PDA

View Full Version : Sailplane wing snapped like a twig..

Stig atle steffensen
03-04-2006, 04:41 PM
So.. i was out flying today, with my 2m electric sailplane.
i've had two flights today, all went well, untill i had the last one,
i was up as high as never before, and kept the plane up for a long time, then i was going in for a landing,
made the plane go downwards towards me, and i dived pretty hard, picked up speed, but did not see how much speed,
because the nose was pointing directly towards me, so i pulled the plane a bit upwards,
then i heard "SNAP", and the it just fell towards the ground, from about 40 meters, and it hit the ground, but there's snow, so the only thing that broke was the wing.. But still, it was kinda sad..

nick.wright
03-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Any plans to rebuild???

Stig atle steffensen
03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
oh, i forgot to mention, i had to buy a new wing abviously.. so no rebuild.
only thing that sucks is that i had to pay for a whole 3-part wing, and not the one part alone..

panzerd18
03-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Looks like it couldn't take the load and broke?

What type of glue did you join it with?

rocket_jim
03-23-2006, 11:54 AM
The lunch time combat guys around here would just tape it back together with 2-D strapping tape and an odd stick or two they found on the ground and put it right back into the air!

Seriously, sorry of your breakage.

Stig atle steffensen
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
what i joined it with? it was pre-made, it could not cope with the speed\pull-up.

but i'm just happy that all of the rest of the plane survived ;)

TLyttle
03-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Been there etc. I found that the best way out of an overspeed is to add up trim, one click at a time until it pulls out... gently. The input from the stick is too coarse, and everything takes a beating.

Works for me.

panzerd18
03-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Was it a clean break at the join?

If it was you could probably re glue it with slow set epoxy. Carbon fibre rods are cheap, I wonder what mod you could do to strengthen the wing?

Stig atle steffensen
03-26-2006, 07:47 PM
it was not clean, there where also peices i could not find..