PDA

View Full Version : Polk Hobbies DR-1 ( It Fly's great)

raido56
09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi All, Well got my Polk Hobbies DR-1 done and it fly's very nice. I was reading the very long old thread on RCG done about this plane and just can't see why many flyers were doing all kinds of mod's to the plane to get it lite in the tail. My plane is all stock and it fly's just fine. The only thing I did was mount my battery under the motor mount with a battery hold down strap from my E-Flite airliner and the ESC is mounted on top of the motor mount. I also had to cut the bottom of the cowl to get the battery out easy. I also made my own guns from hard wood and some carbon tubes. Some guys were cutting the ailerons because they say there was not enough down in them. You don't have too do that you only need 6 mm of down and they work just fine. This is a WW1 bi-plane not a sport flyer so set it up as per the manual and it will fly real nice. For my first flight I had the CG set at 26 mm from the leading edge of the middle wing. My set up is a Atlas 2915/08 1710 Kv motor with a Top-Flite 8x4 super M prop, 50 amp ESC with a UBEC powered by a 3 cell 30C 2780 pack. I had 4 of these motors sitting around and I also used 2 of them on my Polk Hobbies C-47. All the servo's are Tower Pro 9 gm servo's and are mounted in the plane as per the book and work just fine for this plane. I did not have to add any weight to the plane to get the CG right. I will be trying a 8x5 prop and might even try a 9x4 on it. With the 8x4 super M prop it fly's great at about 1/2 speed. For the 25 bucks Polk was selling them for it's was a real good deal to me. I fly from a grass field and the take off was very nice the tail came up at about 1/2 stick rolling out about 15 feet and off it went. Rolls are slow just like the real one. Loops are great and it will do a very nice tail slide. Landing was a joy it just floated in with a bit of up on the landing. Just remember this is a WW1 plane not a sport flyer it's not made for speed. The last pic shows how I mounted the battery. It's real easy to remove for recharging. Below are a few pic's of it at the field ready for it's maiden flight.

Keep em flying:D
raido56/ Herb

idealhobbies
09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Good to hear that yours is flying well. Mines under construction. I am almost finished. UPS was kind enough to crush my box so I have had to rebuild the top wing. I have to mount the servos for the Rudder and the Elevator, set them up, balance, and then she'll be ready.
My setup:
TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 35-36 910Kv
40amp ESC
12x6 APC Prop (Will change to Xoar wooden once I dial everything in)
4x Towerpro 9gm servos
Switching BEC
Spektrum AR 6100e
Zippy 2200mah 11.1v 20 battery (subject to balancing. May increase as I balance)

Thanks for the battery idea. I've been struggling with that issue.

All American
11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Idealhobbies.............How's the build going?

Radio56............Are you still flying it?

I haven't started mine yet. Any suggestions or construction issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

raido56
11-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Idealhobbies.............How's the build going?

Radio56............Are you still flying it?

I haven't started mine yet. Any suggestions or construction issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Hello, Yes I am still flying my DR1. As far as any mods to my plane I didn't do any all stock build. The only thing I did was put my battery up front under the motor so I did't have to add any lead to get the CG right on. All the servo's were placed as per the book. Right now I have a higher KV motor than I like to have in it but at the time it was the only motor I had to make the DR1 fly good. I have a 8x5 prop on it as that is the largest I can go with the 3 cell 2200 30C pack and motor and get about 6 min flight time. I just picked up a GForce G25 Outrunner thats 890 KV that I will be replacing the 1410 KV motor with. I will be able to run a 10x6 to 12x6 prop no problem and still not push the battery and get longer flight times. I also picked up some 3 cell 2870 30C packs that work out real well.

raido56/ Herb

All American
11-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello, Yes I am still flying my DR1. As far as any mods to my plane I didn't do any all stock build. The only thing I did was put my battery up front under the motor so I did't have to add any lead to get the CG right on. All the servo's were placed as per the book. Right now I have a higher KV motor than I like to have in it but at the time it was the only motor I had to make the DR1 fly good. I have a 8x5 prop on it as that is the largest I can go with the 3 cell 2200 30C pack and motor and get about 6 min flight time. I just picked up a GForce G25 Outrunner thats 890 KV that I will be replacing the 1410 KV motor with. I will be able to run a 10x6 to 12x6 prop no problem and still not push the battery and get longer flight times. I also picked up some 3 cell 2870 30C packs that work out real well.

raido56/ Herb

Thanks Herb, for the detailed reply!

I'm in the planning stages and putting together my shopping list for all of my winter builds

I read that someone was putting an Astro Cobalt Geared 05 on their Polk's Dr-1 and that no additional nose weight was needed. I have an Astro 05G with no home. I've got ESC's good for NIMH but they have the wrong cut off voltage for LIPO. I hate to invest in another brushed ESC so I'm not sure which way I'll go at this point.

I appreciate the reply and I'm anxious to hear back from you about the GForce 890kv G25 Outrunner.

Regards,

Anthony

davey NY
01-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Any updates on this plane? RCG did make quite an issue out of modding it. Anyone tell me their AUW?

Thanks,
David

CarreraGTSCS
02-10-2012, 07:18 PM
David-- Done any work on yours?

Mike

davey NY
02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
hey Mike!!

Tons of work. I need to start a build log tonight on the forum. I will be missing some before/after pics but maybe some of the guys have before pics they can post.

I wanna make it a real nice build log and get some great video on the web. You are the only plane videos on this bird, did you know that?! :<:

Its a shame..lots of guys have this plane too.

I am having trouble figuring out how to construct the rudder.my LHS has no wood..thoughts, Mike?

David

CarreraGTSCS
02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes I do. Have a look at the latest pics on my Sopwith Triplane build thread. Laminate the rudder. It's not hard, gives a great result and is pretty cool to do. Do you have any 1/32" balsa sheet or sticks? Do you have a soldering iron? When I get back to my Dr.1 I'll be laminating a new rudder.

Mike

davey NY
02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I am pretty handy but I do not even understand what laminating is...?? I can work with wood and I can solder just fine though.

Is it covered in your Sopwith build?

D

CarreraGTSCS
02-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Find my Sop Triplane thread. If I can get out of the house today and pick up a piece of 1/8" rowel then I'll take pics as I go along and explain.

davey NY
02-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Awesome. Will do. Much appreciated Mike.

davey NY
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Feel better, Mike

:)