PDA

View Full Version : Tail servo?

Larry3215
10-08-2009, 02:48 AM
I'll try another question... whats a good tail servo to use with a GY401 gyro on a 450 sized heli?

Im familiar with the Futaba options but has anyone found any other good choices?

I tempted to try one of the new Hyperion Digitals. Im thinking the DS-12GCP could be a good option. Its fast and has plenty of torque and weighs 17 grams. Ive had good luck with the Hyperion digitals on planes but haven't heard anything about their performance on heli's and as tail servos in particular.

Im going to run HS-65's on the collective because thats what I have on hand.

Larry3215
02-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Just to let you guys know - I did try the Hyperion DS-12GCP on my Dragonus 450 sized heli with a 401. It works great and the price cant be beet.

When I put my Raptor 550 back together I also used a Hyperion digital tail servo on it and its also working perfectly.

The Hyperion digitals seem to be great servos for the money. I now got them in a couple of my planes and Im very happy with the performance so far.

Ribcracker
02-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Larry,
I'm not sure I know why digitals are recommended for tail servos. Sure, they're faster. But would that really matter to someone who flies in "normal" mode?
The reason I say that is because my digital was buzzing and drifting in the tail of my 450 so I replaced it with a plain vanilla HS-55. Guess what! I can't tell any difference. I mean, I'm not sensing any kind of shortcoming.
Would it only be noticeable to the 3D guys?
Bud

EpoweredRc
02-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Just to let you guys know - I did try the Hyperion DS-12GCP on my Dragonus 450 sized heli with a 401. It works great and the price cant be beet.

When I put my Raptor 550 back together I also used a Hyperion digital tail servo on it and its also working perfectly.

The Hyperion digitals seem to be great servos for the money. I now got them in a couple of my planes and Im very happy with the performance so far.
After killing two HS65 servos on my B400 my father gto us both a DS-12GCP to try and I have lots of flights on mine w/o issues seems to work great. glad your injoying yours.

Sorry I never seen this thread to respond to it.

Larry,
I'm not sure I know why digitals are recommended for tail servos. Sure, they're faster. But would that really matter to someone who flies in "normal" mode?
The reason I say that is because my digital was buzzing and drifting in the tail of my 450 so I replaced it with a plain vanilla HS-55. Guess what! I can't tell any difference. I mean, I'm not sensing any kind of shortcoming.
Bud
what kinda heli are you flying? A HS-55 is barly enough servo for anything more then a Blade CP. the tail is always working rather you know it or not it needs a good servo after killing other tail servos and playing with cheap gryos the gyro and servo on tail are most inportant

Larry3215
02-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Larry,
Bud

Which servo works best will depend on a few things but quality, fast, digitals will always work better than standard servos - if they are faster.

Not all digitals are faster. Some of the cheap ones are very slow and sloppy. No better than standard servos really. Even god digitals come in all sorts of speeds.

To work well with a modern gryo the digital needs to be very fast. .05 seconds or so.

It also depends on which gyro and what the settings are.

You didnt mention which digital servo you had used before or which gyro.

Im also confused about what you mean by "normal mode". Are you talking about having the gyro in RATE mode? Futaba calls rate mode "normal mode" and they call heading hold mode AVCS mode.

Some gyros also have settings to run in digital mode for use with digital servos or non-digital mode for use with normal servos. Using digital mode on a non-digital servo will kill it in short order.

If you ever get a good digital servo working properly with a good gryo - you will see a world of difference in how well the tail holds.

On the other hand - if your just hovering and easy FFF and your current setup is working well enough - then no reason to change :)

Ribcracker
02-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Foamie,
My heli is the EXI 450 T-Rex clone. I appreciate what you're saying but my machine flies terrific. It's so much better than my Honey Bees. The tail is locked very stable but as I said earlier, I'm not flying 3D. Maybe that would burn it up.
Larry,
Thanks for your input.
I had a $10 EXI D113F servo on the tail and I don't know the speed because it didn't come with any literature.
This was my first CCPM machine so I did everything on the cheap since I figured it would be my sacrificial learning machine. The gyro is a Detrum GY48V which only cost $20 but it holds like the dickens. It has a digital/analog switch, operation direction switch, delay trimmer, limit trimmer, and sensitivity switching.
When I say normal flying mode, I mean I'm not using "idle up". I'm using a pitch curve of -2 deg at closed throttle which gradually increases to 10 deg. at full. In other words, I've got it set up to fly like a fixed pitch heli.
So yeah, I'm just doing figure eights, piros, stall turns, and such. Nose-in hovering has gotten pretty natural for me, prolly from years of landing my planes at my feet.
I'll eventually experiment with idle-up but I'll need to feel a lot more comfortable than I do now.
Peace,
Bud

Larry3215
02-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Sounds like you have no need to up-grade then. Just dont run the gyro in digital mode with a non-digital servo and you should be ok.

anton831
05-11-2011, 01:18 AM
i use a futaba401 and ds520 servo on mines works pretty good

bobby1699
12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I have used a JR ds3500g and for simple setups Hi-tec 65 mg. I have never had any issues with either.