide how to set up mine.

What does your bird weigh ready to fly?

Thanks
Smasher

1 lb 11.1 oz or 771 grams ready to fly with the battery installed :)

thunder 21
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Received my Lancair from Tower last week after ordering last October. Haven't built it yet, and am debating about brushless conversion now, instead of later. Am certainly interested on flight results on stock and brushless versions. Will be waiting to hear.
im new 2 watt flyer i converted my lancair i run eflight park 480 1028 kv tp 2100 3s @ 11/7electric prop cut 2 10 inches it draws 22 amps plane is fast with all the vert i can throw at it and thats at 4600 ft i used the back half of stock gearbox to make motor mount pressed out bearing drilled hole out 2 clear colar used motor mount plate 4 drill guide

FenceMagnet
04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
that's a great idea using the gearbox backplate as a mount !!! thanks!

:cool:

thunder 21
04-05-2006, 12:00 PM
you will have 2 drill the fire wall 2 clear the collar if you use the 480 motor and i used a dremel 2 clear the hole i did it with the plate on the plane the motor fits perfect .050clearance sides .o30 length

rnkeng
04-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Thunder, would like to see pics of your installation if possible. Thanks

thunder 21
04-07-2006, 03:39 AM
i will try 2 figure that out this weekend i have digital video of plane. my bro will help me on sunday if i cant figure it out. im new to this computer chat stuff VIDEO LINK ON POST 61

thunder 21
04-11-2006, 06:09 AM
flew all weekend didnt get time to figure out picts and video can you guys explane how to do this thanks for youre imfo thunder VIDEO IS NOW UP SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG 2MUCH GOOD WEATHER VIDEO LINK IS ON POST 61

lennyshotgun
04-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Here are some pics on ezhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468746&page=36&pp=15one scroll down to # 538 and you will see my set up

Hard to tell from the picture - were you able to get all 4 screws into the firewall?
How many amps did you draw with that setup - specs on the AXI site for the 2808 says for 200-500 grams, Lancair seems like it would be a little heavy, but hey - just goes to show, can't always figure it on paper. Sounds like you're having a ball.
Just recieved mine and have ordered the 2808 as well as the mounting kit for the 2212 - can't wait.
Lenny

mavdriver
04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Hard to tell from the picture - were you able to get all 4 screws into the firewall?
How many amps did you draw with that setup - specs on the AXI site for the 2808 says for 200-500 grams, Lancair seems like it would be a little heavy, but hey - just goes to show, can't always figure it on paper. Sounds like you're having a ball.
Just recieved mine and have ordered the 2808 as well as the mounting kit for the 2212 - can't wait.
Lenny

Originally it was held with only two screws , but i had some hard landdings and the original firewall was not holding up , so i re did the firewall since i posted last , i cut the fire wall back a little so i can add a piece plywood on the firewall , makes it allot beefier , and i now have more of an area to screw the mounting kit , now there`s no issues :) is been rainning allot lately , :mad: hopefully i will get to fly her again soon :D

lennyshotgun
04-15-2006, 05:22 PM
MAVDRIVER
Quoted fr other forum:
I installed AXI 2808/20 i just did a test on the wattmeter i got aprox 27 amps , 268 watts , apc 9x4.5 prop TP 2100 3s prolite , this bay is going to scream , http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif shes ready will keep you posted
MAVDRIVER
Let me say at this point that I am new to the hobby - don't know a lot - and that I'm just trying to understand - please - take no offense. :)

Specs say the AXI 2808 draws 8-12 amps - are we talking about the same motor? At 27 amps the motor won't last long.
Lenny

mavdriver
04-15-2006, 05:55 PM
MAVDRIVER
Quoted fr other forum:
I installed AXI 2808/20 i just did a test on the wattmeter i got aprox 27 amps , 268 watts , apc 9x4.5 prop TP 2100 3s prolite , this bay is going to scream , http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif shes ready will keep you posted
MAVDRIVER
Let me say at this point that I am new to the hobby - don't know a lot - and that I'm just trying to understand - please - take no offense. :)

Specs say the AXI 2808 draws 8-12 amps - are we talking about the same motor? At 27 amps the motor won't last long.
Lenny

Yeah she screams , but considered this you will mostly be flying 1/2 to 3/4 throttle most of the time , not to mention the motor unloads in the air therefore not drawing as much amps , that means that your amp draw is not as high , i have flown this motor full throttle and check the temperture after i landded the motor was slightly warm to the touch, it runs nice and cool when you are in the air , the test that you did is correct but that was also a static test , which will bring up the amps ,motor , battery ,speed controller gets warm or hot in some cases ,as versus when you are flying moving air through cowl pass the motor , not working as hard perse , believe me when i tell you , you won`t hurt this motor unless you fly it it into the ground :D i got aprox 10 flights on this motor , if it was going to burn up , it would have done it allready . ;)

lennyshotgun
04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I'll take your word for it - thanks for the help. :)
Lenny

alienx
04-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Started my build today finally. This is my 3rd build and I hope to be a little smarter (faster) at it. I was wondering if you guys are glueing your wing servo plates in or some other less permanent method. I'm afriad to seal them in and then find out one doesn't work.

Thanks. Andy

PS. Incidentally, the fit and finish of this model is far better than the Wattage C182 I built as my first ARF. You can hardly tell this is a ribbed wing, the cover is so smooth. What a monster deal for this plane!

mavdriver
04-15-2006, 10:38 PM
What i did i use the same servo covers and glued 2 small blocks standing on end so i can screw the servos on to the blocks ,then the covers where screwed to the wing , hope that helps

alienx
04-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks.

That actually sounds like the other option they gave in the book. I just thought the plane looked so sleek that I didn't want to use the screws. I guess once you epoxy the covers on, you can only get them out if you cut them out.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I have the horns glued, and I guess I could use a temporary fit to put the linkage in, then just finish them for real later when I decide how permanent I want to go.

PS. I guess the only thing that surprises me about what looks like a beautiful kit, is the use of black hardware. I figured they only used it in the manual to show better in the pictures. Seems like the model begs for white horns and aluminum screws. But still beautiful nonetheless.

lennyshotgun
04-15-2006, 11:29 PM
I've been using a hot glue gun to mount some of the servos on foamys instead of ca because if I crash I can kind of peel the glue off and reuse the servos.
Probobly a little weight but ...
Lenny

thunder 21
04-18-2006, 12:41 AM
video of a high-performance aircraft Great Plains Lancair EP and a scratch built pusher jet

eflight 480 1020 kv conversion thunder power 2100 3 s 40 amp controler

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23391914874082 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6778023391914874082)

lennyshotgun
04-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Has anyone tried mounting the AXI 2808 on the firewall without the bracket. Seems like I can put the screws that are meant to hold the firewall bracket to the motor (or maybe 1/4 inch longer ones if I can figure out what size they are) through the firewall from the inside of the Fuselage and screw them into the motor.
Sure would make for a clean mount.
Lenny

alienx
04-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Were you guys able to get the tail horns on without having to cut and bend the crap out of them? I used the addedum and the elevator is hardly able to move down without banging the rudder control horn, And the elevator control horn is hammering the rear-most part of the tail that get's glued in the fuselage.

I've trimmed the elevator horn right up to the hole with the pushrod, and that didn't free up any real clearance. Before I start to shave the tail where it sits in the back of the fuselage, I was wondering how you guys all dealt with this. There is no way the plane fits together as they describe in the manual. I figure to move the rudder horn out of the way of the elevator, I'm going to try to heat it and bend it down out of the way. I don't think there is room to cut it any (or much) lower in the rudder.

Any ideas?

thunder 21
04-18-2006, 02:32 AM
I posted video today under high preformance thread and on page 3 of this thread post 61

FenceMagnet
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Has anyone tried mounting the AXI 2808 on the firewall ... through the firewall from the inside of the Fuselage and screw them into the motor.
Sure would make for a clean mount.

I mounted my Park 480 that way.... used a countersink on the 4 holes from the back of the firewall and used the screws meant for the x-mount.... :D

thunder 21
04-26-2006, 11:21 AM
fence magnet.... in another post you mentioned a slimer conversion what do you mean by that... by the way i owne a machine shop and am now selling 480 conversion motor mounts out of billet 6061 aluminum.

FenceMagnet
04-26-2006, 12:36 PM
a "slimer" is a glow-powered plane.... when it lands, the fuselage and one wing are usually pretty slimy with oil :D

:cool:

lennyshotgun
04-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Working on mine - I was sucessfull in mounting the axi directly to the motor, leaving off the X mount completly - seems strong and looks very clean.
Also had some problems with the tail surfaces, had to trim the fuse where the elev control horn slides in and the vert stab where it goes into that area as well - seems like I'm getting enough movement in the elev now, but kind of a tight fit. Not real well designed.
But on the whole quite a nice arf, covering is tight and everything else seems to fit nicly.
Can't wait to fly it.

alienx
04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Working on mine - I was sucessfull in mounting the axi directly to the motor, leaving off the X mount completly - seems strong and looks very clean.
Also had some problems with the tail surfaces, had to trim the fuse where the elev control horn slides in and the vert stab where it goes into that area as well - seems like I'm getting enough movement in the elev now, but kind of a tight fit. Not real well designed.
But on the whole quite a nice arf, covering is tight and everything else seems to fit nicly.
Can't wait to fly it.

Have you had any luck with the rudder and horn? I had to cut my elevator to widen the area near the rudder. There was no way to get it to clear the rudder linkage. Plus all the things you mentioned. Also, I had to bend the rudder pushrod to get it to give me full travel to the left, so it was too short now to reach the servo. I had to make another piece of wire for it out of some scrap I had.

I like the plane so far, but that tail is BULLSH!T.

lennyshotgun
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Alien
Did you get the addendum to the instructions - it changes the control horn for the rudder fron the left side to the right.
Lenny

alienx
04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Alien
Did you get the addendum to the instructions - it changes the control horn for the rudder fron the left side to the right.
Lenny

Doesn't matter, but yes. The tail is symetrical.

I tried to move the rudder horn lower and further aft to get more clearance but the leverage on the horn was too wierd to move the rudder to the left. So I moved the horn back to the stock location I had already cut, and just trimmed the elevator.

One other thing I did was to add thin strips of balsa on the sides of the rear tip of the vert stabilizer. This made the groove in the tail a little wider so the elevator control linkage/horn didn't hang-up in the groove. It travels freely now so there will be less stress on the servo.

lennyshotgun
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
The wheelpants are also not easy - with the wheel retainers on the wheel and 2 retainers won't fit inside the pant - I've ground the retainer down and made them fit but the nosegear still won't fit - I guess I'll re-engineer some more :)
Lenny

alienx
04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Now that is one thing I didn't have a problem with. But the spacers were just small plastic pieces, so I guess they could have different versions. It's a good looking plane now that the gear and wings are on. I still have to do the tips and canopy. Then I'm done.

thunder 21
04-28-2006, 12:07 PM
a "slimer" is a glow-powered plane.... when it lands, the fuselage and one wing are usually pretty slimy with oil :D

:cool:its a little loud in first video clip prop wasent balanced if you listen to the last clip you will notice it gets alot more silent i bought a prop balancer it also got faster:)

Steve_O
04-30-2006, 01:40 PM
With the help of a friend we simply changed the pack from the stock battery pack to a Lipo 3 cell 1550. It made all the difference in the world. The plane went from a marginal to fly subject to a plane that is now very enjoyable to fly. It still has the stock motor and ESC, there is no real need to spend the extra cash to change those. Make sure the balance is right on the mark. It also saves about 5 ounces of overall weight. Just my two cents worth.

mavdriver
04-30-2006, 04:02 PM
With the help of a friend we simply changed the pack from the stock battery pack to a Lipo 3 cell 1550. It made all the difference in the world. The plane went from a marginal to fly subject to a plane that is now very enjoyable to fly. It still has the stock motor and ESC, there is no real need to spend the extra cash to change those. Make sure the balance is right on the mark. It also saves about 5 ounces of overall weight. Just my two cents worth.

You say that now and of course is your own opinion , but once you have BL your`ll never go back ;) :D

Steve_O
04-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I have BL in other planes. They are great! My only point is that the Lancair comes with a motor and ESC that is satisfactory, just the battery pack needs to upgraded to turn it to an enjoyable plane and keep the overall cost down. I have no issue with those upgrading to BL if the cost is no issue for them. Those that have followed this may know that with the entire stock package it is less than adequate. My initial flight was with the NiMH pack, I was relieved to get the plane around one time and get it back on the ground, it was so marginal that I would not fly it again until the battery pack was changed to LiPo. I was surprised by the major difference that the battery pack alone made.

Bill Simpson
05-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi all,
Another new member here. I have read and learned much here over the past few months. Thanks to all.
I have just finished the assembly of my Lancair and am going to fly her stock, at least for a while. My question is to any one who has done the same. Does it fly as well as the Great Planes prmo video shows. Landings as smooth as silk? Any bad habits to watch for? My trainer for the past year has been the Hobby Zone ABX. A pretty slow craft for the most part and hard to make stick to the run way in any kind of headwind. Any pointers or advice would be welcome.

Steve_O
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Bill, if you are still in the "training" stage of learning to fly, I would suggest that you get an experienced flyer to help you with the initial flight. While the Lancair is a great flying plane it certainly does not fly any thing like a trainer. With the entire stock set up you will most likely find it under powered. I have changed the battery pack to a 3S Lipo and it made a very big improvement in the performance.

Bill Simpson
05-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Steve, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much on my own learning to fly this plane as I was with my ABX and I'm pretty confident with rolling take offs and level flight with the Lancair but the faster landings are going to be a new ball game. What I did not do (now that I have read many posts) is get a receiver that will allow me to set up flaperons to slow things down a bit. My radio has dual rates and exponential settings which I learned to use after gutting the stock electronics from the ABX and installing my own. I will use those features to slow ME down a bit.

thunder 21
05-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Steve, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much on my own learning to fly this plane as I was with my ABX and I'm pretty confident with rolling take offs and level flight with the Lancair but the faster landings are going to be a new ball game. What I did not do (now that I have read many posts) is get a receiver that will allow me to set up flaperons to slow things down a bit. My radio has dual rates and exponential settings which I learned to use after gutting the stock electronics from the ABX and installing my own. I will use those features to slow ME down a bit.if u switch 2lipo you dont need flaperons i have them on my plane and dont use them. u just need 200ft 2 land keep youre speed up or u will stall ...also check wing washout before u fly i had 2 straighten my wing,,,good luck

Bill Simpson
05-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Thanks, for the tips, the weather has been great and it's getting harder to keep this plane grounded. I have access to a quarter mile of straight paved roadway 18 or 20 feet wide and open all around. I shouldn't run out of runway. It's a bit of a drive but be well worth it I'm sure. Did you fly your stock battery at all, and if so how much flight time did you get.

Steve_O
05-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Bill, I flew one short flight with the stock battery. The plane was so marginal on power that I was very glad to get it back around one lap and get it back on the ground. It was basically flying just above a stall the entire time. I decided at that point that it was not going back up until something changed. A friend of mine with more electric experience advised that I try a Lipo pack and that made a very big difference in the performance.

Bill Simpson
05-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Steve, I read earlier you are using a 3 cell 1550 Lipo. How much flight time are you getting out of that. I do have a charger that will charge Lipo as well my NiMH thinking at some point I would start using the Lipos. Sooner than later I think. Thanks.

Steve_O
05-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Bill, I haven't really put a clock on it. I usually fly in the 7-8 minute range and am ready to land with battery left. I will check it out more closely if it ever stops raining.

David Pinegar
05-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Just changing to a 3cell lipo made a big differance in Steve O's Lancair.. For a $100 you can't beat it!I use flaperons They drop down only 3/16 and that's all you need. Balance is the important factor in this airplane!!
Sreve O and I plan on flying formation at the Mint Julip in KY. next weekend if the weather ever gets better..

Bill Simpson
05-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Has any one come up with a better way to attach the canopy to the fuse than the recommended piece of tape at the front? Seems to be kind of a tacky way (pun intended) to finish a model that every thing else looks so good on.

Steve_O
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Dave relies on the magnets alone. I have put a small piece of scotch tape but on the last flight I had just the magnets holding on too with no problems.
Really looking forward to the formation flying. Maybe we can talk someone in to taking some pictures we can post on here after the contest.

Bill Simpson
05-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Some pictures would be great, a video even better. Good luck on your flight guys.

thunder 21
05-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Has any one come up with a better way to attach the canopy to the fuse than the recommended piece of tape at the front? Seems to be kind of a tacky way (pun intended) to finish a model that every thing else looks so good on.tape it good i blew my canopy off with tape on it....

Bill Simpson
06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I finally got this plane in the air this morning after over a month of having it ready. After reading many great posts I opted for the Lipos and made a small mod to the canopy by adding a 5th magnet at the front. It worked great today, at least it didn't blow off. The next flights will be more fun with the dreaded first flight out of the way. Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Solid Hit
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Is everyone still enjoying your Lancairs? I've been looking at them for a while now and I'm ready to buy one. Most fliers love their planes for the first few flights then some bugs start to show up.

Well, how about it? Does the fiberglass hold up after repeated landings? has anyone used an outrunner with a radial mount? I have an AXI 2808/24 planned for it but not sure how to mount it with it's current "X" mount.

Any and all info is appreciated. Flying characteristics, aerobatics, etc.

David Pinegar
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
likes the pavement. i fly mine on the taxiway at my airport. had the nosegear wheel pant come loose once. using flaperons. still liken it!!!

Solid Hit
08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
David, what power set up are you using? Any mild aerobatics?

David Pinegar
08-14-2006, 03:12 PM
I am using the stock setup with a 2100ma 3 cell lipo
I looped and rolled it. but I do plenty of takeoffs and landings. that is more fun trying to hit (land) on the taxiway centerline!!!

Steve_O
08-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Still enjoying mine too. Flew it just yesterday morning. I agree, it does like pavement. It is holding up fine, no bugs! Stock equipment except for a 1550 lipo.

lennyshotgun
08-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I just attached the 2808 w/o the x mount directly to the firewall
Lenny

Steve_O
08-14-2006, 07:35 PM
How does that work out with the cowling on?

Solid Hit
08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
What prop are you using with the AXI? How is performance?

BTW I just broke down and ordered mine from my lhs. It'll be in on Thursday afternoon.

lennyshotgun
08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Works fine - to tell the truth I built it months Ago (loved the look) - but have not felt comfortable yet to fly it - I've only been in the hobby for 6 months or so - getting there - I guess I'll try it soon (on a calm day)
Flying it on the G3 sim it seems to come in pretty fast without much float :)
Lenny

Bill Simpson
08-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Is everyone still enjoying your Lancairs? I've been looking at them for a while now and I'm ready to buy one. Most fliers love their planes for the first few flights then some bugs start to show up.

Well, how about it? Does the fiberglass hold up after repeated landings? has anyone used an outrunner with a radial mount? I have an AXI 2808/24 planned for it but not sure how to mount it with it's current "X" mount.

Any and all info is appreciated. Flying characteristics, aerobatics, etc.

Bill, this is a really nice craft. It flies as nice as the promo video shows. My biggest fear as novice pilot was the landings but that turned out to be a piece of cake. Very easy to dead stick in or come in at very low throttle. I did however run off the pavement on landing once and in to the grass and flipped the plane. The wire nose gear didn't bend but the fiberglass where it is mounted did crack. I made repairs with epoxy and a little fiberglass netting. Its better than new now.
My plane is stock but I do use Lipos.
I'm not much in to aerobatics yet but I don't think you could do much more than loops and rolls with out some pretty major modifications.
Hope this is of some help.
Bill S

Solid Hit
08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
That's a great help Bill, thank you. I've watched this plane for a while and think it is one of the best looking ARF out there. The package seems to be pretty complete and although I have the AXI ready for it, I may stay stock for a little bit first - lipo being the only change.

Did you have any trouble with the control horns interfering with the throws on the tail feathers?

On rereading your reply, I may just beef up the front landing gear from the inside before rather then after a bad landing.

The plane is not really made for hard aerobatics but some simple slow rolls, inverted flight, loops, and combinations of those are all I really want. I have other planes for crazier stuff.

mavdriver
08-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Hey solid don`t fly with stock set up you will be dissapointed install the axi you wiil be allot happier , remenber pwer is your friend .

Bill Simpson
08-16-2006, 05:33 AM
I did not have problems with the control horns, though I have read that some folks have. I think my biggest assembly problem was with the gearbox. It has a very small set screw (in the pinion) with very few threads on it. I ended up filing a flat spot on the motor shaft and then used Loctite on the shaft, gear and screw. I'll probably never get the thing off now. The plane came with the first one stripped and Tower Hobby's sent a replacement and it felt like it was starting to pull threats as I tightened it thus the Loctite on all mating parts. No problems since. The motor and gear box come assembled on the plane so I didn't know there was as issue until I was doing a few test taxi's and heard a noise not much unlike stepping on a cats tail. The pinion had slid up the motor shaft nearly out of touch of the main gear. I guess the moral to this story is check other peoples work and use blue Loctite on everything that isn't supposed to move.

Solid Hit
08-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Well It's time. The Lancair got in at my lhs on Thursday afternoon and after about ~8 hours or so, she is all trimmed out statically.

I went with the AXI 2808/24, a 40 amp esc, 4 HS55 servos, and a 3s2200 lipo.

It's a beautiful day but the weather is calling for thunder storms this afternoon. I usually meet up with a few other fliers on Sunday afternoons otherwise I fly from my place. This plane needs a real runway so flying from a stone driveway or less then putting green grass at my farm is out. If the weather holds, I'll head up to the school and give her a maiden flight. I'm usually not nervous about flying a new plane but this one has me that way - it's just too pretty. Anyway, mama didn't raise no hanger queens!

Steve_O
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
You will fine Bill. It flies as sweet as it looks. With the motor arrangement you have it should more than enough power. Please give us an update after the maiden.

Solid Hit
08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I finally got to maiden it this afternoon. That AXI 2808 is WAY too much motor. I was flying it on aboout 1/3 throttle and still able to do some decent loops and rolls. Adding power and she just just wanted to go verticle.

I lost orientation at one point but got lucky. Aside from that, she is a very smooth and predicable plane. Landing was nice and easy but I didn't have enough flair in that last 2" and the nose gear collapsed.

Tonight, if I get a chance, I'll swap out the motor for an Ultrafly A/24 geared that I have on another plane. If I can get that done tonight I'll fly her again tomorrow. The repair on the nose gear is an easy one.

Solid Hit
08-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I ended up swapping out the motor for an Ultrafly B/06. A lot of modification and she was ready again.

Took it out to the runway and off it went. Much better! She still needed right trim but other then that she flew beautifully. Rolls were slow and level. Landing her was uneventful. Great plane and I think one of the my fellow fliers is ordering one tomorrow.

Steve_O
08-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy.

Solid Hit
09-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Just an update.

3 weeks ago I took her up with a 2s lipo. She was underpowered so I was bringing her down and turning on final, she stalled about 5' off the runway. A whole lot of damage to the fuselage.

I now have the damage under control. I still need a cowl and a new paint job but she is flyable. I did make one very drastic modification. I turned her into a tail dragger. I put on a wide stance aluminum gear that I lightened up by drilling holes in it. I went to fly it this past Sunday but when the motor would not turn I checked it over and found a wire to one of the connectors was broken so she'll have to wait 'till Thursday or Sunday to try again.

I'll be maidening my E-Flight Mini Edge 540 also.

crazy4rc
09-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey Solid

How did the tail dragger mod work for you? Have you got any pictures you could post? I've been thinking about changing my lancair to a tail dragger also.

iFLYrc_Vic
03-08-2008, 02:01 AM
I just attached the 2808 w/o the x mount directly to the firewall
Lenny

The gear drive results in the stock motor thrust line about 5/8 inches above the center hole in the original firewall. Mounting the motor directly to the firewall results in a low thrust line for the outrunner. You will fine that other folks using an outrunner use a firewall extention to move the outrunner thrust line UP to the orginal thrust line. I hope your direct mount flies ok with the very low thrust you have.

Please post a message on your flight results.

gene465
07-22-2008, 05:15 AM
Anyone else still flying the Lancair, Putting mine together as I type here and plan on flying it stock with the exception of the 3S 2100 LIPO. I am having problems with the Elevator control horn but I will see once the servos are in. Impressed with the quality of it though I don't care much for the servo wires, should have used adjustable clevis but oh well we shall see.

RCTVEE
07-22-2008, 05:56 PM
What brand and do you have pics?http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

gene465
07-23-2008, 12:57 AM
I have the electrifly Lancair EP and once I have it finished I will post a few pics!

RCTVEE
07-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Great, I look for it.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

iFLYrc_Vic
08-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Got about 20 flights on my Lancair EP and it is a great little plane. I made the following mods:

cut the firewall and installed a new one for the outrunner motor
installed bigger wheels for grass field take offs
tinted the canopy - gold
added a hinge and latch for the canopy

RCTVEE
08-01-2008, 02:05 AM
What a great looking ride. KUDOS http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

High_Flyer_360
09-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Hay guys I have the Lancair... and agree that the 400 speed engine isn't good enough. Who uses a brushless? what brand, size? how about your ESC? I would like to use a 3 cell li-po on mine.

iFLYrc_Vic
09-25-2008, 02:50 AM
Hay guys I have the Lancair... and agree that the 400 speed engine isn't good enough. Who uses a brushless? what brand, size? how about your ESC? I would like to use a 3 cell li-po on mine.
Check out the info on my web site forum.

CHEECH
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
For under 100 Bucks this kit comes with a lot of stuff. Putting my order in soon.

Wish it came in another paint scheme. Looks like Huskie Colors. Im a Coug Fan. Im sure that can be fixed.:tc:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:k0RJz7JazqandM:http://www2.gpmd.com/imagel/g/lgpma1165.jpg

Cheech

DavidH
11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
I just picked one of these up, nice plane. I see several guys installing outrunners.

Is there anything wrong with a brushless inrunner motor on the stock 3:1 gear box? I have a HiMax 2815 3000 KV inrunner rated at 275 max watts with a 6x4 prop at 30 amps. On 2S it would be less but on 3S no problem with good cooling on a 45 amp esc.

David

iFLYrc_Vic
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I just picked one of these up, nice plane. I see several guys installing outrunners.

Is there anything wrong with a brushless inrunner motor on the stock 3:1 gear box? I have a HiMax 2815 3000 KV inrunner rated at 275 max watts with a 6x4 prop at 30 amps. On 2S it would be less but on 3S no problem with good cooling on a 45 amp esc.

David

A couple of guys posted info somewhere about using an inrunner. Don't even try the stock setup - not enough power.

mavdriver
11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I fly mine with an outrunner the only way to go , also for those that are interested i`m selling mine . pm for info , and pics thanks . Ed