PDA

View Full Version : swap meet zero????

RodneyR
03-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Hey can any one tell me anything about the old EP kyosho zero. I just purchased one today at a swap meet for $25. It seems to have had a on-off motor switch and full controls. Its in great shape and looks really cool. Has a 39-40" span. Was wondering if there is anywhere I could get the specs on this model. I found a thread on another site where it was said that this was one of the first arf electrics way back in the 80's.:cool: I'll have to get the factory external brushed motor and gearbox out to find out what the empty airframe weighs, but I think it would be a good candidate for a good strong brushless. Any thoughts on this, or maybe you've been down this road in the past, and could lend me some experience. I'll try to return it in good shape.:)

Sky Sharkster
03-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Hi Rodney, Welcome to Wattflyer! I remember that "Zero", think it was a geared 480. Kind of a bright green, not the dull shade we see now on most ARFs. If you plan to go brushless most of the outrunners with 20+ oz of thrust should do it. Did it come with electronics? What's the weight?
The "Zero" is a good-flying plane if it's trimmed right but many have a problem with the short nose, getting the C.G. far enough forward. This may be compounded if the model (battery compartment, really) was designed for heavier "conventional" batteries. Be prepared to move everything as far forward as possible. Like most low-wing Warbirds with little dihedral it's not very stable but will do just about any maneuver you can imagine short of 3D.
Good Luck!
Ron

RodneyR
03-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Ron... it looks like the empty airframe weighs about 15oz. That's without any electronics at all, just foam, wood, plastic and a couple servo pushrods. Is that kinda heavy? Even if it is, this looks to be fairly well made and although i'm sure foam has evolved in the last 20 years, feels strong. The motor is a speed 480 ,I think. It' a kyosho "LeMans" 240E external brushed "racing" motor. I counted the teeth on the gears and came up with a ratio of 3.5:1. The prop doesn't have any markings to let me know what the pitch is. Are there any brushless motors the same diameter as a speed 480, that will work with this gearbox? or would it best to go strait drive? I would think, unless the motor really kicks, a plane this weight will need the thrust a gearbox offers. Yes your suspicions were right. the battery area is made for what looks like the huge battery packs I've only seen in rc cars. This thing must've been a brick. The motor and gearbox weighs 5oz. and I have no idea what a battery like that weighs.
So combined with what looks like standard size servo setups...wowzers!
Now I see why electrics are just begining to boom. Hey I appreciate all the help. I'm new to the advanced power systems available now, and most familiar with the gws type stuff that's been around the last few years.
Do you know anything about the motors sold by a company called milehighRC ? Also, what about any combo deals out there? Thanks again.
Rodney

Sky Sharkster
03-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi Rodney, thanks for the info, that gives me a little more to go on. If the airframe weight is 15 oz it's heavier by 3-5 oz than a typical "lightweight" 400 model so my guess is you'll need to go with a 480 replacement size motor. Most 400 Warbirds are flying at between 16-20 oz for aerobatics and a 1:1 power-to-weight ratio. Figure 3 servos (I would go with smaller servos, Hitec 55's or eqiv.) about 1/4 oz each and (say) a 1/2 oz ESC including wires and connectors. Another 1/2 oz for a receiver. That's 1-3/4 oz for electronics, I'm guessing on the high side for weights since nothing ever comes out as light as you think it will! A Thunder Power 2100 mAH 3s with Deans connector weighs 5 oz. If my math is right we're up to 21-3/4 oz without the motor. It's going to break 25 oz easy. More like 27 would be my guess. That's OK, it's a big model and can stand the weight, you just need to match a powerplant to the projected weight.
Right off the top of my head a decent-priced motor with gearbox that has that kind of power (and lots more) is the MP Jet AC 26/45-20 D with 2.8:1 gearbox. Price from Hobby Lobby (including gearbox) $ 68.90. The smaller model AC 25/35-20 Mk 2 is $10.00 cheaper but max thrust is right at 27 oz so it would be working hard all the time. If you want an outrunner you're looking at about a 2800-series AXI, $ 77.00 plus mount, $ 15.00. I love my AXI's but they ain't cheap! I think the bigger MP Jet would be OK on either 2 or 3 cell LiPos but you'd have to match the prop to the volts. 2 cells, bigger prop, 3 cells, smaller prop. Anyway, that's just a couple of ideas, don't be afraid to look online, just remember you're looking for close to 30 oz of thrust. E-Calc or Moto-calc can be a big help here. You will also need a 35-40 amp brushless ESC. The rest is fairly straightforward R/C stuff.
The only MileHiRc I know of is a flying club in Aurora, Colorado. That's East of Denver, we fly NW of town but I've flown with them once and been out to see the glow R/C Combat. It's wild! Don't know of any vendors with that name.
I measured the diameter of a 400, it's 27mm. A 480 is slightly over 29mm, the one I have has the external brushes also. Most of the "spec sheets" for motors list the diameter so maybe you can match that, too.
You can check the specs on E-Flight, Himax, Nippy, Hacker, and lots of others with a few sites like Allerc, Balsaproducts, Hobby-lobby and come up with a good selection. Maybe a few of our members will chip in some advice, I tend to over-power my models, it's like having a "lead-foot" or is it "lead-thumb"?!!
Good Luck, if you have more question, feel free to write!
Ron

RodneyR
03-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Hello again, sorry about reposting this. niether my last post nor your response showed up in "my replies" but I got it now.
Thanks for the info...dang thats a little more than I wanted to spend on it, but i think it's a cool plane since it's rather unique a this point. Not likley to see another at the field where I fly. Hey I undestand about that lead thumb thing. In fact that's what my hopes are for this plane...well now that you mention it..that's my hope for all my planes. Including my 60 size p51 with a magnum 1.08 just about ready to fire up.
I figure..if you gotta add weight..add cubic in. or amps and rpms!!! Try www.milehighrc.com (http://www.milehighrc.com) they have some pretty cool videos and sell brushless motors and controllers etc. Thanks again for the info. I'll get to work and see what I come up with...will keep it posted..maybe some pics of the progress.
ye-haa this is fun!

sandyjain
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey can any one tell me anything about the old EP kyosho zero. I just purchased one today at a swap meet for $25. It seems to have had a on-off motor switch and full controls. Its in great shape and looks really cool. Has a 39-40" span. Was wondering if there is anywhere I could get the specs on this model. I found a thread on another site where it was said that this was one of the first arf electrics way back in the 80's.:cool: I'll have to get the factory external brushed motor and gearbox out to find out what the empty airframe weighs, but I think it would be a good candidate for a good strong brushless. Any thoughts on this, or maybe you've been down this road in the past, and could lend me some experience. I'll try to return it in good shape.:)

Hi Rodney,

I just found a kyosho Zero myself. had got it in 1987 but never flew...returned to the hobby last year and found this baby recently. Am looking at a Brushless/ lipo makeover myself. Any tips/ ideas ?

Regards

Sandy Jain