PDA

View Full Version : A-20 Havoc/Boston/P-70 Nightfighter

easytiger
03-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I started out with the Dare kit. Was not really happy with it, not a great kit. It's a rubber powered kit, don't let Dare tell you it's an RC kit. Very dissapointing contents for eighty bucks. No molded canopies, even. That's just unacceptable.
Anyway...I built her a couple of years ago and lost interest. Was originally going to be two PAW 03 diesels, then two AME 061s...the other day, I picked up a couple of BP18 motors at the WRAM show, a lot more practical! Found a pair of old Pony brand variable pitch props, they look about right.

Added the supercharger scoops and made up some canopies, got some momentum going...

easytiger
03-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Not sure if I want to do a P-70 nightfighter, or maybe camo the top, leave the bottom black, and do a british night intruder.

jungmann1
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Very cool! Curtis, is that still stick and tissue or did you sheet it? Also, you gotta tell us more about those props! Those are awesome! You going to be able to fly with them or are they just looking cool? John.

easytiger
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Fully sheeted. Tissue and dope on top.

The props are variable pitch gas props from the sixties, from japan. Came in three and four blade versions. I tried a pair of the four bladers on a saito 30 a few years back, they held up fine up to 12k without anybody losing an eye. I did not FLY them, I cannot say how efficient they will be, but they look so great, I will definitely fly them on this one.
Got some more work done yesterday, did the ventral gun package, finsished up the paint, added a double yagi antenna to the snout, generally got her looking good.
I sheeted her with 1/16, but next time, I will do the fuse with something thicker. I ended up with a real "starved horse" look on the top of the fuse after sanding and doping. I ended up covering it up with a piece of acetate, which went between the two canopies, it worked out okay. But 1/16 sheeting does not work that great.
Pics later...

easytiger
03-04-2006, 02:19 AM
pics

jungmann1
03-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Looking good, Curtis! Did you shoot these in your hanger at the airport? John.

easytiger
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Yup! It's been really COLD up there lately, though. Last time I went up there, over a foot of snow fell while I was working in the hangar. No plowing done, had to drive 75 miles home through a foot of snow, not such a big deal with full time 4wd, but man, I saw a lot of accidents...