PDA

View Full Version : First flight, first crash!

Starmoon
03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Well, there was NO wind so I took my freedom out. The first flight lasted about 30 secs, and I cut the throttle, and belly landed ok. The second flight, I tried to gain more altitude, and the plane seemed to work GREAT....I was even able to maintain orietnation when the plane flew over my head, but I tried to gain more altitude and the mistakenly cut the throttle and crashed hard. The battery was out of the canpoy when I arrived, the tail boom in two near the vtail. I don't know whether to repair the boom (damaged right near the tail screws) or just order a new tail and fuselage....(Half the price of a new plane!)

HELP!!

Kosh
03-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Always try to fix it first before ordering anything, The small about of glue or epoxy wont make much difference in the way it flys. Im pretty sure you can also just get the boom if your repair fails. Think about trying FMS flight sim for free, Lots of V-Tail planes can be downloaded to practice on a little before your next flight. Dont let it get you down, there will be more crashes ahead but if you look back on it you learn from each one.
FMS program: http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
Some planes: http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm
The T-Hawk handles about the same as your plane and worth spending a few hour on the sim with.

Kosh

flyranger
03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I've crashed two planes this year, made them lawn darts, by flying over my head towards my back and while turning around, lost perspective! You'd think I would know better now, wouldn't you? Anyway, if you don't want to crash them - don't fly them!!

Domino
03-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I found a little plastic 'splint' for my at Ace Hardware. It's about an inch long plastic cylinder and fits over the boom perfectly, just CA in place and you'll be ready to fly.

Starmoon
03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the replies...I really think that the freedom was too much plane for me...that 480 motor makes the plane go FAST!!! I'm thinking of getting a Firebird Scout and fixing the freedom when I can fly the Scout easily.

Matt Kirsch
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Stick with the Freedom. It's larger size makes it a much better flier.

The plane shouldn't be too fast. It's a "Zone 1," so there really isn't anything simpler or slower in Horizon's RTF fleet... Are you flying in wind? Try to choose times when the wind is nearly calm for your first few sessions. Once you get used to it, you'll say, "Wind? What wind?"