PDA

View Full Version : 1/6 scale airco DH-2 scratchbuild

DCflyer
08-29-2009, 08:27 PM
hi,i'm building a DH-2 from scratch. i wont be useing any laser cutting just a table and scroll saw plus the usual hand tools. this plane will have a fully working cockpit and even the knome motor will spin with the electric motor. this will be a highly detailed museum quality build.i thought about useing fiberglas for the front of the fuse or even wood laminations over a skeliton frame. after alot of heming and hawing i decided to vacuform the piece. it's a very formidable piece to produce with all it's compound curves. i'm going to form it in 2 pieces as my vacu system is only 10"x10" and then glue together, fill and sand. i'll be useing very thick 0.60 black styrene. i made the plugs out of very hard balsa. i always put a car wax or silicone wax on the surface of the plugs and buff them out when they are complete. i use a little talcum powder on them just before i form the plastic over them. i used litho plate and small rivets for the banding. here are a few pics of the work so far.

dbcisco
08-29-2009, 11:32 PM
WoW!!!!

wattman
08-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Make that a double WOW , I'm used to seeing detail in the train models , but thats really nice for a RC plane that flys !

gramps2361
08-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Yup this is one i'll be folowing great detail hope ya keep posting as you go. Love to follow a good build.

PaperAirplane
08-30-2009, 03:14 AM
(\/)
(o.o)
(> )>' He patts you on the back

Nitro Blast
08-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Skills to be proud of for sure. Subscribed.

CHELLIE
08-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Awesome Build :$ Subscribed For sure

DCflyer
08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
i got some more of the fuse done and also framed up some of my tail feathers. i cut my struts from spruce and finished them so they will be ready when i get to that point. i also installed the rudder bar, i have a small etching tank and besides making brass or stainless parts from scratch i also design them on my computer and etch them which intails takeing the artwork to film on my printer and exposing the metal to U.V. light that has been coated with photo resist. i will be etching a lot of parts for this build. i'm working with p. neate plans. here are couple more pics of the build so far.

gramps2361
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Wow you are going all out with the detail. You are definitely on your way to museum quality build. Metal detail is great looking forward to more post's as this comes along.

pd1
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Very nice work.
Reminds me of a craftsman that is up in Maine.

Paul

CHELLIE
09-01-2009, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1XDAguncM&feature=related

DCflyer
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
thought i would post a couple more pis of the inner workings such as the rudder bar, servo deck and control stick. i could not find for the life of me any thing on the net as far as a close up of the control stick. i do know because of the placement of the horz. to the elevator horns and from what pics i do have that the stick has to pivoy left to right and a solid placement foward and reverse to control the elev.. so i got left to right covered for the alierons but how do i get elev. movment with out affecting the alieron shaft and keep it from going up and down. i'm not sure if this is the way they did it in 1916 but it works and works well and as i see it there arn't to many ways to do this plus at 1/6 scale you don't have alot of room for a cockpit that works so i built a minature universal so to speak. so i hand cut all the parts and silver soldered every thing together and it works just fine, you'll see when you look at the pics.

pd1
09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Beautiful interior work.

Paul

dbcisco
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
OMG! You must have the patience of a saint and the eye of an eagle.
I am going to put paper bags over all my planes now.:Q

gramps2361
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Ya that is great detail and metal work that you are doing. I have plane envy.

wattman
09-04-2009, 07:27 PM
WOW
WOW
WOW

Now after seeing your model photos ..............
Now the packing tape repairs on my planes "GLARE / standout " even more to me , than they did before ! :sad:

PaperAirplane
09-04-2009, 08:17 PM
jaw on floor.

Cdr. Instigator
09-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Dddaiumm........

This is going to be an amazing build..

Subscribed !!

CHELLIE
09-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Gorgeous I am Soooooooo Jealous :Q :D ;-) Keep up the Awesome work, Chellie

Voyager2lcats
09-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow. There is a guy who built a really nice blue foam DH-2 over on RC Groups (forgive me, for I have sinned;)), but your vacuum formed and balsa composite model is fan-freaking-tastic. Outstanding workmanship. I am running out of superlatives.:)

DCflyer
09-09-2009, 12:37 PM
first i'd like to thank everyone for there compliments and i have another batch of pics of the build progress.i started some of the grommet work on the sides. i did this by useing 1/64 ply as a stiffner and predrilled holes in the ply then i wrap and seal in solartex leaving a 1/4" tab. useing a soldering iron i then burn holes through the solartex where i predrilled and then set the brass eyelets in and then useing a tool i made i tap the reverse side and expand the eyelet to anchorit in place. i decided to keep everything in brass and not paint anything, it seems to be a nice change. i have about 75% of the cockpit detail done, a little more instrumentation and a few other things and will call it done. i also built a wicker seat it took about 12 hrs to design, cut and weave it. the seat cushion is in tan leather, all the leather work will match the seat. well that's all for now i'll keep you updated on the progress.

wattman
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
G-WHIZ what craftsmanship and modeling .

PaperAirplane
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Holy Cow!!!!!

gramps2361
09-10-2009, 12:46 AM
That is sweeeet you have the a lot of different skills going for you and the patience of a saint. You should submit this build to model aviation the detail is incredible.

dbcisco
09-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Just keep on dazzling me. I am now setting fire to my ugly planes. :$

CHELLIE
09-10-2009, 01:38 AM
That is sweeeet you have the a lot of different skills going for you and the patience of a saint. You should submit this build to model aviation the detail is incredible.

Yes, I agree with Gramps, this build would make for some Great Reading in Model Aviation Mag. Take care, Chellie

DCflyer
09-10-2009, 11:03 PM
thanks Chellie, i do think 99% of the folks on this forum no more than i ever will. ive only done 2 kit builds and this is my first scratch build,actually my second, my first was a 1/7 scale fokker dv11 and the plans were so bad i ended up smashing it to smitherenes. but ive come to learn that if the plans are not of a kit build you have to think outside the box and 20 steps ahead in otherwords if you cut a part from a plane and think it going to fit like a glove or at all for that matter your in for a rude awakening and this just shows how naive i am and how new i am at this hobby( less than 2 yrs) but i'm learning. as far as modeling i must be a natural. in my whole intire life i probably built 3 plastic kits and thats when i was ten and was a long, long time ago. i started this hobby and fell in love with it and seem to like the building more than flying. at a time when there is very little creative challenge at least for me it's been a life saver. anyway enough with the bio, some more pics of the progress. the cockpit is all finished and i also handstitched the combing on to match the seat cushion and i framed up the tail feathers. i built the LG out of brass tube with the apropriate size music wire running through them for strength. the same for the hardwood legs, i made them solid then i made a drill bit 7 inches long and put a hole all the way down through them so i could insert music wire and weld them to the mounting stud. i'm starting to scratch build a 7 cylinder gnome. the only thin i'll be useing that were made already are some cylinders from a 1/6 scale WB lerhone which i'll modify to represent a gnome cylinder.

CHELLIE
09-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Beautiful Work, I am loving this Build :$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

gramps2361
09-10-2009, 11:43 PM
to funny Chellie LOL.

gramps2361
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
If that is how long you have been building then I'm way behind the eight ball and you have a gift not a knack. Again great looking work DCflyer.

dbcisco
09-11-2009, 02:20 AM
That level of detail in such a short time is genius IMHO.

CHELLIE
09-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Hi DC flyer :ws: are you also SPIKKKKKKKK over at RCG, Some really nice builds there too, but they were never finished, like the DR1 and DV11 and the poor Proctor N-11 that a drunk flew and crashed it ;-) Oh well, thats RC, Take Care, Chellie

CHELLIE
09-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Looks like we had a Spikkkkkkkk here on Wattflyers too, and he did not finish a DR1 build ;-)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38081

DCflyer
09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
i'm not going to confirm or denie that's why there are a couple of sights i don't subscribe to anymore, to much bad blood. here are some pics of a 1/5 scale proctor N-11, it's all repaired now and a VK DR1 1/6 scale i did. as for the 1/8 scale dr1 there was a flood in my basement and the moister from it warped this plane beyond anykind of straigtning so i scratched that build and the 1/6 scale DV11 got so bad because of the plans it became a source of frustration not enjoyment so i smashed it to bits of course keeping any thing worth salvageing. that's it shellie, thats all ive built. by the way i was admireing some of your builds and such, and maybe different from what i do you are an incredibly resourceful and innovative women and would be proud to call you friend anyday.
Rob

gramps2361
09-12-2009, 04:18 PM
DC hope you continue post here on your builds looking forward to seeing more of your talent. Great pic's of your past builds.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109108&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1252767100 The pic on the instrument panel is a nice touch carrying a loved one to battle.

barmonkey
09-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Impressive! Can't wait to see more on this one...

Rob, if you could suggest what kind of tools to use to cut the small brass and other metal parts...It would be greatly appreciated. I have some electroplate and brass that need to be cut for a long stalled project.

Tim

CHELLIE
09-13-2009, 01:44 AM
i'm not going to confirm or denie that's why there are a couple of sights i don't subscribe to anymore, to much bad blood. here are some pics of a 1/5 scale proctor N-11, it's all repaired now and a VK DR1 1/6 scale i did. as for the 1/8 scale dr1 there was a flood in my basement and the moister from it warped this plane beyond anykind of straigtning so i scratched that build and the 1/6 scale DV11 got so bad because of the plans it became a source of frustration not enjoyment so i smashed it to bits of course keeping any thing worth salvageing. that's it shellie, thats all ive built. by the way i was admireing some of your builds and such, and maybe different from what i do you are an incredibly resourceful and innovative women and would be proud to call you friend anyday.
Rob

Ok Thats Understandable Rob :ws: And i would be proud to call you my friend Too Rob :ws: Take care, Chellie

DCflyer
09-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Impressive! Can't wait to see more on this one...

Rob, if you could suggest what kind of tools to use to cut the small brass and other metal parts...It would be greatly appreciated. I have some electroplate and brass that need to be cut for a long stalled project.

Tim hi tim, i use basic hobby tools, exacto knife, jewelers saw etc. for alum. i hand cut every thing with exacto and i use litho plate that's about 0.13 to 0.15 thick score and bend sand and smooth. to get shape i tack on a template on paper output from corel graphic program. i use corel for every thing, i find it easier than my cad programs and it does basically the same thing. now the big question " brass" and if you happen to catch on the first page that i etch all my brass parts. about 6 months ago i purchsed a small etching system from micro-mark, they have a incredible site for online hobbiest of all types. anyway when i found out how easy it was to do etching in your basement it blew me away. since then ive really mastered the process by getting a bigger tank and adding citric acid to my ferric chloride and little things like that to make it faster and also makes your etching solution last longer. i still purchase all my chemicals ferric clhoride, sodium hydroxide, photo resist which covers both sides of your metal plate ( stainless steel or brass) and inkjet film from micromark.com . here are a few pics of the process and you can also make 3 dementional parts or write by scoring or writing some verbage on one side of your film this way it only etches part way. i forgot to add that my stainless steel or brass ranges from 0.05 to 0.15 in thickness, the thicker it is the longer it takes to etch and i wouldn't put anyting thicker through my laminator.

dbcisco
09-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Looks like a fish tank and air stone.

TDisaster
09-13-2009, 08:52 PM
hi tim, i use basic hobby tools, exacto knife, jewelers saw etc. for alum. i hand cut every thing with exacto and i use litho plate that's about 0.13 to 0.15 thick score and bend sand and smooth. to get shape i tack on a template on paper output from corel graphic program. i use corel for every thing, i find it easier than my cad programs and it does basically the same thing. now the big question " brass" and if you happen to catch on the first page that i etch all my brass parts. about 6 months ago i purchsed a small etching system from micro-mark, they have a incredible site online for hobbiest of all types. anyway when i found out how easy it was to do etching in your basement it blew me away. since then ive really mastered the process by getting a bigger tank and adding citric acid to my ferric chloride and little things like that to make it faster and also makes your etching solution last longer. i still purchase all my chemicals ferric clhoride, sodium hydroxide, photo resist which covers both sides of your metal plate ( stainless steel or brass) and inkjet film from micromark.com . here are a few pics of the process and you can also make 3 dementional parts or write by scoring or writing some verbage on one side of your film this way it only etches part way.

Very nice work!

We use Corel in my manufacturing class at my school and it is much easier than using Auto Desk. Except we export it to the CNC rather than print out templates.

pd1
09-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you have a link for the site withe the etching materials.
And do they have instructions too?

Paul

DCflyer
09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Do you have a link for the site withe the etching materials.
And do they have instructions too?

Paul yes, it's micromark.com and yes they do have instructions

DCflyer
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Looks like a fish tank and air stone. yes it is a plastic fishtank and holds a 5" piece square of brass opposed to micromark's plastic tank and ive since moved on from air stone to a custom airiator that i use. the stone breaks down and desinagrates after 5 or 6 etchings and my new one has more thrust to make things faster. you definitely want to go with plastic or glass or plexi thats glued together, NO METAL like glass tank has holding the corners together plus anything that's glued together has to withstand the heat from your ferric chloride, you have to heat your chemical just below boiling it makes the etching faster and cleaner that's why i chose a molded tank to eliminate some of the variables some day when i have the money i will go with a lexan or plexi with the special glue and also a ceramic heating element so i would never have to take the ferric chloride out except when it gets bad,( to many etchings) and pour some fresh stuff in. micromark.com gives you a plastic tank that's 3 1/2" square by 10", it's tall like a quart of milk that's so you only have add 16 oz. of etchant to get the desired depth

dbcisco
09-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Reminds me off the photo etching of circuit boards I did years ago. Same principles?

DCflyer
09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
i finally finished my 7 cyl. gnome. i just about scratch built the whole thing. for one thing you cant find a gnome in 1/6 scale but do believe WB sells a 1/4 scale cylinder. so i scavenged the net for reference material, ( ther seems to be quite a few versions of this engine) and started building. the crankcase is made from 1/16 ply laminated with 0.10 stainless steel. i used some existing cyl. i had left over from my newport 11 build. i had to make a 1/5 scale( which they dont make) out of two 1/6 scale lerhone kits, that was a challenge i was newer at this than i am now. back to the knome i cut the head off the cyl and a little nip and tuck here and there.every else i etched in brass and stainless steel. the new heads are all soldered together and were made from 3 brass circles from small to large with 0.15 thickness all notched and stacked. all the 3-D were etched flat with a score line etched on one side for easy and clean bending into it's form. the crank cover etc. is stainless steel backed by 1/16 ply lamed together. the engine also spins at about 1/6 the overall rpm and seems to look relly good no wobble. i did this by fluting the inside of my mount and the engine crankcase so it basically pinwheels at about 1000 rpm and seems very balanced with my out runner a 35-48-850 rimfire with a 70 amp speed controller. i think if i hooked up the dummy motor with the outrunner the torque and kv combined would have been to much, gnome parts flying every where, duck. talk to you in a bit.

wattman
09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
OH MY , ::o this plane is really over the top , I cannot wait to see it complete and flying . :ws:

DO not tell us that the rocker arms are working as it rotates also :eek:

Cdr. Instigator
09-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Again, my jaw has dropped to the floor..
Just amazing !!

When I grow up, I want to be like DCflyer !! :D

Nitro Blast
09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh brother...

That photo of the spinning motor had me feeling like http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/image.php?u=27345&dateline=1233926579

And you dont work for the Smithsonian because????

JetPlaneFlyer
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Amazing craftsmanship! What weight are you targeting?..

Are you really going to fly it or will it be for static display?.. If it were me I'd be frightened to fly it after putting in all that work. Flying or not it's a work of art.

Please keep the inspirational build photos coming.

Steve

dai phan
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Hello all,

Very impressive work. You should enter this in Top Gun contest and it will blow away many of much larger models. This model once completed should be in the Smithonian Museum in the WW1 Gallergy section! DP

barmonkey
09-15-2009, 07:01 AM
I was just rooting around the web looking for some rigging schematics for the DH2, and ran across this: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=145540&page=1

I am sure you have done your research on the DH2...thought you may find this interesting. WHAT A SPIDERWEB!

BTW thanks for the info on making the small metal parts. Tim

DCflyer
09-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Amazing craftsmanship! What weight are you targeting?..

Are you really going to fly it or will it be for static display?.. If it were me I'd be frightened to fly it after putting in all that work. Flying or not it's a work of art.

Please keep the inspirational build photos coming.

Steve i'm shooting for between 6 1/2 lbs to 7 lbs. yes exacty what i think and how i feel about my work. it is art to me 3 dementional art especially after youve invested 1200 to 1300 hrs in a build. as far as flying , all my builds i tried to do something different like the 1/6 scale DR1 with a robotic pilot that actually mans and flys the plane with the controls, although it hasn't been test flown. did some taxinging and a few little bunny hops but thats it. my DH-2 is my most involved indeavor yet even though i put that level of detail in all my planes with every build i get better, more ideas etc. so fly it? i'd think i'd rather sell it to a collector or museum. i'm trying to get in touch with john travolta i know he has a place up here and is an avid flyer of full scale planes and loves areoplanes the way we do, now how i go about doing that is another question but i know he'd love to hang it in one of his many rooms and would appreciate it, now if there are no takers i will probably get around to flying it with the help of a knowledgeable person to help me trim and ready the plane and also pilot it then will do a maiden. thanks for asking.
rob

DCflyer
09-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I was just rooting around the web looking for some rigging schematics for the DH2, and ran across this: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=145540&page=1

I am sure you have done your research on the DH2...thought you may find this interesting. WHAT A SPIDERWEB!

BTW thanks for the info on making the small metal parts. Tim
thanks tim i foud it very informative and the plans being a little vague on rigging, it let me know i'm going to have every thing in the right spot.
rob

degreen60
09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
here are some pics of a 1/5 scale proctor N-11, it's all repaired now.
Rob

Post some pictures of the N-11 after the crash so we can see what you had to repair.

7car7
09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
i will probably get around to flying it with the help of a knowledgeable person to help me trim and ready the plane and also pilot it then will do a maiden.
rob

Not sure how I missed this build. It's stunning just like your others. Nice to see you back at it. We really apreciate your talent, and are glad you share it with us.

What I'd really like to see you do is learn to fly (and maiden) your planes yourself. Many hand their planes over to the local "expert" for maidens, (and at the field that I go to, this is a positive thing, because the "local expert" is just that - a very good pilot). While others like me, learned on simple cheap planes. I learned with a 3D Tiger Moth - completely self taught. I know you enjoy building more than flying, but flying something scale really brings a whole new level to this hobby. I'd love to see you learn, and crash, a couple cheap simple planes. Then move up to a balsa ARF like Great Planes SE5 or DVII. If you crash those, fix them, and fly again. Once those are mastered, move on to your masterpiece planes you've built.

Nothing would make me happier to hear that you've learned to fly, and have had this plane up and back down in one piece.

hoffboy
09-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi DC flyer :ws: are you also SPIKKKKKKKK over at RCG, Some really nice builds there too, but they were never finished, like the DR1 and DV11 and the poor Proctor N-11 that a drunk flew and crashed it ;-) Oh well, thats RC, Take Care, Chellie

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! And now, after reading a few more posts forward, I see the whole story. I don't care WHERE you post, so long as you keep on doing so. Your astonishing patience and skill are a treat to behold. The fact that more than one of us recognized your work instantly is a very sincere compliment. You're raising the bar for us all ...well at least those who still have the guts to even attempt scratch building after seeing your work. (I know a few ex-writers who have been crippled by Cormac McCarthy.) ;-)

Question: Are you working from published plans on this one? I'm in the market for a set (AMA has some that I've inquired about, as does Arizona Modelers and Kit Cutters) and I'm trying to decide which to go with. Anyone else out there have an opinion?

-Matt

reuben199
09-24-2009, 01:09 AM
i'm shooting for between 6 1/2 lbs to 7 lbs. yes exacty what i think and how i feel about my work. it is art to me 3 dementional art especially after youve invested 1200 to 1300 hrs in a build. as far as flying , all my builds i tried to do something different like the 1/6 scale DR1 with a robotic pilot that actually mans and flys the plane with the controls, although it hasn't been test flown. did some taxinging and a few little bunny hops but thats it. my DH-2 is my most involved indeavor yet even though i put that level of detail in all my planes with every build i get better, more ideas etc. so fly it? i'd think i'd rather sell it to a collector or museum. i'm trying to get in touch with john travolta i know he has a place up here and is an avid flyer of full scale planes and loves areoplanes the way we do, now how i go about doing that is another question but i know he'd love to hang it in one of his many rooms and would appreciate it, now if there are no takers i will probably get around to flying it with the help of a knowledgeable person to help me trim and ready the plane and also pilot it then will do a maiden. thanks for asking.
rob

Rob
This is a truly beautiful aeroplane, if you are serious about selling it to someone who will appreciate it I would try to get in contact with Peter Jackson (from lord of the rings).
He has a company here in Nz that manufactors WW1 aircraft.
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/node
Thanks again for sharing this build, it is an amazing piece of craftmanship!
-Reuben

DCflyer
09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
hi folks. got a bunch more pics for you and the build is almost done just putting it all together and rigging, 70 turnbuckles worth. right know i'm cutting and building my own four blade prop, first time for me doing a prop, but in any case if you have any questions on any of the pics and methods i used just ask, i will answer. just to add i think your a great bunch of people and you are all my inspireration.

pd1
09-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Seeing that thing fly would be wonderful, but I really think it shouldn't.
It should be in one of the model magazines then in a museum.
I would be very nervous watching that fly knowing the care that went into it.

Beautiful job.

Paul

gramps2361
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Seeing that thing fly would be wonderful, but I really think it shouldn't.
It should be in one of the model magazines then in a museum.
I would be very nervous watching that fly knowing the care that went into it.

Beautiful job.

Paul
Your work is jawdropping to say the least. Agree with Paul 100% should be in a museum, and mag. I don't think I would fly it either.
It is a pleasure to follow this artistic build.
John

Cdr. Instigator
09-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Every time I check on the progress of this master piece, I realize I'm seeing a Master Piece in the making. Outstanding work DCflyer.. just outstanding workmanship..

WOW...........

hoffboy
09-25-2009, 10:31 PM
hi folks. got a bunch more pics for you and the build is almost done just putting it all together and rigging, 70 turnbuckles worth. right know i'm cutting and building my own four blade prop, first time for me doing a prop, but in any case if you have any questions on any of the pics and methods i used just ask, i will answer. just to add i think your a great bunch of people and you are all my inspireration.
I'm curious to know who's going to be behind the stick. Perhaps your beautiful little automaton? Or do you have something else up your sleeve? ;-)

dbcisco
09-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Someone here know any people at the rc or history mags? Get DCflyer published !!!!

WWI Ace
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Very Nice Plane!! I bow in your presence!!! Truly an artist at work!! Steve

Voyager2lcats
09-26-2009, 10:59 PM
If I saw a photo of this plane sitting in an empty field, I would think it was the real deal. Absolutely astonishing amount of faithful attention to detail.:) Fantastic job!

quorneng
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
DCFlyer
Amazing build with fantastic scale.
Just a small point but the cam case on the Gnome Monosoupape looks to be too small.
Depending on the model of the engine it actually stuck out quite a bit with each push rod entering at a different position.
This first illustration shows an early Monosoupape that had 9 individual cams in quite a big cam case with each push rod entering at a different angle.
The second picture shows a later version that I think only had 3 cams (but geared to go round at 1/2 engine speed?) and thus a rather smaller cam case with the push rods at only 3 different positions.
But you did say "museum quality"!
Simon

dbcisco
10-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Looks like each rod had its own lobe on the cam shaft.

dbcisco
10-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Do you know if the firing order was in-line, alternating or simultaneous?

quorneng
10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
The firing order was 1,3,5,7,9,2,4,6,8.

dbcisco
10-02-2009, 12:23 PM
That order looks like it had four two lobed cams. The rods would have been in a pattern of four pairs each pair having its own position on the cam shaft/cylinder.

edit: make that three on three lobes.

DCflyer
10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
DCFlyer
Amazing build with fantastic scale.
Just a small point but the cam case on the Gnome Monosoupape looks to be too small.
Depending on the model of the engine it actually stuck out quite a bit with each push rod entering at a different position.
This first illustration shows an early Monosoupape that had 9 individual cams in quite a big cam case with each push rod entering at a different angle.
The second picture shows a later version that I think only had 3 cams (but geared to go round at 1/2 engine speed?) and thus a rather smaller cam case with the push rods at only 3 different positions.
But you did say "museum quality"!
Simon yes i did say museum quality, you got me there. what happened is i needed to compress the depth of the engine because i only had so much room even with the shaft ext. so i had to cheat a little bit. i found so many different versions of this plane and it seemed to change considerbly from the early 1916 to the latter 1917. don't beat me up to bad Simon i'm fairly new to rc modeling and sometimes you just have to make things work, thanks for your input.

quorneng
10-02-2009, 08:57 PM
DCflyer
I guessed that was probably the reason.

Just as an aside I am looking at the possibility of burying an out runner completely inside the crankcase/cam case of a scale rotary.

DCflyer
10-02-2009, 09:39 PM
iv'e finally finished my bird with the exception of the airco logo's that go on all the struts. i made the four bladed prop out of cherry and i have to say it was a bear, but its done and didn't come out half bad for someone who has never made a prop before. i also had to make brass clevises, there all hand cut and silver soldered. with a plane like this every thing has to be tensioned. the rondels and #'s are super thin decals i made, there a pain in the butt to apply but when all is said and done they almost look like paint. everything works in the cockpit and the gnome spins with the prop etc., i'll be posting a video of all the functions very soon until then here are a bunch of pics of the DH-2 in all it's glory. i'd like to thank everyone for your compliments and support.

gramps2361
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
DC this plane of yours is a true work of art. The detail that you have done is beyond words. Hope you find a place to share this plane so others can admire it, not in a private collection.
Stunning job DC that's all I can say.
John

Yaytay
10-02-2009, 10:15 PM
That is such a thing of beauty.

barmonkey
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I would like to thank you for sharing with us!

pd1
10-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Another masterpiece finished.
Send some pictures to the Smithsonian, It would be nice for more people to be able to see it.

Paul

dbcisco
10-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Beyond words.

quorneng
10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
DCflyer
I have thought long an hard about even raising this but I cant find any reference to a 7 cylinder Gnome ever being used on the DH2.
Surely it was either a 100hp Monosoupape or a 110hp Le Rhone and they were both 9 cylinder or have I missed something?

pd1
10-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Excerpt.
"Most often attributed to the American F.D.Farwell the rotary engine may have had an earlier beginning in a compressed-air engine worked out by the Australian pioneer Lawrence Hargrave some eight or nine years prior. It is certain, however, that the French brothers Seguin brought the engine into commercial and mechanical life based on the conceptions of one brother (Laurent). It was in 1907 that his 7-cyl rotary was born - and it came to be known as the Gnome. This engine was followed by a succession of designs by many manufacturers, most of which were successful."

Link

http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/rotary-theory.htm

DCflyer
10-04-2009, 03:55 PM
DCflyer
I have thought long an hard about even raising this but I cant find any reference to a 7 cylinder Gnome ever being used on the DH2.
Surely it was either a 100hp Monosoupape or a 110hp Le Rhone and they were both 9 cylinder or have I missed something? i stand corrected ive missed something and like to thank you for pointing out this huge mistake, i'm going to get to work on a 9 cyclinder today and correct this. ive made mistakes before just like everyone but never something of this magnitude.

Voyager2lcats
10-05-2009, 01:36 AM
DCFlyer, you are one of the most conscientious builders I have yet seen. Most people would be affronted by someone questioning their build- even if true. Kudos to you for your honesty and graciousness to quorneng's information. I am repeating myself, but the effort you have put into this model is stupefying (guess I wasn't out of superlatives after all!;)). I hope you will continue to post your build projects.

dbcisco
10-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Your skill and enthusiasm is amazing!!!! I don't even have 1/100 of your patience and much less of everything else. My cap and goggles are off, I salute you.

DCflyer
10-05-2009, 06:09 PM
here is a video of the functions in the cockpit. i have a real crappy video camera it's one step above what you would get in a cracker jack box. no matter what i do i can't seem to get it crisp. i don't think the lens was made for close up work. can some one please tell me how to upload a video? i'm having a heck of a time so in the mean time here is url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpNGE37usY

degreen60
10-05-2009, 06:40 PM
here is a video of the functions in the cockpit. i have a real crappy video camera it's one step above what you would get in a cracker jack box. no matter what i do i can't seem to get it crisp. i don't think the lens was made for close up work. can some one please tell me how to upload a video?

Where do you live? Maybe someone on Wattflyer lives close enough to take a good video for you to post.

Cdr. Instigator
10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
2 words..

:censor: AMAZING!!!

7car7
10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
DCFlyer, you are one of the most conscientious builders I have yet seen. Most people would be affronted by someone questioning their build- even if true. Kudos to you for your honesty and graciousness to quorneng's information.

Exactly - lot's of ruffled feathers in this hobby at times - nice to see someone say "dang, missed that - I'll fix it"

can some one please tell me how to upload a video?

What have you done with the video? Is it posted to Youtube? Or Vimeo or some other sort of host site? If not, you'll have to do that first. If it's Youtube, you'll notice the black and red logo in the upper right of your edit window when posting a new message. Go to your Youtube video, and notice in the URL there is an "=" (equal) sign in the address. Copy everything in the URL that is to the right of that equal sign. Then, when editing or creating a message here, click on that YouTube icon. It will then look like this...

[ YOUTUBE] [ /YOUTUBE]

Insert your coppied URL (the part to the right of the equal sign) inbetween the brackets of the above YOUTUBE lettering.

Cdr. Instigator
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I just saw your video and subscribed for future updates.

You sir, have a master piece in your hands..

7car7
10-05-2009, 10:27 PM
UvpNGE37usY

dbcisco
10-05-2009, 11:43 PM
DCflyer,

You should post your build here (http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/wwi-aviation/).
This is a site way beyond my capabilities but not yours!
Others may find it a great resource or already know about it.

mistairjoe
11-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Bravo, Bravissimo.I got so many questions i don't know where to start. How many hours do you have in this model,since i can never finish anything.What drawings where you using or did you just blow up a Windsock Datafile?Did you make the wheels?Thanks for sharing. Joe

CarreraGTSCS
11-17-2009, 02:46 AM
DC-- I can only add to the compliments already paid you. I followed your precious builds on the other site and was disappointed when the posts ended. Glad I found you here. Now I have a reason to get up a few minutes earlier before work and read your postings over a hot cup of tea before a depressing 12-14 hours of labor.

If anyone has contacts at the Smithsonian steer them towards this man. Unbelievable quality and realism. Now I have to search here and see what you're on to now.

Mike

levendis
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
DCFlyer,
I'm not John Travolta, but have you considered accepting private commissions or even ebaying some of your existing work? While it may feel a little alienating, I do believe that this level of work might fetch thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Crating and shipping might be an issue but nothing compared to what you've achieved in that spad for example.
Leo

i'm shooting for between 6 1/2 lbs to 7 lbs. yes exacty what i think and how i feel about my work. it is art to me 3 dementional art especially after youve invested 1200 to 1300 hrs in a build. as far as flying , all my builds i tried to do something different like the 1/6 scale DR1 with a robotic pilot that actually mans and flys the plane with the controls, although it hasn't been test flown. did some taxinging and a few little bunny hops but thats it. my DH-2 is my most involved indeavor yet even though i put that level of detail in all my planes with every build i get better, more ideas etc. so fly it? i'd think i'd rather sell it to a collector or museum. i'm trying to get in touch with john travolta i know he has a place up here and is an avid flyer of full scale planes and loves areoplanes the way we do, now how i go about doing that is another question but i know he'd love to hang it in one of his many rooms and would appreciate it, now if there are no takers i will probably get around to flying it with the help of a knowledgeable person to help me trim and ready the plane and also pilot it then will do a maiden. thanks for asking.
rob

DCflyer
11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Bravo, Bravissimo.I got so many questions i don't know where to start. How many hours do you have in this model,since i can never finish anything.What drawings where you using or did you just blow up a Windsock Datafile?Did you make the wheels?Thanks for sharing. Joe thankyou joe, i have about 1200 hrs in this one and used P. Neate plans for the basics every thing else i scavanged the net for info and modified and redrew alot of things to make things work and so i could add a lot more detail.

DCflyer
11-20-2009, 07:19 PM
DCFlyer,
I'm not John Travolta, but have you considered accepting private commissions or even ebaying some of your existing work? While it may feel a little alienating, I do believe that this level of work might fetch thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Crating and shipping might be an issue but nothing compared to what you've achieved in that spad for example.
Leo i'm always interested in selling, even at a loss otherwise all they do is sit around and collect dust. i would would like them to go to someone who can apreciate the work and time and unrelenting devotion
that went into creating this aircraft. it's been a labor of love for sure and if the money is right crating is not a factor. thanks

DCflyer
12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
my beautiful DH-2 was in the back of my rav with the seats folded up and some jack off cut me off and had to lock up the brakes. any way both of the seats came out of the locking mech. and down on 1200 hrs. work, i almost cried. it may not look to damaged but it's not repairable if you look it's warped in every concievable way, from the frame to the wings, landing gear and so on. maybe i'll build something else to replace it as of now i'm going to strip down for parts, thank you all so much for your support and encouragement on this build.

gramps2361
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
That is a terrible shame DC Breaks my heart to see the damage that was done. That was/is a work of art glad you didn't get hurt, and hope ya gave that person what for. When you start your next build I hope you post it here your work is a pleasure to follow.
John

dbcisco
12-12-2009, 05:48 PM
That is heartbreaking.:sad: My heart goes out to you!
It still looks better than any of my planes.
To make lemonade from lemons; Could you make a diorama of a crash with it?
Maybe patch it together enough to fly it?

hoffboy
12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
my beautiful DH-2 was in the back of my rav with the seats folded up and some jack off cut me off and had to lock up the brakes. any way both of the seats came out of the locking mech. and down on 1200 hrs. work, i almost cried. it may not look to damaged but it's not repairable if you look it's warped in every concievable way, from the frame to the wings, landing gear and so on. maybe i'll build something else to replace it as of now i'm going to strip down for parts, thank you all so much for your support and encouragement on this build.

This is sad news indeed. Please, before you scrap it, walk away and come back with fresh eyes. All damaged aircraft can be repaired, but sometimes emotion gets the best of us. You might find it worth repairing after all.
-Matt

gramps2361
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
This is sad news indeed. Please, before you scrap it, walk away and come back with fresh eyes. All damaged aircraft can be repaired, but sometimes emotion gets the best of us. You might find it worth repairing after all.
-Matt

Isn't that the truth walk away forget abut for awhile and it doesn't seem as bad. DC a man with your gift to build you should see this as a challenge to rise up to not as something to give up on.

floss
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Life sucks sometimes. Thinking positive its better off at the moment than it would have been if it spiralled into the ground from 60 ft up.

Remember you've still got the wonderful talent that made it in the first place DC :D

Steve

barmonkey
12-13-2009, 08:24 AM

So sad to hear of this...Especially since this isn't the first that an untimely accident has happened to one of your wonderful creations! I am sure that all of us here can empathise with your pain...although I doubt few have so much time involved in a single build.

Just to relate to your pain...I had a Corsair meet a similar situation. This was actually my third plane I had built...merely a GWS foamie I just glued together...I did spend a bit of time and $ researching Corsairs and trying to get just the right colors for her (not nearly the level of mastery of detail and craftsmanship that you you have achieved mind you).

At any rate, Several years ago I was en-route from work to home hoping for an early morning maiden. Some "jack" cut me off causing me to slam on my brakes! Well... All of the contents in the back of my Cherokee slid forward... all I could hear is the sickening crunch and cracking behind me. Yup, this was the crushing of my poor Corsair (and a Spitfire)! After rebuilding, the Corsair ended up being the best flying plane I have had!

As has been mentioned before...let her sit for a bit...then take another look...maybe things aren't as bad as they seem. I know that you are sickened and quite peeved at the situation, but perhaps a bit of time away will freshen your thoughts on this plane.
After all, the real planes didn't live charmed lives themselves now did they? Unfortunately a lot of pilots and soldiers didn't have a very high survivability rate either.

Maybe this is your chance to work on your flying :tc: If I remember correctly, you don't have much experience flying...nor do you have a trusted friend to fly for you (DR.I ?) So here is your chance! Take all the details off....lighten this baby up and give her a go.... before you toss it in the bin! If not, I am certain someone here would be happy to give her a good home!

WWI Ace
12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
It makes me sick that DC's plane got broken!! That is actually still a very nice plane though and you guys are right. It can probably be fixed. Steve

PaperAirplane
12-14-2009, 01:47 AM
I hope that that you repair the plane, DCFlyer. You can rebuild certain parts, and use other undamaged parts again. I wish you luck.

enemyace19
09-05-2010, 02:05 AM
wow it was a work of art to be sure sorry it was broken...

7car7
09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Dang, somehow I missed the damage report. Totally fixable. Just re-rig it to straighter her up. A bit of time and you'll never know the difference.

If you want to scrap it because it's not perfect, well, dare I say, NOTHING of this world is perfect, certainly not our airplanes either.

wattman
09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
You could box it up and send it too degreen60 , hes good at rebuilding crashes into something to fly again , really . :D :)