PDA

View Full Version : Flying Styro KI-61 Tony and Me-109G on sale at Hobby Lobby

easytiger
03-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Great deal at $99 each. If you get both, you get a $25 discount on orders over $150, an even better deal.
I ordered up a camoflaged Tony, but skipped the Me-109G, it's nice, but not my favorite airplane.
I have an old Royal Tony in the same scheme, six channels, just never got around to flying it. The FS one is sooooo scale. Love it.

easytiger
03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Ordered Friday, showed up Monday, today! HL rocks.
The kit is just terriffic, better than expectations, it's a steal at the price.
There is a lot of myth around the FS/Alfa/GWS debate...I find the FS ones are not tough at all to build, and are definitely NOT less sturdy than the Alfas. They are the same thing that way. The Alfas, of course, go together faster, but are much less detailed. GWS is just not in the same category.
Anyway, I'm tickled pink, I will put it together soon. I will skip the landing gear, as it is not plug-in removeable, and it would require adding rudder, too. I think I will go as light as possible. Two lipoly cells and a cheapo brushless outrunner.

spinnetti
03-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Great deal at $99 each. If you get both, you get a $25 discount on orders over $150, an even better deal.
I ordered up a camoflaged Tony, but skipped the Me-109G, it's nice, but not my favorite airplane.
I have an old Royal Tony in the same scheme, six channels, just never got around to flying it. The FS one is sooooo scale. Love it.

109's are gone :( They can't have been THAT bad a seller!

easytiger
03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Don't know how many 109's sold, but the 61...well...less than you think, probably. I won't say, but let me say I was very, very surprised.
Not surprised that the 109 would sell much better. The famous birds sell, the 109 is famous, the 61 is not.

easytiger
04-15-2006, 05:36 AM
My tony is all ready to fly, what a beautiful kit....

easytiger
04-16-2006, 05:00 PM
It flies BEAUTIFULLY....

Bill G
04-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Still want the green Stuka Ju87. Hey, its 10 bucks off now too. What do you think Curtis? Almost hit that buy button the other day.

easytiger
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Ah. You would have to ask Mike Hines, who has flown it, but I suspect the Stuka is a paved-runway-only model. Doubt the wheels, especaially in pants, will roll on anything but the very smoothest grass, and it would look awfully funny with the landing gear taken off! I can totally see it tripping up onto its back on any landing on grass.
I'd GUESS this is why that was not a popular model. Certainly the scale appearance is DYNAMITE.
But this is pure speculation, give Mike Hines a call and get the real scoop.

Could not be more pleased with the Tony, though. Mine will get a further round of detailing and weathering.

Bill G
04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Ah. You would have to ask Mike Hines, who has flown it, but I suspect the Stuka is a paved-runway-only model. Doubt the wheels, especaially in pants, will roll on anything but the very smoothest grass, and it would look awfully funny with the landing gear taken off! I can totally see it tripping up onto its back on any landing on grass.
I'd GUESS this is why that was not a popular model. Certainly the scale appearance is DYNAMITE.
But this is pure speculation, give Mike Hines a call and get the real scoop.

Could not be more pleased with the Tony, though. Mine will get a further round of detailing and weathering.

It does appear to be a smooth runway flyer in the video. Looks like it flys pretty well, for high taper ratio wings. You can see it roll back and for a bit in the video, but looks pretty stable.

easytiger
04-18-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm sure it's not a PROBLEM to fly, for a very scale warbird, like you say, with narrow tips, but I just cannot see the wheel pants as being anything but a flip over on every landing on grass. Nature of the subject. Any stuka that size will have the same issues. Pavement, no sweat.
Flew the Tony again today. Just wonderful.
With the BP8y motor, it has unlimited vertical. Very windy today, was no problem at all. 10 turn spins in either direction, stall turns, inside and outside loops, snaps...
Roll rate is very slow with the scale ailerons. Rudder throw is limited, plenty for skids and landing corrections, not enough for knife edge.
At any rate, a gorgeous model.

easytiger
11-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Still going, after a hundred flights. The BP8y motor bit the dust, I remotored her with a 920kv motor from Nitromodels, much, much higher quality piece of machinery, and more power.
Flying the heck out of her lately, no damage whatsoever, really loving this model. I fly with the drop tanks on, they add a nice dimension to it.