PDA

View Full Version : Just another SIG D VII

TM4197
09-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Ok, my Tiger Moth was getting bored flying around the field with no one to chase. I saw "dbcisco" talk about his SIG. So, why not go ahead and get one. Look at the price!! Well, I thought the TM was fun to fly! Good grief, this plane goes together fast. I had it ready in 4 hours and then couldnt get myself to do the maiden. The kit was shipped better than I have seen in a long time. The parts were all there and in great shape. No leading edge wing (inserts) but they did have a plastic tube which I glued under the wing. The simulated motor and machine guns looked a little plain, but black and gold Sharpies took care if that. I added some checker decal to the rear wing and the wheel wing to give it a look a little different than the rest of the SIGS out there. The little 180 motor is off set by default when you mount it to the fuse, just make sure you put the fuse together perfect or this default angle will no longer be valid. I got the nerve to maiden her, 5 knot steady winds. The plane popped the rear skid off the ground (full throt) in about 3 feet, a little rudder to keep her straight and she flew off the ground with no problem. The Fokker tracked straight up into a nice scale climb and basically flew hands off until I got to altitude. She flies very smooth. Cutting back to 3/4 throt. and she leveled off for some fantastic scale like flying. I used a GWS ESC, a unknown 4 channel receiver and towerpro micro servos. The CG came out perfect at 1/2 inch behind the leading edge. All I can say, if you want a fun slow flyer that looks and flies really nice, blow the dust off the old SIG kit and get her flying. I will get another one and paint her Erich L÷wenhardt's Jasta 10 colors.

Rabbitcreekok
09-09-2009, 02:40 AM
TM, you have two nice looking biplanes there. There is nothing like a biplane.

TM4197
09-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks! they are both the most fun to fly. I was very fortunate to fly a real Moth in Victoria Canada years back. When I first flew the GWS TM I was shocked how close it resembles the actual plane..both in looks and flight.

Rabbitcreekok
09-09-2009, 03:04 AM
There is nothing like flying a fullsize open cockpit biplane. I have never flown a TM but I have flown Stearmans.

dbcisco
09-09-2009, 04:55 AM
It is too bad Sig is dropping these. GWS was supposed to take over the Fokker model but no release date yet. Glad you got one! I'm keeping my eyes open for a Sig Jenny to complete the set.

TM4197
09-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Iam very pleased with this one. Did you ever fly your scout yet? I found one online, about to get it. If its anything like the D VII, I won't be disappointed I'am sure.

dbcisco
09-09-2009, 05:14 AM
I haven't flown the Scout yet (I borrowed the RX in it to set up the Guillows Scout conversion) but it is almost identical to the Fokker so it should be a great flier too.

wattman
09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes a very nice Fok D7 , looks great .

sinker49
09-11-2009, 04:24 AM
I just got my D-7 the other day and was looking around to see if I could find any reviews to help me make up my mind about it.After reading about your experience with it and the way you reminded me of how much fun I had afew years ago with the GWS Tiger Moth ,I think I'll keep it.BTW I just watched The Red Baron ,Again and that also put me in the mood for some WW1 Aerodrome Action.only one small problem to solve is how to carry it to the local park/schoolyard on the back of my motorscooter without blowing it to pieces.Say,maybe if I carry the wings in the box and rubberband the fuse to the boxtop.Or,maybe WallyWorld has A plastic storage box that is at least 34" long ,oops better make that 36" with a little padding.or ???The Adventure Cont....

dbcisco
09-11-2009, 04:36 AM
I threw a J-3 Foamie in the hatchback and didn't secure or pad it, then I got side tracked and it was bouncing around back there for a day's worth of errands.The wings and tail feathers were in little chunks all over the cargo area. Might as well have just flown it into a wall at full throttle. :) Learned my lesson the hard way.

sinker49
09-11-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm sorry,sounded like a bad end to a nice little cub.

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Is there anyboy out there....Floyd fan and I just rebuilt my SIG cub today, flying tommorrow.

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Sorry, just realized this is a WWI era discussion that either I can't figure out how to engage or nobody's in here. I do have a Stearman and a SE5 (Great Planes). Too pretty to fly often but I love it.

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Mind if I join?

dbcisco
09-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Welcome to the WWI section.
Mostly WWI but we do manage to get occasionally sidetracked by earlier and pre-WWII planes. You will probably find a lot of Tigermoths, Stearmans and Bleriots in here (some repainted and modded to look like WWI planes). Scale and stand-off scale, foam and balsa all get along here. This is also, IMHO, one of the friendliest forums you will find. Have yet to a see a flame-war or bashing session in here. Maybe it is the WWI aviation chivalric attitude, are we not the "Knights of the Air" ?

sinker49
09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Engarde' Now for a headon pass!

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Good to hear, I'm avoiding all confrontation on the internet, I can get all I want of that on practically any other site by the "political activists" we are now enjoying. I love the WWI era and the chivalric and romanticized ideals that the pilots must have had to have flown with such bravery and pride. We sure could use some nationalism and good old fashioned decency in our society today, it's sorely lacking no matter which political affilation you follow. Sorry to soapbox, I'm just staggered by the hatred I've seen lately on the internet and I hope it doesn't bleed into these forums. Back to the subject, I've been thinking about the SPAD or maybe a nice Fokker Tri and was wondering if you have any suggestions on a good 40 size kit that could be modified for eflight. Looked at the Dumas but after putting together and subsequently splintering into a million pieces, a Waco, I was wanting something a little more durable. Any thoughts?

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I do have a SIG J3 cub that I've had for years, one of the best kits I've ever put together and still flying after dozens of motors and esc's and literally more flights than I can remember. Great quality and design, basic and vanilla but very durable with great flight characteristics. Was my first electric kit actually. Very interested in this SIG Fokker in the thread.

dbcisco
09-11-2009, 03:41 PM
The Sig Fokker, Bristol Scout and Jenny are foam construction rather than balsa. Some people like foam, some balsa. For a quick build foam is great but balsa can look more realistic and is the traditional method of construction. Foam construction models are usually cheaper but not always. GreatPlanes/Electrifly has a few balsa constructed ARF's for under $100 while Eflite and GWS foam ones can sell for over $70. It seems to me they all take a beating when you crash but some find one or the other more durable.
While there are balsa and scale purists out there, nobody here will bash you for having a "foamie" or stand-off scale plane.

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I have both (GWS Stearman) and it's very durable and fun to fly. But I started with Dumas F/F as a kid so I'm definately partial to Balsa. I noticed that it was foam, sounds like he doped it with fabric? Didn't catch all the dialogue but it looks good. I was looking more for a balsa kit though, like I said in the 40 to 50 size for a SPD or Fokker (Tri or D VII). I have a great planes SE5 and it is one of my favorites. Looks very scale and flies like what I believe a real one would. Love the Bipes, would like to add a slightly larger electric, don't mind kits at all in fact I'm one of the guys who enjoys the building and details as much or more than the flying I must admit. Looked at SIG and Herr Engineering, they have a beautiful Fokker DR I on the latest AMA magazine. Nick Zeroli designed and abolutely great looking but it's huge, 44% I believe. Like to find one scaled down for eflight. Have a Ziroli House of Balsa Texan that IS my favorite plane. Sorry that's a WWII though.

dbcisco
09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I have only done guillows electric conversions (SE5 done and Scout in process) and I would not recommend them to start. There are other kits that are better suited to electric, I am sure others will help with suggestions and guidance. Start your own topic about it and you will get lots of help.

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Done the Guillows before (free flight). Like the Dumas, not quite sturdy enough for me. I'll start a thread and I appreciate your reception and information. Hope to talk soon. THanks, Chris

sinker49
09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
What would be a good source for a Cirrus Micro Joule S5A-2 electronic speed control? I already have the 2 micro Joule servos and reciever but I need the Speed control to complete the setup for my D-7. I want to get it really light!

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I think that castle creations has a micro esc (they call it a pixie). That or the GWS 5 amp. Both are about as light as I've seen.

chris123sc
09-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Just saw the cirrus micro joule 5 amp esc for 19 and change at www.hobbypeople.net (http://www.hobbypeople.net) also. FYI

sinker49
09-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks Chris123sc,I called and it was in stock,since they're only 3.4 mi. from me.I scootered on down there and I bought it and a brand new 2s 480 lipo for the D-7 also. Next Question: Does any one Know if that is a motor sized in the stock Sig D-7 like the GWS IPS gearboxes.I was thinking that Maybe an old Fiegao brushless I have might work better and then I could use my micro and HS55 Hitec setup for better Radio Range. choices choices! superlight or more power?

TM4197
09-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, just an update on the new D VII taking flight lead from the Tiger Moth. This thing flies sweet. I am interested in this 180 motor. When I cranked it up the first time, I am thinking no way this is gonna push this Fokker. But as I said in my first review, it more than pushes it. Granted you cannot do a lot of power maneuvers, but she sure looks great against the sky. Since I am bragging now, I do have to say this...I forced my brother to fly the Tiger Moth. He got 2 battery pacs worth of training and I cut him loose. I just said fly it around and have fun. Then the FOKKER broke ground in a skyward climb and proceeded to harass the Moth. We had more people stop by the side of the field and watch than any other time I have been flying Rc's. They seemed to really enjoy the site of these two bi-planes just floating 25 feet over the grass. Now, what really bothers me is the fact that I nosed over on what appeared to be a perfect approach. She was floating in perfectly flat ...touched down and then the dreaded BLOOOOP! Meanwhile, my brother soloed the Tiger in on a wobbly one wing down approach and NAILS the landing. I am talking about two mains touching down...tail wheel up and smiling...then a nice settle down to a stop. I don't like my brother anymore! Next time...he's mine!

floss
10-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi TM4197

The Sig DVII sure is a fun fly, I fitted mine from new with a GWS 350 motor and g/box and it went well. Had to fit a CF rod across the lower wing because it folded one day pulling out of a loop but that was the only mishap I had with this plane because it is so easy to fly. Had some fun detailing it a bit too with a better engine etc.

Steve

degreen60
10-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Meanwhile, my brother soloed the Tiger in on a wobbly one wing down approach and NAILS the landing. I am talking about two mains touching down...tail wheel up and smiling...then a nice settle down to a stop. I don't like my brother anymore! Next time...he's mine!

Your brother needs to pratice till he can do the forward flip on landing. LOL

TM4197
10-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice DVII Floss! Still burning the little 180 motor. It really fly's slow...but your right..a good fun fly! I like the fact that it still can do a take off on short grass. How difficult was the 350 change over? I see it looks good behind the cowling, any cutting needed?

Degreen60: He finally has enough flight time to make the traditional flip at the end! I don't feel so bad now! I need another plane that will fly along side the DVII. Just not sure which one yet! The TM has to fly half throttle to stay in the frame!

floss
10-31-2009, 11:45 PM
The 180 does do it nice and slow, I also have the Jenny and I started off with the 180 in that.
No cutting required, basically made a little ply plate with a stick poking out for the GWS stick mount and then glued the plate onto the firewall.

Steve

degreen60
11-01-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't feel so bad now! I need another plane that will fly along side the DVII. Just not sure which one yet! The TM has to fly half throttle to stay in the frame!

Is it about the right size to fly with the Eflite SE5A or Nieuport?

TM4197
11-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Good deal! I have alot of 350's sitting around..might make that change one day. I am sure that 180 will give out sooner or later! What impressed me with this plane was the fact that she flew good right out of the box. CG was right on, alignment was good and people who stop and watch..love it!

Degreen60: Thanks for the info...been looking at all the threads on those two planes!!