PDA

View Full Version : gws corsair poss. weight issue

sigepkev
03-01-2006, 05:01 AM
I have a a gws corsair that I have had almost complete for almost 2 months. I hand painted the plane with the "cloud" style paint job with all decals hand painted on. Looks really good.

Here is my delema, all up flying weight is 18.6 oz. This is mainly due to the large battery I am using. It is an 8 cell2/3 nimh 110mah.-weights 6 oz.

The plane without the battery weighs 12.6 oz.

The company recomended weight range is 14.8-17.6 oz. so I am a full oz over. my power stats are as follows-stock power system->10x6 prop, 9.6v. "D" gearing or 3:0:1 i think. The company site says that this should provide around 14.29 oz of thrust.

Is this enough or do you think I should get lighter batteries. I do not want the plane to be crazy fast, just good. I was thinking of dropping a cell or two.

Here is the moto calculations stats from the company for my power system
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/powersystem/eps400c.htm

thanks for your advice/recomendations

Kevin

Sky Sharkster
03-02-2006, 01:53 AM
To Kevin, the issue with the Corsair weight is a tough one; If you were planning to go with a brushless motor I'd say it would fly OK, but not great. With the stock motor it may not fly well at all. The airframe weight is in the ballpark but most flyers are using (in addition to brushless motors) 3-4 oz lipos so the plane comes in (RTF) about 16 oz. They fly very well with a 1:1 power-to-weight ratio.
If you can afford it, go with Lipos. The 3 cell 1350's run about $ 50.00 (gulp!) but have LOTS of power. Now there's another problem; The 11+ volts are going to cook the stock motor faster than normal, and "normal" isn't very long to begin with! I usually don't believe in throwing money at a problem but in this case even the "econo" Chinese Outrunners like the $ 20.00 (on sale) "Eskay" from Hobby-Lobby.com would be way better than the stock motor and can handle 3 cell LiPos without breaking a sweat. There are also cheaper LiPos out there but I haven't tried them so won't recommend anything I haven't personally used or seen in use.
I think you'll get other opinions on this but in any case I'd hate to see you crash this model when it could have been avoided!
Good Luck
Ron

L0stS0ul
03-02-2006, 04:19 AM
I flew mine on the stock setup like you but I used the GWS 11.1v 1300mAh lipo instead of the nimh pack. Mine weighed about the same as yours, around 16 ounces RTF. Going to the lipo I had to drop down to the 9050 hd prop. Performance was ok but she flew heavy and you could definitally tell. I've now upgraded to a BP-21 motor with the CC ThunderBird 18 speed controller and my weight issues are a complete thing of the past. It's amazing what $50 will do for this plane and with repairs mine now comes in at almost 20 ounces.

I do know of a guy that used the Parkzone P-51 motor and gearbox on their corsair and they were extremely happy with the performance. Apparently it's just rediculous since that power system is designed for a 26 ounce plane.

TRASHBUG
03-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I am flying a GWS Corsair with the following setup. It weighs in about 16oz. It flys GREAT! Because of the weight reduction with this configuration you will need to move the battery as far forward as possible. You can always move it back a little if needed:)

Motor/esc. (http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=45)

Battery. (http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=8)

The prop is as APC 9/75sf.

Lol

L0stS0ul
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
For the same amount of money you could get a BP-12 from Balsa Products with a very nice Castle Creations speed cotnroller. They allow you to match the Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 speed controller which is vastly superior to that TP speed controller in the combo. Those little motors can't take more than 13 amps anyway so that speed controller is way overkill at 30 amps and I bet it is probably twice as heavy as the CC speed controller. Weight isn't that big of a deal on these planes though.

A BP-12 (not the BP-12Y) and the CC ThunderBird speed controller is $47.09 here:

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V672768

That pack you are using can't take more than 10 amps which is where a potential bottleneck will be in your setup. You're definitally not getting the best performance out of that motor and you might be pushing that pack a little hard. Have you checked the amp draw with a watt meter? Either way you can push these motors a little harder than you are and get a lot better performance. I like the ThunderPower packs that are good to 17 amps. Using that Electric Power pack is kinda like buying a turbo car and putting low grade gas in it. Performance just won't be as good. I don't like to buy cheap packs. I'll pay the extra $25 for better performance.

That company does have a better pack though that is a little more expensive but would have been a better choice here: http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=51

Please don't take it wrong. I'm not knocking your setup. Just offering a little info I've learned :)

If you are happy with it that's great :) It's all about having fun with these little things. These little motors are something else.

TRASHBUG
03-02-2006, 06:24 PM
For the same amount of money you could get a BP-12 from Balsa Products with a very nice Castle Creations speed cotnroller. They allow you to match the Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 speed controller which is vastly superior to that TP speed controller in the combo. Those little motors can't take more than 13 amps anyway so that speed controller is way overkill at 30 amps and I bet it is probably twice as heavy as the CC speed controller. Weight isn't that big of a deal on these planes though.

A BP-12 (not the BP-12Y) and the CC ThunderBird speed controller is $47.09 here:

http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V672768

That pack you are using can't take more than 10 amps which is where a potential bottleneck will be in your setup. You're definitally not getting the best performance out of that motor and you might be pushing that pack a little hard. Have you checked the amp draw with a watt meter? Either way you can push these motors a little harder than you are and get a lot better performance. I like the ThunderPower packs that are good to 17 amps. Using that Electric Power pack is kinda like buying a turbo car and putting low grade gas in it. Performance just won't be as good. I don't like to buy cheap packs. I'll pay the extra $25 for better performance.

That company does have a better pack though that is a little more expensive but would have been a better choice here: http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=51

Please don't take it wrong. I'm not knocking your setup. Just offering a little info I've learned :)

If you are happy with it that's great :) It's all about having fun with these little things. These little motors are something else.

I haven't tried the Thunderbird esc so I can't comment on what advantages it might have over the TP. From past experience with CC products their customer service is second to none! I can tell you that the TP esc has worked perfectly as far as I can tell. Since I have yet to have a failure with a TP esc I can't comment on customer service. I have a hunch it might be a little lacking. I can also say from personal experience that the battery I mentioned is the one I used all last summer. At landing the battery temp was just slightly above ambient so my reasoning is that it wasn't being particulary stressed. In fact IMHO I think the C rating on this series of batteries is very conservative. I tried the 21, 12 delta and 08 motors as well as the 09 I'm using now. I found this particualar prop, motor, battery combination to work the best in my GWS Corsair. I'm sure there are a lot of combinations that may work equally well, perhaps even better. Let your pocketbook and experience be your guide:)

Also from personal experience......the first thing you need to do with the TP motor is to take it apart and make sure there are no metal bits still hanging around from the mfg. process;)