PDA

View Full Version : Guillows Morse Scout Electric

dbcisco
08-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Got the fuselage framed out. Servos and brushless motor installed.

dbcisco
08-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Monocoted the fuselage and decided to go with foam tail feathers, the balsa ones were so weak they broke when shrinking the monocote.:( To make them strong enough for covering would be heavier than foam and this thing is tail heavy to begin with. Will attempt the balsa wings by making them in sections to add dihedral. I don't know why I get the kits, I end up bodging them together anyway.:D This will have all the electronics and servos in the nose. My luck it well end up too nose heavy.

dbcisco
09-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Foam tail feathers didn't work out right. Making stronger balsa ones.

Sky Sharkster
09-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello Dbcisco,
Nice work on the fuselage! But the problem isn't with the tail surfaces, it's with the covering.
Monokote is one of the heaviest and strongest coverings available and the shrink rate is the most powerful. It will warp and possibly crush a thin structure.
For small models and structure with thin wood, you will be better off using a "Micro" covering, they are made for this purpose.
Trade names are MicroLite, SoLite + Nelson LiteFilm. Thet use a lower temperature to seal and shrink and weigh 1/2 to 1/3 as much as MonoKote.
They don't come in as many colors, so you are somewhat limited in color schemes. But the application process is the same as other iron-ons.
Save the Monokote for larger, heavier models.
Here is a table of weights for coverings;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10443
Good Luck!
Ron

dbcisco
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks Sharkster. I also found that the opaque coverings are "crushiest" of all. Now I know some of the lighter covering brand names to look for in the "covering shelf" at the LHS.

wattman
09-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Would something this size work with the new really small receivers , like in the really really small parkzone planes now ?

servos
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAS2000

dbcisco
09-02-2009, 11:31 PM
If they use the same signal as a normal servo I could certainly use them in bunch of projects.

pvtzemerak
09-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Hey dbisco,
Ive been admiring your past E-conversions, Ill subscribe to this one too.
I really want to do a Guillows conversion, it would be something to do during the school year, and it would be nice and small so i could just take it down to the local park and zip it around.
Good luck man!
Subscribed!
--PvT

dbcisco
09-03-2009, 03:07 AM
I beefed up the tail feather with a single wide piece of balsa instead of thin stringers. Elevators connected by CF rod. Floppy disk hinges installed. These should withstand the monocote (opaque OD) and it wont need much shrinking.

dbcisco
09-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Sorry no pics lately. Switched to coverlite black baron film instead of monocote and it is much easier to work with. Added little balsa strips in the elevators and rudder to keep the film from sticking together. Finished wings in a couple evenings. Most of it painted now (drying as I write). I am going to make the wing and LG struts out of some heavier wood and will do rubber-band "bungie" treatment on the LG as well. Then it will just be fitting the battery for CG left.
I will get more pics up, I just got the camera back.

WWI Ace
09-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I use Microlite from Tower Hobbies on my small planes and it works great. No crushing. When it doesn't come in a color I need I Scotchbrite it and put a thin coat of spray paint on it. No problem. Steve

dbcisco
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
It's coming along nicely now. Coverlite worked better than Monocote, I got the wings built and covered (no foam on this one ;-) ). Here are pics of the tail feathers with floppy-disk hinges and one pic of the entire plane so far. Landing gear is next.

WWI Ace
09-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Very cool plane that you don't often see modelled. Steve

dumo01
09-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Very nice build. I will be very interested to see how it works out as I am looking around for a kit to do through the winter. What power system are you thinking of for this?

dbcisco
09-28-2009, 01:44 AM
I've got a GWS BL motor with a ZTW 12 amp ESC in it now with 5 gram servos (2) and a 4ch micro rx.

7car7
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Very cool build - not sure how I missed this one. I really like the Tommy.

dbcisco
10-04-2009, 04:21 AM
All done. 9 Oz. with battery!!! CG is at leading edge of bottom wing, a little nose heavy (for a change).

wattman
10-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Looks really nice , hope it flys as good as it looks .

WWI Ace
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Nice plane!!!! Steve

7car7
10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
That's very light! Excellent work. Nose heavy is great - you can add the tiniest amount to the rear to fix - lot's of leverage.

Bill G
10-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Hello Dbcisco,
Nice work on the fuselage! But the problem isn't with the tail surfaces, it's with the covering.
Monokote is one of the heaviest and strongest coverings available and the shrink rate is the most powerful. It will warp and possibly crush a thin structure.
For small models and structure with thin wood, you will be better off using a "Micro" covering, they are made for this purpose.
Trade names are MicroLite, SoLite + Nelson LiteFilm. Thet use a lower temperature to seal and shrink and weigh 1/2 to 1/3 as much as MonoKote.
They don't come in as many colors, so you are somewhat limited in color schemes. But the application process is the same as other iron-ons.
Save the Monokote for larger, heavier models.
Here is a table of weights for coverings;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10443
Good Luck!
RonYep, my small models started flying much better with fewer tons :Q of ballast, when I started covering all tail surfaces with Microlite. The weak framed tail surfaces are also considerably stronger once covered, even with the lightweight covering. I also use the GWS hinge material on these models now, as standard hinges add excess weight and are unnecessary. Less weakening to the framing also, as a knife slit is all that is needed to install them.