PDA

View Full Version : phoenix controller

willie4
03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I have an e-flite Ulimate with a Castle 25 amp controller, park flyer 370 brushless inrunner, 12x6 prop and e-flite 3cell lipoly pack. When I go to full throttle the motor quits within 3 to 4 seconds. The controller manual indicates motor or low current. Batteries check out normally. How often do these motore puke out? Is this a motor problem?

Twmaster
03-05-2006, 11:35 PM
What size lipos? It may be that your batteries cannot supply enough current either because they are too small or defective.

flypaper 2
03-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Sounds like an awfull big prop for a 370 motor. Does it have a gearbox and if so, what gear ratio.? If the motor draws to many amps, it will cause the speed controller to cut out. What's the MA rating of the batt.

willie4
03-07-2006, 01:34 AM
This plane has been flying just fine until this weekend. The battery is a 3cell lipoly 11.1 volt pack and the prop was not causing problems for many flights. I hadn't flown in 2 months and when I got the plane out the motor problem started. Yes, it has a gearbox. I am not sure of the ratio - I can find out, but it was never a problem before this weekend!

Twmaster
03-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Willie, that would have been good info to provide from the start. So what else may have changed? Did you drop the plane? I killed an outrunner by a hard knock once. Just once. :p

willie4
03-07-2006, 02:22 AM
Mike - Sorry - I thought I had most info in the original note....guess not! The only difference is that the controller was re-worked by the company several flights back. It did work just fine when returned. I did notice that when the motor is powered up that it seems to have vacillation in the speed - no tach. Maybe I do have a fried motor.

flypaper 2
03-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Another thing you might check is the gear mesh. Fellow fliers was shutting off. Found out the gears were so tight, the batt voltage was dropping to shut off. I always take a close look at the gears and see a bit of play between them.

flyranger
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Many flights on a 370 inrunner with gearbox told me to follow mfg directions on gear mesh. Loosen Motor mounting screws on gearbox. Place a piece of paper between the gears mesh. Tighten screws. Roll the prop to remove the paper. You are ready to fly!

willie4
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks - I'll check the mesh tonight!!