PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Super Skybolt

jodell
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Has anyone done a conversion on a Great Planes Super Skybolt? I built one about 10 years ago and never flew it. Now I am totaly into electric fight and would love to get this one flying.

Matt Kirsch
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
That's the plane that always comes out so tail heavy that even though it calls for a .60 2-stroke, most people put a 1.20 4-stroke in the nose.

So's yours ready to fly? What are we looking at for weight? As I recall, Great Planes calls for 8.5-9.5 pounds, but it's really more like 10-12 pounds. To be safe in that case, my way of thinking is ~1500 Watts. Even if it's on the light side, I would still want about ~1200 Watts.

What are we looking at for prop clearance? The plane's pretty squatty, so prop clearance has got to be limited. I would imagine no more than a 15" prop, so we're probably looking at something like a 15x10 3-blade to get 1500 Watts to the air. Wow, this is just like full scale.

bert269
06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
I ordered my kit a few days ago and it arrived last night!...Looking at the box it will probabaly take me also a very good part of a year just to build...

Now have you guys decided about a suitable motor to put in this baby? I do have a spare, unused (never used) AXi 4130/20 motor that I'm planning in using, but this time, even before I start to build the plane, I need to plan around the motor and power system...

Any ideas, or am I kinda stuck till I have the final weight of the plane?

Cosmic
06-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Will keep an eye on this, as I'm thinking the same thing.

If you assume an AUW of 10.5 lbs, you want about 1200W to be comfy, more if you please. I would reckon an 8S system will do the trick nicely, attached to a Hacker A50-16L, 17x8 prop. Circa 1500W.

Matt Kirsch
06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
If you want to keep it "in the family," Great Planes now has a giant outrunner motor that's on sale for $139.99! It's comparable to the AXi 5320-28, or maybe the 5330-18.

They've also ARF'd the Super Skybolt in the classic color scheme from the original kit box. They've also ARF'd the Giant Aeromaster too... Jeez... My poor wallet. :(

bert269
09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Matt

Can you give me more info on this "giant outrunner" from Greatplanes? The only one I see at their website, is the RimFire 22M-1000. Unless I'm looking at the wrong place.

Thanks
Bert

bert269
09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Matt

Ignore the previous message - I got the full page load now. I see the power-house you are talking about...the 63-62-250. Right?

bert269
05-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Ok Guys....I am ALMOST finished with my Skybolt (I would not say that I am very proud that it took me soo long to complete....but it least I did not give up on it halfway.....or closer to the end when you get more and more tired with the project!) I started in July 2006.....and everything is covered. All that is left to do is painting the nose-cowl and wheel pants. Everything else is good to go.
I even had the E-Metter on the motor (not shows in the pictures, since they were taken when I was still covering the plane) but I got around 1.3Kw out of the setup. The total weight, including 8000mah Lipos was around 11lbs......now that does not give me much more than 100W/lb, but I guess it will be good enough to get it in the air for a while....

I will probably take more pictures this weekend, since I hope to finish the painting jobs this weekend and mount all the hardware....I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks
Bert

Biplane Murphy
06-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Hi bert269....
I recently finished a skybolt kit. Built it slowly over 14 months. Balanced perfectly with an O.S. pumped 120 4-stroke(35 oz)
With smoke sustem it weighs about 10 3/4 lbs.
Flies great but a little more power would be nice.
Very curious to hear about an electric conversion.
I imagine you will put lots of heavy batts. in the nose.

Chris

Biplane Murphy
06-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Oh yea........
Running a 16X6 prop with no clearance issues.
However I am also using 5" gopher crushing monster wheels with no wheel pants.

Chris

bert269
06-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey Chris

What a nice plane you have there?...Yes, I do have a couple of cells in the nose and it balance perfectly too. I have 3 X 3s 8000mah cells in there, in series. My access point (as you can see on the photo's), are behind the nose cowl, under the top wing. I created a springed latch to keep it in place.

I have not flown it yet....I am still a 'newbie' to flying (just over a year's flying) and are still playing around with a trainer (Tower Hobbies 40) and a Hangar9 Mustang PTS (not a trainer at all!! - on the bench right now)....All E-conversions. I also fly a Eflite Mini Pulse without any problems.....

So, before I take the Skybolt to the skies, I want to make sure that I can fly decent and land perfect. The flying is easy, the landings not always perfect - don't know if that will ever be possible...LOL
I would be very displeased with myself if I crash the Skybolt or land it too hard.

How does the plane fly for you? How does it handle, easy to fly or hard? I have been training on the G3(.5) sim with the skybolt now for a couple of months and the flying is perfect on there. Do you know how the sim compares to the real plane - although I guess every plane is unique also, right?

I am going to try and fly it with the wheel pants on, but I just know they will came off, because both the fields where I can fly has grass and I know that they will not last very long - especially with a plane of that weight.

If you need to know more about my setup, feel free to ask. I cannot remember what is the total flying weight at this stage, I will keep you posted as soon as I get my ESC back and everything installed.

Take care and thanks for the feedback - I will keep you posted. I am just waiting for the ESC from the vendor (mine had a glitch, it did not want to initialize) - then I will get the throws and everything setup.

Thanks
Bert

Biplane Murphy
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi bert....
I set mine up with 4 ailerons on 2 servos. Wish i had used 4 servos.
It flies like the simulator for the most part.
I increased the aileron throws to as much as possible.
The Interaileron linkages only let them travel a certain amount.
Lands really smooth into the wind, I thought it might be a flying brick but it does land well. Be careful to land smooth as it weighs a lot and if you drop it in to rough it will splay the aluminum a bit.(easy to bend back)
It does nice loops and fairly nice rolls(tad slow for my personal taste) A bit of rudder speeds things up.
Snap rolls are nice. Only tried a flat spin once so far, it was O.K.
I think I might switch to a 15x8 prop to increase speed. That might help increase roll rate.
When I maidened it, she flew sooooo straight. one click up trim, and one click right aileron.
I fly at a club field. Grass with millions of gopher holes, so I left the wheel pants in the box and put Huge wheels on her instead. (helps tremendously)
Balanced right on reccommended C.G. It flies really well. However she definately is not a 3-D plane.

I am fairly new to the hobby as well.(18 months)
But I have built 6 kits and 15 arfs.
4 kits and 4 arfs currently still fly. Sold one plane.
Turned 11 into accordions etc...
Fly about 10 times a day twice a week.
Now most of the Older guys think I have had more air time than them.

As far as your plane goes..........Ditch the wheel pants, Grass and wheel Leiderhosen don't go well together.
What is your setup for ailerons 2 or 4????
I use the recommended high rates on elevator.
As much aileron as possible.
As much Rudder as possible.
She really does fly well....very stable...also does very well in windy conditions due to all that weight!!
So when you maiden her just relax take-off and put around getting used to her. Land into the wind with a little throttle. If you try to glide in with no throttle the wings will stall quickly!!! However stall recovery is easy, just point the nose down and it will gain speed.

Any questions just ask...I like to help, share, recieve and give advise.

Also post as many details on your setup as u can.

Fellow Skybolt pilot.......Chris

Oh yea.......Currently I fly 3 small electric bipes. 2 glow bipes and 3 glow single wing planes.

Biplane Murphy
06-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Oh yea.........!2 accordions, not 11.

Biplane Murphy
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
One more thing........If you regularly fly it on the G3.5 sim you should do well. I too use that sim regularly. It really helps for learning new aerobatics (no risk to your planes)
When I started using the sim my kill rate whent down to just about zero!!

Happy flyin'......... Chris

bert269
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Chris....
Thanks for all the information. I REALLY appreciate the effort you have with the knowledge sharing - this is fun!

I currently have only two servos for my ailerons. Cannot remember the model number, but they are standard and digital Futaba's. I have build CF rods for the linkages between the top and bottom, instead of the stock wire. I can see that the top Aileron does not move as far as the bottom, due to mechanical limitations on the linkages.

I am just waiting for my ESC, which would arrive in the next week or so. Then I can do the final setup and weigh the model.

Take care and I'll keep you updated. Again, thanks for the information.

Bert

PS. in the mean time, I will continue my training on the sim.

Biplane Murphy
06-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Bert.... I,m glad you used the two servo-4 aileron option. much more manueverable.
The inter-aileron linkage is truly mechanically limited.
If I build anather Skybolt I will modify the plan to use one servo for each aileron.
Standard servos work fine in this plane!! I also am using standard sevos.
If you look in the photos in the construction manual, They used futaba s-148 servos(standard).
I am running a 6 volt 1650Mah ni-mh battery for reciever/servos, and another one for my smoke system.

What motor did you end up using?

Happy flyin'.........Chris

Biplane Murphy
06-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Hey Bert check out the thread on RCuniverse called "Super Skybolt Build"
The guy is a top notch builder!! Lots of neat techniques. It's a Glow plane, but the build is almost Identical!!

Fly untill you die........Chris

Biplane Murphy
06-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi Bert.........It's been 8 days!!:)
Did your ESC show up?
Did you weigh her.
Mine is FAT--11 lbs. or so.:< Need to re-weigh to be sure.
Changed prop from 16x6 to 15x8 to 14x10.
I think it's a little faster now running the 14x10.

Hope all is well, and hope to see more electric Skybolt pics soon!!:)

Murphy

bert269
06-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey

Yes, as a matter of fact, last night at 7pm...so I did not had chance to get it back in and weigh it all in...I'll probably get to do this over this coming weekend. - I promise I'll do my best.

I am leaving for Paris, France next week Friday - so I would not have too much time to spend with the planes over the weekend, but I will certainly make it one of the priorities.

Thanks for the detailed info. You mentioned you 'think' it's runnning faster now...well, you should get one if those 'speed meters/alt meters' then you will know exaclty

Take care
Bert

Biplane Murphy
06-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Wish I had a radar gun to measure airspeed!!
Tachometer is fairly accurate, but need a digital fish scale and some rope to measure thrust..........Have rope, but don't have fish scale.

Murphy

bert269
06-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I bought a 'bike scale' (i'm also a cyclist in my other life!) - which I use to weigh my models. It can only get up to 25 pounds thou, and with the plane that will (I project) scale in at about 11, I guess to measure the thrust, the 25 is not going to be enough, but I will try that too - never thought of that....thanks

Biplane Murphy
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Bert.........I've heard you can tie the fish scale to a tree trunk, then tie plane tail to scale and throttle up. Should give a measure of thrust. If you get more than 25 lbs of thrust you will have more than 2 to 1 power ratio. Absolutely massive vertical performance!! I could only wish for that in mine. Mine is Probably more like 1 to 1 or so .

Murphy

Biplane Murphy
06-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Bert join me at the Skybolt hangar and clubhouse at RCuniverse......
bring photos

murphy......

bert269
06-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey Murphy

Thanks. I got the thread yesterday on RC Universe too....but thanks for getting us a new thread!...KEWL!

You know, I feel terrible that I have not had the chance to get my SB on the scale. With us leaving for France on Friday, I just cannot find the time to do it....believe me, when I get back, the summer will be here in Seattle in "full swing" and I will certainly get that SB of the shelves.!

Enjoy and thanks again for the Thread.

Bert

Biplane Murphy
06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Have fun bert..........and don't eat too many frog legs and snails!!:)

Murphy.....

bert269
06-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Murphy

To be honest with you - I never had frog legs before, but I certainly LOVE snails

spicy
07-17-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi Bert and Chris.
I'm flying a recently converted GP Skybolt (kit version). It started out with a Saito 120 and was converted to an Axi 4130/26, 77 amp Jeti Opto ECS on a 9s2p. I am using 3s 2100mah packs that I use in my TREX, wire up in series parallel. My plane weighs in ready to fly at about 10.5 lbs. I reccomend a 16 x 6 or 15 x 8 prop for this setup. This setup has awesome power, alot to spare.

I'v only got a couple flights on the air plane, so I'm still experimenting with the setup and am going to try it with the 16 x 6 prop and a 6s setup, but I'm concerned there won't be quite enough power there, but maybe I'll be pleasently suprised. 16" prop is about all the ground clearace will allow. If I was going to do this again, I would try the Axi 4130/16 on 6s setup. I'm thinking of doing that in a .61-.90 sized GP Extra 300s that I have on the board now. I love the convienience of the electric, and no slime.

Mark

Biplane Murphy
07-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Hi Spicy.........Mine is Glow powered with OS 120 surpass III w/pump
I was running a 16 x 6 prop...switched to a 14 x 10 (better thrust and speed)

Good luck..Murph........

I edited my post after reading yours again!!!
9 cells and 4200 mah sounds pretty good!!

bert269
08-24-2007, 10:03 PM
OK guys....I'm back from France and recovered.....Ok I had some time to spend on my plane(s) recently and after almost a 'melt-down' in my Giles202 (thin wires, too much amps) I decided to redo the wiring in the Skybolt from 14AWG to 10AWG....No 'warm wires' anymore and I'm sure it will not melt and catch fire like in my G202. WOW - that was close. Long story...Anyway I got the ESC installed, put the baby on the scale with 'empty lipos' and weigh the wings separate.

Total in a 13.68lbs! Now these are big lipos 8000mah each and I have a 9s configuration......

Hopefully if I get enough confidence and good weather over the weekend - I may take it to the field, even if it will only be to introduce it to the field and the other fliers....maybe I will fly it - maybe not....LOL

Will keep you informed...and even some pictures of the finale!

Biplane Murphy
08-24-2007, 10:17 PM
OK guys....I'm back from France and recovered.....Ok I had some time to spend on my plane(s) recently and after almost a 'melt-down' in my Giles202 (thin wires, too much amps) I decided to redo the wiring in the Skybolt from 14AWG to 10AWG....No 'warm wires' anymore and I'm sure it will not melt and catch fire like in my G202. WOW - that was close. Long story...Anyway I got the ESC installed, put the baby on the scale with 'empty lipos' and weigh the wings separate.

Total in a 13.68lbs! Now these are big lipos 8000mah each and I have a 9s configuration......

Hopefully if I get enough confidence and good weather over the weekend - I may take it to the field, even if it will only be to introduce it to the field and the other fliers....maybe I will fly it - maybe not....LOL

Will keep you informed...and even some pictures of the finale!

Hey Bert....I was wondering if you were back yet.....Wow....your Skybolt is FAT!!!....Must be the huge lipos....Can't wait to hear about the Maiden!!

Biplane Murphy
09-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Bert.........Have you flown the Skybolt Yet?