PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial Houston Texas RC Club

Cdr. Instigator
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Let's see a show of hands.. I was thinking of joining
The Johnson Space Center Radio Control Club (JSCRC)

But, after talking personally to the clubs treasurer and finding out that you can only fly there after working hours from 5pm and on. I don't think I want to join. It's the cheapest club around me that it's join dues are very cheap, 30 dollars. I found several close to me, but prices start at 100 and go as low as 80 dollars. Too expensive for this cat. Now, 30 dollars sounds great, but flying only after 5 pm is a no, no..

Saturday and Sundays you can fly all day. Electrics welcome and foamies too, which is what I mostly fly. At this point I'm thinking of just getting my AMA lic. and go to Bass Park where an AMA lic. is all you need to fly there. They have a nice big paved landing strip and shaded area.

I have flown mostly out of 10 acres of hey fields near my home and the occasional park, where I have to wait for kids and their soccer teams to be done playing.

Now, I need a steady flying field and Tom Bass Park has the facility and area to fly RC planes from. So, AMA Lic is my next step. Clubs in my area, although cheap.. not my cup of tea at the moment.

I've been calling off getting my AMA Lic. But I live very close to Tom Bass park and I have looked at the Public field they have there. Now, I want to get into the action and not fly Rebel. If all you need to fly at Tom Bass is a AMA Lic. then I'm going to apply today..
Tired of flying by myself in some empty field..

Now, I only fly foamies at the moment and my planes are almost all the time under 2 pounds, Should I get the basic Park Flyer Lic.?

cfunni
10-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey Instigator,
Did you start flying at Tom Bass? I used to fly gas planes at Alvin RC, but gave it up about 5 years ago. Was thinking about getting into small electrics. Tom Bass is about 5 min from the house. I tried it in the past with the gas planes, but back then it was mostly Helos. Let me know if you are flying there.
Craig in SE Houston

CHELLIE
10-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Hi Cdr :) Start you own RC Unclub here on Wattflyers, There seems to be a lot of Nice folks here from the Houston area, You will be Suprised at how fast you can get a club together of some really nice and sharp people, and have a Blast, advertise on the other Rc Forums too, to get your Unclub together, Hope that helps, Chellie

Here are a few Unclub names :)

Houston Rc Shock Flyers
Houston Rc WattFlyers
Houston Rc Electric Flyers
Houston Rc Foamy Flyers
Houston Rc Park Flyers
Be Creative :)

The Park Flier Lic will be fine for now.

Cdr. Instigator
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks CHELLIE..

Craig, yes I have started flying my electrics off of Tom Bass. It's a great place for sure. Now, that I have my AMA Lic. there's no reason I should be flying rebel. Considering that I'm fairly new to the hobby with 11 months under my belt and 8 or 9 profile models.. which have had landing gear on. To me it was a must to start using the facilities at Tom Bass and make the transition to landing on an actual landing strip. The wheels seam to roll better in a solid surface than 5 in tall grass blades.

I have an Ultimate 30" profile I need to maiden soon and it will be at Tom Bass, sometime this week. Maybe Friday will be a perfect day for that. Craig, I too live close to Tom Bass. I say around 8 minutes. Been there several times now and the guys I have met there were kool.. They liked the way I ventured into the hobby, the cheap and almost inexpensive way to fly. They liked the fact that if I crashed, which most certaily will from time to time; it dosen't cost me a preety penny to get back in the air.

Actually, I have 2 airplanes to maiden soon.

The Ultimate 30" progile..
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111657&d=1255919434

And the Prop in the slot Draken..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113351

FIGHTERACE
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
If anyone want's to stop by this Sat. 9/25 I am having a big R/C garage sale with some awesome deals. email me for directions.

Cdr. Instigator
09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Kool.. will pm you for directions to the sale

cfunni
09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Please send me the info about the sale
craig----at-------ace4parts----dot------------ com

cfunni
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
I bet it was a heck of a sale

Cdr. Instigator
09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I didn't make it to the sale.. Got hammered Friday night and stayed up real late like!! :eek:

cfunni
09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I emailed, and posted for the details but never got an answer. I am looking to get back into flying and was hoping to spend some money, Oh well

Cdr. Instigator
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Funni.. Where are you located in Houston?

cfunni
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
South East Houston I45 south and Beltway

Cdr. Instigator
09-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Come on... ! Me too..

Fly much at Tom Bass?

DanWard
11-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm not far from you two. I'm in Deer Park near Pasadena Blvd & Louella

I fly at Bayport near Pasadena Blvd & Underwood