PDA

View Full Version : Spring-air/VQ retracts and oleos.

stanger89
08-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Hm, Scale or Warbird forum, seems like there's more bomber talk here so... :)

I'm building a Wing MFG A-26 (for electric power obviously :D), I just got my Spring Air 102 HD retracts (the 100degree nose version), I also got a set of oleos for it. Got the whole set from VQ models (It's actually the P-38 retract kit).

Anyway, a couple of questions for those of you who have tackled this already.

How did the oleos fit in the into the retracts? Admitedly I haven't tried hard yet, but for the mains, the oleos seem just a smidge too big to fit into the retract blocks. Are they normally really tight?

For the nose, I know I need to use the spacer and run a piece of wire through the retract block, then into the oleo. I assume I get the pleasure of drilling and tapping the oleos/spacers to mount to the wire :eek:

One last question, the mains are in the wing, and the nose in the fuse (duh:eek:). What have you done for running air to the wing? Is there some sort of quick disconnect available (like air tools have)?

-edit - here's the answer to the last one:
http://www.robart.com/air_systems/couplers.aspx

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Boomerang
08-15-2005, 07:26 AM
No one seems to have an answer for you. I have no knowledge of Spring Air retracts apart from knowing a buddy uses them on his smaller turbine models & they work great. His use wire legs. Perhaps try VQ or the manufacturer - John.

Boomerang
08-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Had a look at my buddy's retracts today. They look like they are designed for oleos but use an adaptor to take the wire legs. I would loosen off the clamp bolt, put a screwdriver in the slot & twist it to try to open them up but NOT TOO FAR. If it's more than a little too tight the oleos may be faulty. - John

stanger89
08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the comments. I haven't really looked into it that much. I tried loosening the bolt but I'll have to try harder if I want to open it since it's pretty think mounts. I'm reluctant to try too hard since I figure I may not be able to get them out, so I better cut the oleo's to the right lenght first.

stanger89
08-17-2005, 01:58 AM
I would say RTFM, but there was none :p. But I did figure how how to mount them. I was looking at the stuff I got and noticed two brass pieces I hadn't before, and guess what, they fit perfectly in the retracts. So what you do, is put the brass spacers in the retracs, then the wire through them, and attach the oleos to the wire.

easytiger
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
The springairs come with variously sized holes, depending on what you ordered. You can always go up a size using a drill press, as long as you have the meat to work with.

drksyd
06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
What did you end up using for your air lines? Spring Air does have quick disconnects, part #122. I'm working on my A-26 now, just need the quick disconnect and air pump.

Oldpilot
04-15-2007, 05:55 AM
I am in the market for a set of Spring Air retracts # 702 or 705 for my VMAR Mig 21.

Where can you buy them in Aus.? I live in Sydney.

Boomerang
04-15-2007, 07:58 AM
My buddy bought a couple of sets through Tates Performance Hobbies in Oz (the distributor) but his last 3 sets he purchased straight from Spring Air in the US.

Not sure of the exact reason he went direct but I think he said Tates could not supply what he wanted in a reasonable time.

Give 'em a ring. - John.

Oldpilot
04-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks John. I'll give 'em a ring tomorrow.