PDA

View Full Version : I plan to build a 3D plane from scratch...

Lokihaus
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
So My HL Yak is hanging on by a thread, and I thought I would try my hand at building a plane from scratch from some Depron. I wanted my wingspan and overall size to be about 20% smaller then the HL Yak.

Do you think 1 sheet of 13"x39", 6mm depron would be enough? Also, I guess, how hard is it to build a plane from scratch? I'm pretty versed in modeling with balsa and have build 8-10 planes in my RC life...

Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there for people to chim in, thanks.

-mr

MikeMc
03-01-2006, 11:50 PM
If you can cut/build balsa then you can build depron easy.

Lokihaus
03-06-2006, 02:43 AM
So I was looking into what online store I could purchase some Depron from. I was referred to www.depronusa.com. But they have a $30 min purchase. I just want a sheet or 2. Does anyone know of a place where I can just buy 1 or 2 sheets of 13"x39", not 30 bucks worth? Thanks!

nova801428
03-06-2006, 03:50 AM
if this fits in the category, you can get epp foam from edgerc.com

Lokihaus
03-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I only saw 2" thick sheets at edgerc.com. I'm looking for the 6mm stuff. But thanks, I'd never been to edgerc.com before. =)

Crashalott
03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I only saw 2" thick sheets at edgerc.com. I'm looking for the 6mm stuff. But thanks, I'd never been to edgerc.com before. =)

If you don't mind Depapering it(remove paper) you can get foamboard at Walmart stores.It costs around $2.97 a sheet(30x20)
Soak the foamboard in the bathtub(hot water) for around 30 min and then work the paper off by using a rubber glove and rubbing it off.
I lay mine on a flat surface to do the rubbing.
After doing a board or 2 you will get the hang of it.
I have built quite a few airplanes out of foamboard and there are techniques posted on rcgroups that have helped me to build them.
Hope this helps.

WACOFlyer
03-28-2006, 03:48 PM
If you don't mind Depapering it(remove paper) you can get foamboard at Walmart stores.It costs around $2.97 a sheet(30x20)
Soak the foamboard in the bathtub(hot water) for around 30 min and then work the paper off by using a rubber glove and rubbing it off.
I lay mine on a flat surface to do the rubbing.
After doing a board or 2 you will get the hang of it.
I have built quite a few airplanes out of foamboard and there are techniques posted on rcgroups that have helped me to build them.
Hope this helps.

No need to soak it.
Lay a sheet on a sturdy flat surface, separate the the paper (just enough to grip it) from a corner with an exacto knife, using a dowel rod or similiar, it will roll right off. (like a rolling pin) I have done many sheets like this. This also works for unskinning fan fold foam.
I got some 20" x 30" sheets on sale at Hobby Lobby (crafts) for 99 cents a sheet.
My 2 cents.....

losi24
03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
i am currently building a foamyfactory.com 3DX from elmers foam board. the stuff works great! i used crashalott's method for the wings, stab, rudder, and other control surfaces, and didn't uncover the fuselage pieces. i just got the elevator hinged, and i am planning on having it done today sometime. thanks for the tip on the foamboard crashalott! i was going to spend $30 on some depron until i saw this thread. i picked up 2 sheets of 3/16"x20"x30" for $3 a sheet a wallyworld.

SkyPilot
03-30-2006, 02:36 AM
FWIW, Balsa Products (http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V603330) sells 5mm foam similar to Depron. Ten sheets runs $19.95.

Tom

Gonnacrash
04-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Michael,
Check this out and see what you think... Great reviews on same site.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390003

Don-Basehor, Ks

runwaydodger
04-04-2006, 05:36 AM
if you go to the garden section at wal-mart they have the colored elmers board for 99 cents. it and fan-fold is about all i use any more. i remove all the paper. if you put it in a high humid area for a hour or so, paper just pulls right off.

thomdoe
04-04-2006, 05:54 AM
You might want to send Dave at rcsuperpowers.com an e-mail. I think he will help you. Keith

darkside212
04-04-2006, 03:41 PM
I use blucore from lowe's .....it is the best for the money $35 (with tax) for 24 sheets
they measure 48" by 36" (I think)

Its so easy to work with and you can actually heat it and bend it to make one piece airfoils!

rockin' roller
04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
FWIW, Balsa Products (http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V603330) sells 5mm foam similar to Depron. Ten sheets runs $19.95.

Tom

It is quite a bit heavier and stronger than Depron.

rockin' roller
04-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Lokihouse, do you intend to draw up your own plans, or use one of the many free plans available? If you build from one of the better company's plans, it is actually quite simple, and educational, because they put lots of notes on the plans to help you out. Check these sites.
http://www.3dfoamy.com/index.html
http://www.foamyfactory.com/

Even if you don't build these, you will learn from looking at their plans, and reading their notes. I think the Mini 3DX from foamy factory may be right up your alley. I built the full size one and it flew very well.

Also, if you can find Bluecor Fan Fold Foam, it works great, and is much less expnsive then Depron.

Have Fun.