PDA

View Full Version : SIG Bristol Scout

dbcisco
08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
This went together pretty nice. Other than glue drying time, it was only a couple hours. Straight forward directions no mods. Old kit so the decals cracked pretty easily. It didn't suggest rigging or dihedral but...we'll see. Just have to add the electronics (about an hour). Used floppy disk hinges. This looks like the ailerons could be easily added, like the Eflite Jenny.Got this ARF for under $40 a few weeks ago. Nice addition was the motor (brushed 180) and gearbox are included. When it wears out, then brushless.

TM4197
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
DB

Where did you buy the scout? Did you come up with any mods that you thought might help? or did she fly great right out of the box.. I have heard the particlar 180 motor wears out fast. Looks like you did a nice build! I am looking for one, but thinking I might drop in a GWS 350c..any thoughts?

dbcisco
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I haven't flown her yet, but she is almost identical to the Sig fokker D.VII which flies good. I think I might add more dihedral when I do the rigging on the Scout. As for brushed motors, they wear out. But it came with the kit (I got this one NIB on Ebay) so I used it. The main reason brushed motors wear out fast is too much heat softening the brushes causing them to wear out very fast. In a light plane like this with the easy flying I do (heaviest amps at takeoff) they should last a while.

wattman
08-27-2009, 10:10 PM
$40 dollar WW1 biplanes are hard to come by , hope it flys well , your collection grows again , which is always a joy .

dbcisco
08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Even if they don't fly, they look nice on the wall.:Q Well worth $40! Can't even get a big plastic model for that price.

TM4197
08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I fly a TM (and a whole lot!) have not worn that motor out yet, but I do slap a GWS 350c on her, and she flies much better. I put slots in the cowling on both sides, so I think thats why she runs cooler. I will say...like you...I like rolling take offs and they work hard to get up and going, but once up, I run her 3/4 throttle on the IPS and 1/2 on the EPS.
I hope I can find a Scout, she looks great! :ws:

dbcisco
08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
You can get the Sig D.VII direct from Sig for $50. If you call them they might have Bristol Scouts available but not listed on their site as they are discontinued.

TM4197
08-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Great..I'll try that...so you like the D VII ? Some say it handles like the TM.

dbcisco
08-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Nice and slow. Looks good so far, I don't do any loops or rolls yet.