PDA

View Full Version : Are large rc scale helicopters fixed pitch

sam94
09-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Are large RC helicopters like the Hirobo Lama fixed pitch,

Only in videos when you see these large helis you never see them fly 3D, so are they fixed pitch?

Thanks in advance

cbatters
09-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Are large RC helicopters like the Hirobo Lama fixed pitch,

Only in videos when you see these large helis you never see them fly 3D, so are they fixed pitch?

Thanks in advance

No. Not fixed pitch.

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/lama_1.shtml

MaxAdventure
09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
When you say large, I assume you mean 600mm blades and larger. I haven't seen a fixed-pitch machine made since the '80s. A machine that is sought after for 3D usually has a very high power to weight ratio. Scale features add a lot of weight, reducing the performance. Another factor is people that put the hours into detailing usually are interested in scale flight, not trying to thrash their machine to death.

sam94
09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
When you say large, I assume you mean 600mm blades and larger. I haven't seen a fixed-pitch machine made since the '80s. A machine that is sought after for 3D usually has a very high power to weight ratio. Scale features add a lot of weight, reducing the performance. Another factor is people that put the hours into detailing usually are interested in scale flight, not trying to thrash their machine to death.

yeah like me then, i love flying scale flight!:ws:

crashoverride
09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
multiplex funcopter, is the biggest Fixed pitch I found, thats doing a quick google search

MaxAdventure
09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
probably the most popular vintage fixed-pitch:
http://www.helibaby.de/en/index.htm

1320fastback
10-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Not to be argumentative but what is not scale about being cyclic pitch?

sam94
10-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Not to be argumentative but what is not scale about being cyclic pitch?

Well what i mean is fixed pitch fly like scale helicopters dont they, fixed pitch heli's dont do loops and barrel rolls like cp heli's do.

I think (my opinion) that fixed pitch helis fly more like real helis, althought you can make cp helis fly scale, its easier with a fp

1320fastback
10-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Easier no doubt.

Personally though I would like to see all the linkages and hear the rotor RPM even though you would not be using it to its aerobatic abilities. Flying outdoors whenever you want would be another plus.

Of course like you, this is just my opinion. And I respect yours.

DKNguyen
10-03-2009, 10:18 AM
...not really good reasons...they don't make much sense to me.

Making the collective go from 0 to positive rather than negative to positive (just like scale helis) fixes the ability to do loops and barrel rolls. Give it a lower power to weight ratio (just like a scale heli) to stop it from powering through barrel rolls and loops even without negative pitch, and it'll fly like a scale heli even more than fixed pitch and be more mechanically accurate too.