PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Skyshark Elecrtic conversion..

gbruce
03-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi

I am in the process of gathering info before I start on my Skyshark SKYRAIDER, and thought that I'd start a thread so you can follow along or add to the process as you see fit;)

I haven't built a kit for a while as I usually find most kits too far off for my scale sensibilities:rolleyes: but , When I saw this one on the Skyshark website and looked at the kit in person at my local Hobby store, my mind was made up...it is very nice and could easily be built into a scale competitor...my first attempt BTW:eek: :)

I usually scratch build, so this should be a pleasant change...

I ordered a VarioPROP 4 blade 12C hub and 4 scale blades,15" diameter!...the blade shape is a little off for a SPAD,but I don't want to fiddle with them as they are OH SO NICE!! perfect shape for any German fighter...hint, hint, guys with SKYSHARK 109's and 190's.

If Vario ever did another prop. shape, I'd hope it would be a square tip like the P-51,etc that would sell a lot.

Bruce:)

BTW does anyone out there in PLASTIC MODEL CYBERSPACE have copy of the Japanese model book MARU MECHANIC of the Skyraider. They are one of the best reference sources out there, but I think that they are out of print. I'm looking for cockpit pictures/drawings.

Here' a picture of just another reason why I've been into electrics for over 10 years, scale prop diameter and # of blades!! SWEET!!

Sky Sharkster
03-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Hello Bruce, thanks for posting the info on the "Skyraider". Looks like it will be a great model, especially with the scale-type prop and variable pitch function. Just like the real one!
Your post also made me realize I hadn't included Skysharkrc in the "Links". Considering my "Pen" name, this is a major omission! Here goes;
http://www.skysharkrc.com Is a supplier of large-scale WWII kits. They range from 1/7th to 1/10 scale and are about 60" wingspan, 5-8 lbs RTF and call for .45 to .75 cu. in. glow motors. These are not ARF's, they are "builders" kits, balsa and ply construction. Prices are $ 170.00 to $190.00 for a "full" kit. They have recently announced "short" kits for the A-1 Skyraider, F6F Hellcat, SBD Dauntless, Tempest, Aichi Val, JU-87B Stuka, TBM Avenger, ME-109G, ME-109E, FW 190D-9, FW 190A-8. Short kits are $139.99.
If you like bigger Warbirds, give these a look!
Ron

ENUT
03-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Ron, "Do the plans show flaps for the A-1?" thanxs,
ENUT

Sky Sharkster
03-09-2006, 03:34 AM
To ENUT, on the flaps for the A-1 Skyraider, apparently not. I downloaded the instruction manual (long download w/adobe) and a couple of pages down it says " Flaps on an airplane this size add complexity and weight that is not offset by better performance. For this reason flaps are not shown as a building option. If you wish to add flaps, you're on your own!"
Don't know if I agree with that but it wouldn't be impossible to do it anyway. The manual has photos of the wing build and maybe you could figure from that how it could be done.
http://www.skysharkrc.com/PDF/Skyraider.pdf
Good Luck!
Ron

ENUT
03-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Ron thanxs for the time of posting the pdf link.Looking at the pictures it also seems they took some liberty's with the size of the ailerons:rolleyes: .I'll have to do more research......
ENUT

gbruce
03-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Hi All

I finally picked up the Robart 615 retracts for the Skyraider, now I am looking to buy the tail retract for it.

I've settled on the color scheme, now all that's left is to... finish the Bathroom...;)

Bruce

mludwin
03-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey Bruce,

Just started a Skyshark ME109G, going electric. Mike over at Skyshark cut a very nice deal on the motor, ESC and batteries. Axi 4130/20 Jeti 77 and 2 - 4S1P 400mAh packs to make 1 - 8S2P. Mike also made me a custom motor mount box, should drop right in.

I almost went with the Raider, can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Marty

gbruce
03-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi Marty

The 109 was my second choice...so I will do one on those sooner or later:)

Mind you ,STUMAX aircraft in Australia does a real nice composite 109 that I have had my eye on as well.

Skyraider is like a big trainer, so for me it is the perfect model for a 1st scale job.

Are you going to do a build thread?

Bruce

mludwin
03-30-2006, 02:41 AM
The 109 also will be my first scale build. I am planning to do a thread, but a little later in the project, like when it comes time for details.

There are some great SkyShark threads at http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/ but I plan on doing the electric part of things here. Right now I'm converting an old Super Sporster 60 to EP to get some practice with electric in .60 size kits before I even try to put the 109 in the air. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4044033/anchors_4044033/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4044033

thunder1
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Bruce, any progress on the Skyraider?

Marty, I finished my electric Me-109G a few weeks ago. I had a disasterous maiden but I've since rebuilt and it flys great now. I was way noseheavy with the E-Flight Power 60 and 6s2p TP 2100 ProLites. With 8s2p and the AXI you might be a little heavier in the nose.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477704

Mark

Twmaster
07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Bruce (and Mark) How is the quality of the kit? I was just looking at the Sandy on the Skyshark web site and it is calling me! (Although I have about 482 projects ahead if it in line) :rolleyes: