PDA

View Full Version : The Great Magister

G_Countryman
03-01-2006, 04:57 AM
I purchased a magister, thinking I would be having the time of my life flying it around. I even considered using it as a platform for my camera for aerial pix. Well that is all out the window. I have been flying airplanes, both electric and nitro, but the Magister is without a doubt the most miserable thing I have ever owned. I have yet to complete a flight with it. Reason being.....I have stripped clean three spur gears, and even put a different gear unit in it, and stripped that one before the plane got airbourne. I have straight and true take off runs with no ground hits with the prop, but before the thing gets airbourne, it starts to slow down, and the motor is turning, but the prop isn't. I see that someone came out with an "upgrade" with an axi motor and esc, and they love it, my question is :::why should I have to shell out three hundred smackeroos to upgrade an airplane that should perform with the drive that was designed for it?
Please forgive me my ire, but had I known... I would have gotten the twinstar instead at nearly half the price, and twice the fun.
Gary:mad:

DannyR
03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I haven't had that problem with mine. Have you spoken with the Multiplex folks? They usually have very good customer service. I did see a posting several months ago on another web site with similar issues, but for the most part I believe folks have found the stock motor and gearbox to work ok.

The Maggie is a fun plane and does fly very well with the stock power system, even better with brushless.

Danny

I purchased a magister, thinking I would be having the time of my life flying it around. I even considered using it as a platform for my camera for aerial pix. Well that is all out the window. I have been flying airplanes, both electric and nitro, but the Magister is without a doubt the most miserable thing I have ever owned. I have yet to complete a flight with it. Reason being.....I have stripped clean three spur gears, and even put a different gear unit in it, and stripped that one before the plane got airbourne. I have straight and true take off runs with no ground hits with the prop, but before the thing gets airbourne, it starts to slow down, and the motor is turning, but the prop isn't. I see that someone came out with an "upgrade" with an axi motor and esc, and they love it, my question is :::why should I have to shell out three hundred smackeroos to upgrade an airplane that should perform with the drive that was designed for it?
Please forgive me my ire, but had I known... I would have gotten the twinstar instead at nearly half the price, and twice the fun.

rnkeng
03-13-2006, 02:38 AM
I have been flying a Magister over a year now and never had that problem at all. I logged alot of hours with it until the 680 started getting a bit tired, and recently upgraded it with an AXI through Hobby Lobby. The upgrade made it a whole new aircraft. Using a TP3S2P and get over 15 minutes flight time with it using some throttle management. Anyway, back to your point, in the year I never had a gearbox problem at all. By all means contact support on it.

Nobert
03-13-2006, 02:54 AM
I have been flying a Magistar for 4 months now. Running a Hacker A30-12XL outrunner with a 12x8 prop and MaxAmp 3s1p 4000 ma pack. It's airborne at 1/2 throttle and flies for 20+ minutes. It's a great plane and I highly recommend it with a outrunner brushless setup.
Neal

bell430
03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Norbert,
I have just completed building the Magister, and I am also using the Hacker A30-12XL. I was a little concerned the 12XL as I originally ordered the 12L. Obviously, judging by your comments you have no problems with the 12XL running the 12x8 prop. Have you tried swinging a larger diameter prop, and if so, do you have any problems with ground clearance?
I will be using a 3S2P 3000 mAh pack, which I had sitting around, with the 40A Hacker speed controller. Looking at a few charts the 12XL would really perform using a 4S pack, with a larger dia. prop.

Regards.......Mike

AEAJR
06-10-2006, 03:31 PM

We have several Magisters at our field, some with the brushed 680 motor and some brushless. Have not heard of the problems you had. Sounds like you got a bad gearbox.

Was this an RTF package or did you buy the kit?

urs
06-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Strange several club members have the original set up and not a stripped gear in sight and yet you stripped 3 spurgears....I think you should refurbish your gear set up skills...cheak the gear mesh and go a little easier on the accelerater, treat um right and they will give lasting service.
urs bin there done that