PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy 28-30 and magnets

Cdr. Instigator
10-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Ok, so I took my Funtana clone out for a flight yesterday. After the second battery was about to die, I started doing some powerless dead stick approaches. I was just powering off from about 70 feet up and it would slowly decent with wings leveled. I would power up when it was about 5 feet up and go for another dead stick approach. Anyway, One of those stunts caused me to slam into the prop unto the runway. I got my model and brought it to one of the tables and upon changing the prop and powering up, I noticed that the Turnigy lacked power and was hesitating and locking up...

Upon further scrutiny, the resulting crash caused some magnets to fly loose and are no longer in the motor. I'm missing 3 small magnets to my TR 28-30B 10A 1050kv.

Is there a way to replace them and if so where, and how?

I was able to remove the set screw on the shaft and the locking retainer clip. And if I wanted pull the motor apart..
????

MustangMan
10-12-2009, 03:58 AM
I'd pull the motor apart and check to see if the magnets are inside somewhere. If you can find them you can glue them back in. If they're lost it's probably not worth the trouble of trying to find replacement magnets unless someone volunteers that they have another, similar size motor, with some other problem, like burned out windings.

Cdr. Instigator
10-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Darn.. the magnets are not in the case.. I just can't seem to understand how they would have popped out from withing the motor and it's magnetizing strength. There is barely an opening for them 3 magnets to have even come out of the case..

Just don't get it. The only thing that hit the ground was the prop and it was barely rotating..

That really blows, if there's no way to order new magnets..

:censor:!!!

MustangMan
10-12-2009, 04:19 AM
I'm sure you can't get magnets from HobbyCity.

There used to be some place in the US that specialized in small magnets for various purposes and they had many different shapes, sizes, and types but it has been a long time since I looked at their site and I don't have it bookmarked. You could ask in the motor building forums and see if someone can give you a link. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it wound up costing nearly the same as a new motor.

Cdr. Instigator
10-12-2009, 04:29 AM
I did a google search and typed Brushless Motor magnets and got this..

http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=37

Now let see some prices..

:D

MustangMan
10-12-2009, 04:33 AM
That's the place. Good luck!

Larry3215
10-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Are you sure they came out? How many magnets do you have and how many stator poles are there?

Its entirely possible some of them just came unglued and moved around on you. You may only need to re-position them and glue them back in place.

Larry3215
10-12-2009, 06:21 AM
By the way - you dont really want to use some other magnets unless your very certain they are the same strength as the ones you lost. Your speed controller will see uneven back emf pulses and could easily get confused and just burn up.

Slowjohn
10-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Can you post a photo showing the magnets?

Standing By,
SJ

Cdr. Instigator
10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys.. Hopefully, it's like John says.. Maybe they just shifted.. but, I can clearly see there are 3 spots where the dimension of the space corresponds to a magnet..

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight.

I'd also say, that if I would shift all the magnets so as to be touching one another.. There would be a blank gap of emptyness with a distance of about 7/16.

It don't look right..

But, like Mustang said,.... It might be cheaper just to order another 12 dollar or $20.00 with shipping....... brushless motor.. :(

birdDog
10-12-2009, 01:21 PM
If you look at headsuprc.com you can probably get a new motor for about the same price in 1/4 of the time.

Honestly, repairing loose magnets is a PITA, especially on a small motor. I would spend the $25 to get back in the air and save the repair for a rainy day.

CHELLIE
10-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys.. Hopefully, it's like John says.. Maybe they just shifted.. but, I can clearly see there are 3 spots where the dimension of the space corresponds to a magnet..

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight.

I'd also say, that if I would shift all the magnets so as to be touching one another.. There would be a blank gap of emptyness with a distance of about 7/16.

It don't look right..

But, like Mustang said,.... It might be cheaper just to order another 12 dollar or $20.00 with shipping....... brushless motor.. :(

Yes just buy another motor, you got your $12.00 worth out of that one anyway :D and keep the old motor for spare parts, they will come in handy, belive me. spare c clips, motor shaft, motor mount, etc Take care, Chellie

Cdr. Instigator
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
I think you all are right.. Plain and simply: It's not worth the time and effort to replace said magnets..

Verdict!!!

The motor has a new role now in my hanger.. and that's as a support role. No flying will be had using this little Gem, other than by supporting the rest of the brushless fleet with it's Guts and past glory!!

RIP Old faithful TR 28-30.... you were the best... :sad:

Ordering 2 new sets... :$

ron_van_sommeren
10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
sharing things with all and hope i can learn more things from all of you ...

reported

richg99
11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Remember...if you ever need tiny rare-earth magnets...for a cockpit latch or other use... electric outrunner motors are filled with them. rich

Cdr. Instigator
11-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah, This motor has been up and running since I reposition all magnets so as to have them equally spaced around the housing. re-glued them all and it has been running again for a month and lots of new flights on it..

Rolling Thunder
11-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, This motor has been up and running since I reposition all magnets so as to have them equally spaced around the housing. re-glued them all and it has been running again for a month and lots of new flights on it..

so you were able to leave out some of the missing magnates & respaced the remaining ones & it worked?

Cdr. Instigator
11-28-2009, 11:33 PM
so you were able to leave out some of the missing magnates & respaced the remaining ones & it worked?

No, actually...

I checked my other Turnigy's to see the magnet count and all magnets were accounted for. They had just become un glued and shifted, to where it seemed like magnets were missing but in fact that wasn't the case.

There was also no way that a magnet would be ejected from the housing even after becoming loose. There's just not a big enough opening for that to happen.

I repositioned them equally spaced and glued back..