PDA

View Full Version : Gyro and cold weather?

martin_05
10-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Hitek HG-5000
Temperatures in the low 40's (F, ~16C) today.

I got a lot of tail wiggle. A flight earlier today when it was warmer didn't exhibit this.

It could, of course, be any one of a dozen other things, but I thought I'd make sure and check to see if this gyro has any known low temperature issues.

I am going to go through all the mechanical linkages and servo tonight to see if there's anything obvious.

Thanks,

-Martin

MaxAdventure
10-06-2009, 04:54 AM
I've flown that gyro in the snow, no problems. You do need to be sure the case/gyro temp has acclimated to the temp though, if it's still warm from indoors or the car when it initializes, it will temp correct for it's current temp and then will be off as it cools down. At least that's how I understand it.

martin_05
10-06-2009, 05:06 AM
I've flown that gyro in the snow, no problems. You do need to be sure the case/gyro temp has acclimated to the temp though, if it's still warm from indoors or the car when it initializes, it will temp correct for it's current temp and then will be off as it cools down. At least that's how I understand it.

OK, it might be worth a call/email to Hitek support to clarify that one point about temperature stabilization.

Thanks,

-Martin

martin_05
11-08-2009, 05:24 AM
I owe this thread an update.

I did a complete rebuild of my t-rex 500's tail to a shaft drive and metal components. I just wanted to eliminate the belt drive as a potential constant source of trouble. Still, the tail continued to drift and wiggle around.

After much head scratching I concluded that either the gyro was bad or the internal circuit board or MEMS sensor had to be loose. There was nothing left that could cause the problem I was seeing.

It was the circuit board. It really was very hard to see it move, but it did. I CA'd it to the case with one drop of CA per side and then CA'd the two case halves together. The tail is now rock solid and not drifting or wiggling of any kind can be seen. I'm glad I didn't have to throw money at this --I was a second away from tossing the gyro in the trash and buying something else. Not sure if this is a common mode of failure for thee servos. If it is, Hitec really needs to do something about it as it was extremely frustrating to deal with. Nobody at the field could diagnose it and the standard recommendation was to toss it and go to a JR or Futaba.

-Martin

rrg
02-11-2010, 03:12 AM
The manual on my 401 says you may have issues in temperature change. I flew this gyro outside today (a cold 16) had a blinking light and head lock whould not lock.

Riffster
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Hitek HG-5000
Temperatures in the low 40's (F, ~16C) today.

I got a lot of tail wiggle. A flight earlier today when it was warmer didn't exhibit this.

It could, of course, be any one of a dozen other things, but I thought I'd make sure and check to see if this gyro has any known low temperature issues.

I am going to go through all the mechanical linkages and servo tonight to see if there's anything obvious.

Thanks,

-Martin

Ok i hope this helps you In doing all the stuff we all do i have found that i called the manufatures of many Gyros and they all have told me taking the heli out in cold weather can result i many problems and ytail wagg iwas a huge one. In initializing the heli in that cold a weather you have to letthe gyro acclimate to the wheather and it will act better than if yuo bring it out of a warm house and trying to initiate it when its not acclimated .

I have asked for more clarification on this but have gotten the run around or explinations that either are to technical or have to do with manifaturing of the gyro which honestly I knownothig about. I am not a a rocket scientist or a brain surgen so i just took there word for it anf i have to say giving the heli a few minutes to acclimate does work . i hope thishelps you

Good luck let me know if it tames that wagg !

Larry3215
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Ok i hope this helps you In doing all the stuff we all do i have found that i called the manufatures of many Gyros and they all have told me taking the heli out in cold weather can result i many problems and ytail wagg iwas a huge one. In initializing the heli in that cold a weather you have to letthe gyro acclimate to the wheather and it will act better than if yuo bring it out of a warm house and trying to initiate it when its not acclimated .

I have asked for more clarification on this but have gotten the run around or explinations that either are to technical or have to do with manifaturing of the gyro which honestly I knownothig about. I am not a a rocket scientist or a brain surgen so i just took there word for it anf i have to say giving the heli a few minutes to acclimate does work . i hope thishelps you

Good luck let me know if it tames that wagg !

You might want to get into the habit of reading the entire thread before you post.

He solved his problem back in November - see post #4.

It was a loose circuit board - not temp related :)