Assan GA-410 Tail lock Gyro
Turnigy E500
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
HXT 900 Servos
CopterX Metal main blade rotor
CopterX Metal tail rotor
Generic Tail drive gear
11T pinion

I hope to start building soon. I would have considered the CopterX instead but I heard about it after I had ordered the HK 450.

jkaven
10-04-2009, 02:14 AM
I completely disassembled the frame to install both the servos and the new rear tail drive gear. You don't have to disassemble the frame to get the servos in but since I was replacing the problematic tail drive, I took the whole thing apart. At this point I realized I should drop $14 for some good Hex Drivers at helidirect. I got the tools within a few days.

The HK450 comes with small plastic parts for your servo screws to screw into. I used thin CA to hold the plastic parts onto the servo while I screwed the servo in.

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/data/586/medium/image001.jpg

pvtzemerak
10-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Ive always been intrested in the HK 450 as my first heli.
I hear the quality of the Screws that it comes with is terrible.
But for a few bucks, I could easily replace them with a T-rex 450 screw kit.
I also heard that people were having problems with the taail wich i might replace with align parts.
Anyway,
Seems pretty cool. And i like it because you could easily set it up for $150 without a Rx
--PvT

flypaper 2
10-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Heli works great right out of the box. Been flying mine for about a yr. now. Bought some metal part and never used most of them. They had trouble with screws quite a while ago but are fine now. One tough little helie.

jkaven
11-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Ive always been intrested in the HK 450 as my first heli.
I hear the quality of the Screws that it comes with is terrible.
But for a few bucks, I could easily replace them with a T-rex 450 screw kit.
I also heard that people were having problems with the taail wich i might replace with align parts.
Anyway,
Seems pretty cool. And i like it because you could easily set it up for $150 without a Rx
--PvT

If you get the Hex drivers from Helidirect you will have no problem with the screws. The hex drivers make a big difference. You can get a cheap replacement part for the tail gear off E-bay or from Helidirect.

Insomniac
11-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Sorry, wrong thread. If any mods see this post, delete it please.

projecthog
11-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Kinda good timing to see this post here jkav,

I just ordered a 6 pack of the HK450's, and some other gear to go with them.
It's back ordered, but that doesn't bother me much, I am spiffying up the old concept 60 for an easy "wanna fly" fix.
I'm no expert by any means but I had the opportunity to watch Colin Bell up close, and so my blood's boiling again, hence the sixpack.
I guess I'll be frequenting the forum again for a while so I can soak up the different ways people build and fix things, hope you get yours going soon, can't wait to get mine home.
I'll start posting again when I receive the 450's.
Good luck and take care,
PH.

CBAME
12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I just ordered 2 of these, one will be a parts bird, well maybe.

Does anyone know where i can get TREX 450 part numbers and a drawing so i will know what part to order when i upgrade

newjak
12-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I just ordered 2 of these, one will be a parts bird, well maybe.

Does anyone know where i can get TREX 450 part numbers and a drawing so i will know what part to order when i upgrade

Look here: http://www.align.com.tw

CBAME
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I'm searching it now
In the end i will probably end up buy a real T-Rex just a matter of money

I never knew Align made Vacuum cleaners too, i guess you do learn something every day

I cant wait for my Box to get here, I hope it arrives before or during my Holiday time off, to keep my busy

icantfly
12-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Cant wait ,ordered the align tail drive so cant wait for santas to arrive .

jkaven
12-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I installed the head, the boom and the tail rotor. I also mounted the Assan GA-410. With the new Hobby King 401B out I've decided to go ahead and replace the GA-410. I also cut off the plastic hole on the white horizontal stabilizer. I did this because it was interfering with the movement of the servo rod.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10113

I also ordered Mavrikk Ball Link pliers from Heli Pros to make my life easier. My problem now is mounting the balls onto the HXT900 servo arms. The HK450 kit came with balls and screws but not any nuts to hold the screws to the servo arm. I guess this is something I have to buy separately?

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/data/586/thumbs/image002.jpg (http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6262)

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/data/586/thumbs/image0011.jpg (http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6261)

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/data/586/thumbs/image003.jpg (http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6263)

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 06:02 AM
My friend and I just built HK-450 heli's. Identical motors, esc, transmitters, receivers, and gyro. Using the tail rotor control, mine will turn left or right with no gyro yet installed. Not lifting it off the ground as neither one of us knows how to fly them yet we just take it to near lift off and have tested the controls. His continually spins opposite main blade rotation with or without a gyro connected. The tail rotor at max throw will just barely stop the spin and it will not turn the opposite direction. We have compared them and can see no visable difference in control throws, etc. We even checked main blade to tail rotor blade rotation and both are the same. No belt slippage is evident. Now, neithor one of us knows how to properly set main blade pitch so that could be a difference in the two of them but could that be the culprit? We have more reading to go before attempting to set blade pitch as we just haven't spent the time understanding it as of yet. All rotors are installed properly and rotate the correct direction. The two known differences is that we each used different matched collective servos and mine has the metal tail rotor drive gear installed. They are identical other than that. Well we did paint the canopies differently. Does anyone have an idea what to do next? Any help would be appreciated as we are totally baffled. There are no heli flyers within about 60 miles that we can find as of yet so we can't just go show someone. I know there has to be someone close by, we just haven't found them yet.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Ok so I get this nice box with 6 heli's (HK 450's) from HK, but there are no manuals or instructions.
I am sure I'll be able to assemble the critters, but would rather have a manual to use.
Can anyone direct me to an online one?
That's the easy way out, I can scan for it myself too and I am not in a hurry either, but participaction is always a nice thing and makes that friendship bonding club thing happen.
Soon to be laid off and have more time to be here.
Take care guys, John.

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 03:38 PM
This is an Align TRex 450. On their website is the instructions I just do not have their website address handy. I also have it in pdf form on my computer and can send it to an email address.

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=43239

HK 450 (TRex 450 manuals)

projecthog
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Email is johannessmith@sympatico.ca

Pdf files are fine Stan, I am thankful for your reply and so fast too!

I had a quick look at the assemblies and everything looks ok.
For the price, I think I am going to have a lot of fun tinkering this season :D
I sure hope this thread becomes the home of the HK450 builds (duh..:silly: it already is!)
Makes life simpler to know where to look for info and cameraderie.

I again do thank you for the reply, have a nice day, take care, John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for this link too Stan, J.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I call you Stan and I don't know how I arrived at that?? Weird.
If I can't be confused, I wouldn't have any fun at all!

Take care J.

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=19
HK 450 build forum on Hobby Kings web site.

And yes, the Stan was interesting. You should have the Trex-450 manual by now as it shows sent on my end. Recommendation. Get a set of socket drivers from Hobby Lobby as they fit the screws very snugly. Using a Ball Head driver will ruin the screw head almost instantly. Using good quality socket head wrenches is not much better and you will waste a few screws.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I have lots of good tools, but thanks for the suggestion, I've been at it in fixed wing since the late 60's off and on, and just got re-interested in the heli's although I have virtually no time in on them.
I had my old 60 concept buzzing around last year, and now I have a buddy who together with me and a few others are exploring the small heli phenomena.
Lots of fun sofar, and lots of wrecked spare parts too.
This HK450 is the first real attempt to build something a little more reliable and better quality...up from the Hummingbirds and generic (supposedly 3D) cheapo budget killers.
Time to get serious because the skills are developing and the interest is going up exponentially too.

Take care John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Jcaven,
Nice to see you progress a bit
I have just received my own 450's and will start on them soon.
Thanks for posting those pics.
My camera was nabbed out of the big truck a month ago, and I haven't gotten another one yet.
When I do I will start playing with that for posting my progress here too.
Keep it coming.
John.

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
read the HK-450 pages at Hobby King. The tail rotor small plastic drive gear will fail. It needs replacing before you fly the HK-450. There are URL's posted as to where to buy them. Lots of other good info there too.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Colt 187355,

I had about 5 different forums on the go, and I am now back to just this one. hence the confusion with the names. (getting too old for multi tasking :D)

How about I leave it at Colt for now?, I am not even sure if you would like your name out on here, I apologise.

Thanks for your interest in my questions.
Your problem with the tail rotor control intreagues me, it seems that the only way I can interpret your description is that the ratio fo the main gear versus the tail gear is somehow different than the other heli you spoke of.
That doesn't mean it has to be that way, but you had said that you've checked the action and the similairity to the other machine closely, so that's my only suggestion.
hope that helps.
John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 04:52 PM
read the HK-450 pages at Hobby King. The tail rotor small plastic drive gear will fail. It needs replacing before you fly the HK-450. There are URL's posted as to where to buy them. Lots of other good info there too.

When I ordered the 6 pack, I also wanted to order a tail ass'y but waited!
Should have done so it seems.

Take care, John.

flypaper 2
12-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I believe Colt is talking about the front tail drive gear that meshes with the gear just under the main drive gear. Thay did have trouble with the gear coming loose on the shaft early on, but since has been modified with splines. I'm still flying with the original plastic rear gear box. I bought the aluminum one just in case, but will keep driving it till I blow the rear tranny:D The alum. one would probably be better if your into 3D stuff.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I believe Colt is talking about the front tail drive gear that meshes with the gear just under the main drive gear. Thay did have trouble with the gear coming loose on the shaft early on, but since has been modified with splines. I'm still flying with the original plastic rear gear box. I bought the aluminum one just in case, but will keep driving it till I blow the rear tranny:D The alum. one would probably be better if your into 3D stuff.

Ok thanks flypaper,
I'll check it out and see what's up with it.

Now that I have the heli unpacked to check out what I am reading, I may as well spend some time at it.

Build V1 has just started:D

Thanks for the hint, John.

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Flypaper has called out the correct gear. It is the one burried in the frame of the copter and darn hard to get to when the servo is installed. Per the HK threads it is no longer slipping as was the original problem, it just breaks now.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Flypaper has called out the correct gear. It is the one burried in the frame of the copter and darn hard to get to when the servo is installed. Per the HK threads it is no longer slipping as was the original problem, it just breaks now.

Oh well,
Can't win all the time, mine has the splines on the small top gear there so slippage should not be a problem. (They could at least have made the cheap white nylon (but not) look better with a flat black look.
That particular gear set looks like a 3 minute affair, just enough to get you up and get you down, and hooked.

I will build the first version much according to instructions, I will order replacements and stuff as I learn from this first build, that way I should end up with a reasonable second machine as I proceed to destroy the first one.:D
That whole gear ass'y really does looks cheap, and made me have another look at the "variations" comment on the bills that came with the box and parts I ordered. (I have just only started with Hobby King recently.)
The TP 450 2415-03T brushless motor looks good, but is not what the picture said I was going to get if I remember correctly. (variations?:D)
I also found the skid gear and the mounting plate to be cheap, but that's why we can play for less and ask for more. certainly nothing to raise a fuss over.

I am impressed with HK for prompt communication, shipping, language control :D and good prices.
The range they offer has just about all angles covered, from cheap and many, to good quality and costly.
These helis have good potential in my opinion.
Well see.
Now I have to go look for a decent replacement camera, so I can post.
Take care, John.

flypaper 2
12-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm still running the same tail drive gear from a year ago with no problems John. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough. Poor thing was lost in the woods last year when lost orientation when it got to far away. Found about a week later. Charged the dead batt and flew it. Needed some work to tune it up but it's still flying great. Something you might want to look into. Align Trex 450 has a heavy duty main gear made of Delrin plastic and a blue colour, much stronger than the stock white Trex gear. Gears can still be stripped but you have to really work at it :D

projecthog
12-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm still running the same tail drive gear from a year ago with no problems John. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough. Poor thing was lost in the woods last year when lost orientation when it got to far away. Found about a week later. Charged the dead batt and flew it. Needed some work to tune it up but it's still flying great. Something you might want to look into. Align Trex 450 has a heavy duty main gear made of Delrin plastic and a blue colour, much stronger than the stock white Trex gear. Gears can still be stripped but you have to really work at it :D

Flypaper,
Thanks for the reply and advice.
I am just going to build the first one with what came with it, that will give me a good chance to see what's good and what's not.
When I saw that HK sold a 6 pack of them, I lit up like fireworks in the dark for joy, it is a good way to have a little more confidence and you can be a little more bold when you do risky things.
Certainly, to crash and burn six helis into oblivion is going take at least a week or so. :D Enough time to learn some things lol.
With what I know sofar I should get some pretty good use out of this set and learn some things.
Can't wait to try out a new category of beancutters I've never had before, they look like the right size for what I want to do.
I can fly in a gym from time to time, so this comes at a good time for me to have the fun I crave.
Just about everything else I have is too big for that, and I only have a few things with wings on them that are small enough to do circles with in a gym.
I'm building an ultra light 3d foamy at the same time and I have a "vapor", so I can use that too, but helis are loads more fun if they stay in one place long enough to get some hands on time.
Have you had any major problems with yours since you've had it?
Not counting the loss for a time..., that was not due to any mechanical errors as I understand it right?
Any way, Thanks for that tidbit, Take care, John.

jkaven
12-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I didn't want to take any chances with the gear so I bought a metal gear here for $5. It was shipped fast.

http://stores.ebay.com/jimmy-wangs-dragon-rcshop__W0QQ_fsubZ1047558015

projecthog
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I think maybe I could be drifting too much from Jcaven's "build" thread.
I have or had no intention to do that, but you know...you get carried away easy enough.
If that is offensive Jcaven, I apologize, and will start another thread. If it doesn't matter I'll try to stick closer to your intended thread.
Thanks. John.

jkaven
12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I think maybe I could be drifting too much from Jcaven's "build" thread.
I have or had no intention to do that, but you know...you get carried away easy enough.
If that is offensive Jcaven, I apologize, and will start another thread. If it doesn't matter I'll try to stick closer to your intended thread.
Thanks. John.

No problems here... it's a good discussion.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't want to take any chances with the gear so I bought a metal gear here for $5. It was shipped fast.

http://stores.ebay.com/jimmy-wangs-dragon-rcshop__W0QQ_fsubZ1047558015

Jcaven,
I looked at some of those sites and am still trying to find one that aparently has aluminum units that are finished clear (bare aluminum look.)

I sure would like to find where they are hiding, as I love the look of that.
The second build would get as much of that on it as I could manage just for pleasure alone.
Wheater it is going to make a difference or not, who knows?
How's your build going?
I'll check that link out in a minute, THX.
Take care, John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 08:09 PM
No problems here... it's a good discussion.

Cool....Man after my own heart!
Like your av by the way, its me all over, redneck conspiracy theorist survival nut. (Just kidding!, don't shoot!)
Thanks for the ok, John.

flypaper 2
12-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Jkaven: You've probably got the ball links on the servo arms already but I drilled the hole out to 1/16 in. then forced the screws in to cut their own thread. If it doesn't want to start, ream a bit of a taper with a#11 exacto blade. They won't come out. No nuts needed, like me. :D

Gord.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Its what I do also,

On the '60 I backed up with nuts, just to make me feel more secure, but if you do it like Gord says, it will be as strong as it needs to be.
My habit is to check things from time to time to make sure everything is still rasonably attached, and I've never had anything come loose with that method.
Just make sure you don't drill too big for a starter hole
I start mine with a micro phillips driver and that seems to work good.
John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, is there an easy way to refresh the page so I don't have to go to the top to receive new posts?
Thx, John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Jcaven,

That's a pretty complete site for your needs if you want metal parts.
Thanks for the link, there are a few parts there that fit my demanding requirements (:rolleyes:), but I am still looking for the site that has the parts that look like clear metal, no colored finish I mean.
Take care, John.

Colt187355
12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Darn, this is turning into a very interesting discussion. Now I too know where to get good replacement parts. Oh, btw, on the HK forum there is some good suggestions for the first three builds. Build one starting out with some inexpensive stuff and as the recommended builds go from first to third some of the hardware gets changed out. I more or less followed the first suggested build out and only replaced the drive gear to the tail rotor. Not that I really have any idea what is right as I still can't make it fly. To that there are some people on here that really know what is correct. I defer to them for honest been there done that experience. I could however tip the heli over if I didn't have arrow shafts tied to its landing skids. It has been a heck of a lot of fun playing with it so far and maybe one of these days airborne it will go.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Darn, this is turning into a very interesting discussion. Now I too know where to get good replacement parts. Oh, btw, on the HK forum there is some good suggestions for the first three builds. Build one starting out with some inexpensive stuff and as the recommended builds go from first to third some of the hardware gets changed out. I more or less followed the first suggested build out and only replaced the drive gear to the tail rotor. Not that I really have any idea what is right as I still can't make it fly. To that there are some people on here that really know what is correct. I defer to them for honest been there done that experience. I could however tip the heli over if I didn't have arrow shafts tied to its landing skids. It has been a heck of a lot of fun playing with it so far and maybe one of these days airborne it will go.

Oh don't worry you'll look back at today's posts a year from now and wonder why you lost the house and wife, but you'll be flying! I sold mine to afford more parts! (not the house.)
I just saw something on that jimmy wang site that turned my rotor!
A swashplate leveller!
That's next on the list and I have to admit I never knew they excisted.
I did everything by trial and error sofar, and learned volumes!:D
besides, you are already a veteran anyway. Any one that lasts longer then a few weeks is experienced!;)
John.

projecthog
12-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I just got my moving out papers for tomorrow, gotta do one more load before I get the boot for a few months (if at all), I have to be up at 430 Am, so now I have the dinnertable full of 450 parts and I can't play with them.
I was going to have most of the mainframe done by tonight.
Oh well, I should be back by thursday next week, so I guess I''l be back.
See y'all later, take care, John.

Colt187355
12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Ok, note on the first post the blade pitch gage? Well, I bought one too. The only problem is it took me forever to figure out how to use it. I finally found some suggestions on one of the forums. I set the swash plate sort of level. Wearing progressive lens eye glasses there is no such thing as a straight line. Well anyway one blade was +5 at 0 throttle to >+20 at full throttle. The other blade was about +2 to +15 or so. I reset them to 0 at 0 throttle and adjusted the pitch in the transmitter to go to about +9 at full throttle. This seems to be sort of a beginners starting point recommendation. If anyone has a better suggestion for a beginner blade pitch setting, bring it on. Next it is about time to spin the motor and watch blade tracking. Well, I marked a blade and discovered they were swinging about 1" apart. Changed the pitch slightly on the high balde and ran it again. Almost perfect blade tracking and the heli stopped most of the bouncing around it was doing.

Now for a general question. I see the Great Planes G-5 sims package for about $200. Is this a good simulator for a heli and a reasonable price?

jkaven
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Jkaven: You've probably got the ball links on the servo arms already but I drilled the hole out to 1/16 in. then forced the screws in to cut their own thread. If it doesn't want to start, ream a bit of a taper with a#11 exacto blade. They won't come out. No nuts needed, like me. :D

Gord.

Okay.. that worked. It seems a bit odd but it looks secure. I'm now waiting for a vernier caliper to come in to measure the links. Not that I can take the heli out to the field, too much snow.

flypaper 2
12-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Why not make some redneck snowshoes:D:D

Colt187355
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I looked at multiple forums and discovered that using a dowel to hold the flybar parallel to the boom would allow me to set main blade pitch. It moves quite a bit and needs constant checking. My friend came up with telescoping plastic tubes locked in place with a small bolt. Notches on one end to accomodate the flybar shaft and one on top of the front servo, one on top of the gyro holds the flybar level to the boom. Now you can pick up the heli, spin it around and the flybar is held rather firmly in position making setting the blade pitch rather easy.

I did spin the baldes on my heli today and it was near lift off. I played with the rear rotor letting the heli turn while some of its weight remained on the landing skid.

CBAME
12-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Gents

The box has arrived and I have one bird almost assembled. I have heard many times that a good tail rotor servo is important, What are you guys using? how many teeth are you guys using on the motor pinion?

I'm having fun assembling this its too bad the kit has no instructions, I've decided the first one will be a trial, and the second one will be an upgraded hopfully better one

Colt187355
12-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Look here: http://www.align.com.tw . I am using the 11 tooth motor pinion. But note: Don 't know if that is good as I can't fly the darn thing just yet

flypaper 2
12-21-2009, 11:18 PM
I made a depron flybar holder somewhat the same idea as yours as seen in the pic. The blade pitch gauge I downloaded off the net about a 100 yrs ago.:D Simple but works well.

Colt187355
12-21-2009, 11:34 PM
White stuff and white plastic! OMG! (to the white stuff that is) My friend came up with a similar idea for certain. Yours looks a little simpler to use.

flypaper 2
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
LOL forgot about that. That was taken about 5 yrs ago. Falcon 3D, about a 400 sized heli. That's the Rideau river frozen solid. About a mile across to the other side from my house at this point.

Colt187355
12-22-2009, 01:00 AM
great pitch gage. I may make one as it looks simple and easy to use.

projecthog
12-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Why not make some redneck snowshoes:D:D

That's cool!

Gotta have a sense of humor! lol.

I'm back from North and south Dakota, and duly read the thread, don't know if I can work on anything soon cause I have to do the family thing and visit and stuff, but I can weasle a few things when no one is looking I'm sure :D.
I did the snow ski thing for my (nervously looking around) 80 inch cub, now I have to make floats for it for the spring.
Nice going.
Take care, John.

projecthog
12-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi guys,

Merry Christmas to all of you, and a happy New Year to those who can't be on 'till after that.

I got home from ND late Wednesday, which allowed me to do some seasonal socializing on Thursday during which I had some prep drinks, toasting the layoff to my advantage.
After all the toasts and well wishing I started on the 450 and spent the next hour looking at the construction and difficulty possibilities.

I am thankful for Ray's submitted T-rex build manual link (and his emailed one too) as I feel that there are a few different ways I could have put it together without that. (Thinking of the Wright brother's "rudder in front setup") :D.
So I had a drink toasting his health.

I thought that my versions of the 450 in the bulk pack were different from the T-rex enough to confuse a few things for sure, but it wasn't the booze yet.
The only color that is different from the rest of the kit is the canopy and the main drive and tail rotor gears, they're white, while everything else is black ops colors, and I mean EVERY thing else is black.
Overall though, the manual was a big help in sorting out the nuts and bolts that hold it all together.
The body is partially assembled but the tail ass'y is different in how it mounts and gets secured to the boom, the main gear is already assembled on mine from the bulk pack, (it looked complicated.) So that was time saved.
I still had some quality drink time to get all the screws to match for where they had to be put, but overall it wasn't too bad and I bought the right kind of Tequila. ( It's Metaxa, Ray :ws:.)

I spent about 8 hours having fun with it but am not completely done with it yet. (I saw some parts double by then)

When I got to the skids, I found that these particular ones were a one piece deal that screws to the bottom plate in one piece, and I thought that it was a cheap move on HK's part.
After thinking that over for a bit, (and having another excuse to toast the manual) I concluded that it would probably be better to have the cheapy gear as it will no doubt be one of the things to break after a bit of experimental flying, and will probably save me from busting a better and more costly setup.
I was surprised to see the metal tailboom also, as I thought for sure they would have shipped it with a carbon one. Carbon is cheaper nowadays it seems.

The servos and linkage are a pretty cool setup as far as I can see, it was tricky and took a little time to do but after all was done I think that the setup was well thought out and pretty safe from impact damage. (thinking ahead lol.)

I have a 450-4850KV brushless motor which is a generic from HK and looks good enough to try, although I may be overdoing it with that.
It will definitely be enough for my purpose, the ESC is a Turnigy 30 amper and should carry the strain that will no doubt come from the 1500 3s lipo.
I have only picked this combo as I didn't have the means to properly evaluate that setup, and because some of it already exists in my spares box, so that's why my wild guesses. The electro gear can be used on other things if I picked it wrong, so I didn't worry about it too much. (I am sure it is a mismatch, but It'll get sorted out.)
I have just received my Wattmeter today on saturday (my buddy receives my stuff for me while I am away working) and can now use that to see if I guessed right or wrong.

Where I'm at sofar...,
I have to mount the gyro. I have a few that I can pick from and will experiment starting with the cheapest I have, which is a low end Esky Ek2-0704.
Hopefully it will be up to the task, but I have my doubts, the 401 is probably the best bet. I have never used the Esky and want to know what it'll do.
I have to solder all my deans plugs and mount the works into the heli
and check things out for balance and vibes, and I should be good.
I think setting the mixes is going to be a hoot, as I have very little experience with that.

And then I woke up :D...., Here's to your health and a wonderful christmas experience.
God bless you all,
Take care, John.

icantfly
01-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Well it finally came and yes the fasteners are truley awful,but apart from that im quite pleased trying to put this together on a budget has im fed up of people chatting while i am flying and saying they would love to have a go but its all to expensive. So to those ends using a cheap budget radio, esky giro and digi tail servo,tower pro servos on the cyclic and i will live with the limtations just to prove to myself that our hobby hasnt gone money crazy anyway all assembled so on to the setup.

projecthog
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Done some wheeling and dealing and now have the technology to post pics again.

I'm going to try to upload just one picture of the 450 I completed just a few days ago, all it lacks is the receiver from HK.

Here goes.....,

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/projecthog/Model%20builds/th_IMGP7997-25.jpg (http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/projecthog/Model%20builds/?action=view&current=IMGP7997-25.jpg)

Bingo first time and rolling!
More to come I'm sure, Gotta go celebrate.:D
John.

PaperAirplane
01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Would either the Hk450 or Hk500GT be a good first heli with the recommended parts from HobbyCity, with all of the worthwile mods you guys recommended? Looking to get into helis eventually.

I like reading this thread:-)

PA

sheik480
01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey, what difference does a digital gyro make when used with a HH gyro?

Colt187355
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I bought the 6 pak of HK-450's realizing that the two of us will most likely destroy one or two each of them learning to fly them. PS, I am just beginning to get the simulator heli flying so I really can't comment about them too much. However, if you go to the HK forum http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/forum/ and look upo the HK 450 thread you will find listings of recommendations for your first three heli's. and for the most part I just followed them. Ask Project hog or someone like that about them. They seem to have flown heli's and would be more likely to give you good solid information.

PaperAirplane
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I bought the 6 pak of HK-450's realizing that the two of us will most likely destroy one or two each of them learning to fly them. PS, I am just beginning to get the simulator heli flying so I really can't comment about them too much. However, if you go to the HK forum http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/forum/ and look upo the HK 450 thread you will find listings of recommendations for your first three heli's. and for the most part I just followed them. Ask Project hog or someone like that about them. They seem to have flown heli's and would be more likely to give you good solid information.

Do you have a direct link?

EDIT: found it:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1456&KW=HK450

projecthog
01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Ray's post just reminded me that I never posted a decent ("cheap") effective Flight Sim, which is available on the net for less then 40 bucks.

I am treading on unsure ground here, as I don't know if referrals are allowed, and if not I will find a link to post if that is allowed, and if that's not......I'll take PM's.

The Sim I use is called "Clearview" and Has provided me with a tool that was and continues to be a very handy money saver.

Just punch in that name and look for a download site.

Hope that helps some of you who are experiencing temporary grounding due to wallet content shortages.:D

John.

newjak
01-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I've been lurking on this thread for a while. Here is another sim to check out *and* its free! Get the high-res backgrounds too.
http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSimRC/index.htm

Colt187355
01-11-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought the Clearview sim and an E-Sky control box for about $60 USD total. The E-Sky box is almost identical to my Futaba 6EX and it sits right next to my laptop. I am actually glad I didn't go the route of using my radio via a patch cord as I wouldn't fool around with the sim no where near as much. Oh, heli sims. I spent 2 days tiping the heli with the training skids over before I managed to succesfully get it airborne without it taking off like a rocket. The other thing I accidentally discovered is close to the ground the sim heli skitters all over the place. I am still reacting to where the heli is going more than flying it, but after a week or so, the heli sim has made it past the 6 minute mark and set back on the ground. It is intense flying it. I was beginning to think I could never master getting the sim heli into the air without crashing it. I still crash it some 80% of the time. Getting real close to taking the 450 out for an exciting experience.

sheik480
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Heh, I wonder if the quote 'if you can fly a chinese 250 fp, you can fly anything' quote is true.

jkaven
01-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I got my HK450 done. I got all the links measured out with a caliper and the new gyro installed. Haven't fired it up yet.. got the yearly cold virus and I'm just starting to recover.

icantfly
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
All finished all i need now is for it to stop snowing and the wind to die down and i will maiden her, hovered her indoors so i know the setup is at least in the ballpark.

projecthog
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi Guys,
I am back working, so I am gone most of the time, Still waiting on some parts for the HK450, but it is nearly done.

Take care, John.