PDA

View Full Version : KD shaft reversal

Chappy
09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Can someone tell me if the shaft in a KD 22-20L (M or S) can be reversed? I'm guessing it can but don't want to bugger it up if I can help it. Any word of caution I should know before before I start? I'd appreciate any advice you might give.

pd1
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes you can reverse the shaft on the 22-20L motor.

Small problem though.
The shaft is held in place by a set screw in the front and a circlip in the rear.

I have a few of these motors, and they work well. Out of six none had a groove for the circlip to be used in any other position.

To get the shaft to work in the reversed position, you will need a collar to to hold the shaft in place once it's reversed.
The collar will go in position on the motor where the circlip once was.
You will have the setscrew on one side of the motor, and the collar on the other side of the motor.

Great Planes and DuBro make wheel collars that will fit and work.

If the mount is a behind the firewall type, the motor actually can't separate
without the collar, but I would still add one.

Once the circlip is removed from the shaft, don't re use it. Use the collar to take it's place.
Also be careful of the real small washer that is between the circlip and the bearing. It can get lost easily if you didn't know it was there.
You won't need the washer if you reverse the shaft, but if you go back tho the original configuration you will want it.

It helps to keep the circlip from being grabbed by the bearing and spit off the shaft.

Paul

Correction, two newer ones had multiple grooves for circlip.

Chappy
09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey, thanks Paul, very insiteful. I have a questions though. After the circle clip and screw are removed, is it simply a matter of pressing the shaft forward or does it actually need to be removed and reversed (turned around 180) for the screw to contact a milled 'flat'?

pd1
09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
There is one flat only on the shaft.

I also found it easier to separate the motor halves when changing or moving the shaft.
The magnets make sliding the shaft in or out of both sections at once difficult.

Moving the shaft is easier than it sounds.
I could nave swapped it out faster than I could write this.

Something quite unexpected. The newer 22-20L motors have shafts with the groove for the circlip in two places,
That simplifies things. You can have the circlip on the end, or set back a little for reverse installation.

The shaft is installed with a press fit into the rotating part of the motor.
A drill press works fine for pushing the shaft out of the housing. It doesn't take much force to push the shaft through.

Paul

iflyrc1012
06-13-2010, 01:49 AM
pd1,
is it possible to do the same thing to a turnigy2836-2350 motor? it would simplify the mounting of the motor if it was oriented that way. if not, how would you mount this on a firewall for a tractor type configuration ?

pd1
06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
pd1,
is it possible to do the same thing to a turnigy2836-2350 motor? it would simplify the mounting of the motor if it was oriented that way. if not, how would you mount this on a firewall for a tractor type configuration ?

I've changed a number of shafts on various motors but I have not dealt with the 2836 yet.
I would imaging it is the same as the other motors and a cross mount could be used to mount it to the firewall.

Could you post a picture or link to that motor?

Paul

Chappy
06-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I believe this is the motor Iflyrc is referring; http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7993&Product_Name=Turnigy2836_brushless_Outrunner_2350k v

iflyrc1012
06-13-2010, 10:17 PM
thats the one chappy!!!

iflyrc1012
06-14-2010, 04:03 AM
pd1,
as it turns out 1 of my flyin buds wound up at my house today because it started to rain at the field, i explained what i wanted to do, and in a flash. . . Presto!!! shaft reversed!!!
he did exactly as you outlined with the wheel collar and i'll be darned to heck. . .
the friggin thing works!! thanks for the info. i've been flyin for a long time but exclusively nitro and gas until recently, so motors,e.s.c.'s and b.e.c.'s and all the other stuff with magic smoke inside are still a sort of mystery to me. i just know that
IF YOU LET THE MAGIC SMOKE OUT OF AN E.S.C. OR MOTOR IT DON'T WORK NO MORE!!! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!