PDA

View Full Version : spray adhesive for Solarfilm to EPP

semiroundel
03-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi, anyone help with a nomination for good spray adhesive for profilm (solarfilm)to EPP.
My Dave's Aircraft Works Staudacher is asking for 3M super 77, can't seem to find it here in UK, any alternatives?
Jules

Don Sims
03-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Not sure if they have it in the UK but I use Bordens spray. So far no damage to any foamies but I hold the can at least 9 inches away forom the plane just in case.

Bill G
03-04-2006, 08:55 PM
The 3M spray is basically just a foam safe adhesive contact spray. Probably a number of brands that would work. 3M also has another contact spray I've used that works fine with foam. Can't remember the name, but comes in a very light green can.
Like to know how the plane turns out. There is a DAW Extra that has been at a LHS forever. Guess poeple don't build anymore. I've thought of picking it up, since I actually prefer planes with less prefabrification, to suite my CF and other mods.

jmtdmt
03-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Don't know if you can get it in the UK but I use DAP Weldwood Nonflammable Contact Cement Neoprene Rubber Formula. Comes in a quart can brush it on let it dry till surface is tacky then apply covering. Works great on solite never tried it on solarfilm but it is made by the same company so I would think it should be OK but try it on a test piece first. Used it on three different planes so far no problems. I bought my can at the local hardware store.

semiroundel
03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi all thanks for rapid replies, my local stationers suggested a photo mount adhesive by 3M as they can't get super 77, does this work as well? (assuming it's foam friendly of course).
BillG, I will post some pics of construction as far as I've got, once I figure out how to download them, just bought new dig cam.
I will say this though, in the instructions it mentions checking decalage (must be 0/0) and bloody glad I did as the tailplane seating was way out of line, would have had a negative angle of attack if left to guesswork, but I guess that EPP is not exactly easy to accurately cut.
I bought recently a semi-profile P51 warbird from Robotbirds website and is a delight to fly on 730mahr 2 cell pack and cdrom motor, this staudacher, on the other hand, is a similar size (only slightly bigger) will have speed 400 and 2 cell 2000mahr pack so wing loading will be about 2to3 times P51, anyone care to guess how that will fly?
Did I hear someone mention housebrick?
Anyone build one? Please don't be afraid to negate my negative thoughts on its flying abilities.
Jules.

Oatmeal
03-05-2006, 12:29 AM
I have to ask, since I have not used spray adhesive to apply covering to foam, can the covering still be shrunk enough to take any wrinkles out? I covered a Formosa the old fashioned way with OK results, but this sounds like the way to go by all means...maybe.
Bob

Rugar
03-05-2006, 06:58 AM
The last time I recovered my EPP wing, I used the spray adhesive from Napa Auto Parts with their brand name on it. Worked great and did no damage to the EPP. I have no idea if Napa sells anything in the UK though.

semiroundel
03-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Oatmeal Bob, the adhesive should be enough to glue film, but not too tight so as not to allow shrinkage and get wrinkles out, as I understand it.
Bill G, here are some pics along the way, you can see why I want to cover it.
BTW, I just did a test with BALSALOC available here in UK, (descrbed as a plastic emulsion) used mainly for lighter films (material type) but it did mention to glue film to foam as well as balsa, and specifically mentioned solartex, so.... on a scrap peice of EPP I painted it on, let it dry and ironed on some solartex (mid heat on iron) and VOILA! it worked.
Surface was a little like the surface of foam, haven't tried to shrink it yet, but it glued like s**t to a blanket as we say here in the UK.
I'll let you all know how it shrinks later.
Cheers, Jules.

Bill G
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
I see you're moving right along there. I just bought a digi-cam myself a few weeks back. Sure beats the heck out of scanning instant Polaroids, and is cheaper. Sure is nice to snap a pic, download it, edit it, save it, and post it, all in a 5 minute period or less.
On the subject of iron-ons, I've had good success with the light weight coverings used on foam, where they apply at temps that are low enough as to not hurt the foam. Econokote is reasonably light and applies/shrinks well at low temps. Coverite is obviously not as heavy or strong, but will apply and shrink at very low temps. Balsa sheeted and iron-on covered foam is my favorite building method now. Just keeps getting better and better, with each build.