PDA

View Full Version : Newbie hit by prop, bleeding....

panzerd18
03-06-2006, 05:43 AM
What a silly thing for me to do. I wanted to test out my Wattage Cobalt engine so I held it in one hand and with the other pushed the + and - wires into a nimh pack I had. The motor jolted and jumped out of my hand as the prop was spinning at full speed to fly and slap into my hand holding the battery terminals.

I got a good cut across the back of my hand. I didnt think it was that bad at first as it didnt really hurt but then it started bleeding and I realised it had gone through the skin.

:eek::eek::eek:

nova801428
03-06-2006, 06:32 AM
ouch! sorry to hear that, I have a cobalt motor and today I also hurt myself too. What a coincidence, darn props

AEAJR
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Rule #1 - Keep your body parts away from the prop

Sounds like you guys should be flying gliders. :D

Steve
03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I had the same thing happen to me....twice...with my Unicorn wing. That freakin' little prop spins at a bazillion RPM and does not feel good when it hits your knuckles!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Safety first bro.....

bsoder
03-06-2006, 07:06 PM
A little CA closes prop cuts really well. :)

flyboy1945
03-07-2006, 12:26 AM
I check the motor with the prop off,saves on bandaids:rolleyes:

bsoder
03-07-2006, 12:47 AM
that works unless you're measuring something like thrust... :)

nova801428
03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
I also cut myself with my edgerc overlord the same day as the cobalt!!!
good luck flying

wobbles99
03-07-2006, 03:15 AM
Been there. I was doing a radio check in my living room by turning the prop on low when the wife came in. "turn that thing off before you break something!" she says. I turned to tell her I knew exactly what I was doing when I accidentally cranked her to WOT and it jumped at me. It gave me a good slice on my finger but my pride was hurt the most.

Pale Rider
03-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Dont feel so bad..its not as bad as getting hit with a 23-8 CF prop on a DA-50!! OUCH!

bsoder
03-07-2006, 04:27 AM
well, you know what they say... "wood'll break it, plastic'll cut it off." :)

Pale Rider
03-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Man I wish it was some nice soft wood instead:p

50+AirYears
03-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Beware of blood sucking props. Worst prop cuts I ever got came from an 8-4 prop on a 500 sized electric. You can get get cut from about any kind of prop, even if it's driven by a rubber band.

panzerd18
03-07-2006, 08:13 AM
I guess I really didn't respect it. Sure if it was a Glow engine of course I would be careful but a small Speed 400 I was very careless and complacent. I really found out how dangerous they are even on small engines.

EpoweredRc
03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Ouch, bet you wont do that again. next time wait untill its in the plane or make a text mount for it to run it on.

VACaver
03-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't exactly recall why, but I once plugged what I thought was a dead battery into my Challenger and bumped up the throttle. Whatever I was doing, it was something stupid, I'm sure:o

Anyway, the dead battery wasn't dead after all and the plane slipped out of my hand:eek: No pain at first...just blood splatters on the wall and a chewed-up thumb. Thankfully, no stitches were needed...but I did lose the nail.

Soft tissue is indeed no match for a spinning prop.

LannyG
03-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Safety glasses aren't a bad idea either. At least some kind of glasses.
Some guys have even hurt themselves with a glider! I saw a guy landing a slope soarer with about 4 lbs of ballast in it for speed. It was coming in pretty hot. Came toward him, he miscalculated and it hit the back of the TX hard enough to break it and his thumb.

TeslaWinger
03-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Back when I flew Zagis I would sometimes accidentally bump the throttle and the prop hit my finger as I prepared to launch. No big deal. Mostly surprise and a smile. Once you get up to more powerful motors and carbon props it's not so funny anymore!

WOB- Why is it that when we are seen as clueless, our protests PROVE IT!?? Yes, perfection eludes me too- but she doesn't know that yet.

VACAver- Did it make a sound like SPELUNK?

Yrs ago when I was an ultralighter, I read of a British pilot who got hit on his bare head with a multilam wooden prop driven by a motor of at least 25 hp! He lived- but I wouldn't want THAT headache!

As for CA sealing wounds- it most definitely works- just skip the KICKER- its horrendously toxic! Building with a friend, we both reached for 'something' at the same time- he had an Exacto knife in his hand. Opened up the back of my hand and leaked terribly! After some pressure and inspection, he applied a bead to the cut and that... was THAT! Next week- Dremel tool brain surgery!

Deereret
03-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Going to build this motor test stand tommorrow.
Gene

panzerd18
03-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I think its funny how you guys say to use CA to close the cut!! HAHA I guess it would work though!!

bsoder
03-08-2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html

ms08
03-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I thought that CA (or form of it) was developed during Vietnam for emergency fixing of wounds or is that not right?

Mike

AEAJR
03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
That is what I have heard. Wound repair was the goal.

TeslaWinger
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
CA is non-toxic and is used on many delicate types of surgeries where thread just isn't fast or strong enough. Heart valves, corneas, all kinds of cool stuff!

It also comes in handy if you want to suspend a salesman from an iron beam by his head! Don't we all? :D
TW

Fly Away Ohm
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Quote - 'It also comes in handy if you want to suspend a salesman from an iron beam by his head!'

Please, please tell me you are speaking from experience!:D :D :D

2muchfun
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Now we all know what Jack the Ripper used!

And they said it was a scalpel!:p

TeslaWinger
03-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Quote - 'It also comes in handy if you want to suspend a salesman from an iron beam by his head!'

Please, please tell me you are speaking from experience!:D :D :D
No, I missed out on that chance at commercial cheese fame but they are still writing about that commercial to this day and the 'dangler' is a modest celeb, incredibly! If YOU REMEMBER THE AD- they did their job well! Perhaps they didnt run in the UK? :o

Having made every mistake in the book, yes, I am experienced. Here is my definition of that:

"Experience is what you got- when you didnt get what you wanted!"

Getcha some!
:D
Be careful out there!
TW

PS: 2Much- No way this guy is a surgeon like J.T. Ripper- after all, he's a drummer! :)

Starmoon
03-16-2006, 05:05 PM
After crashing my FF, I got a commander 2 to learn on without the third channel. I'll repair the FF when I'm ready..but today I took my Comander out for its maiden and it BIT me!! I even left some blood on the prop. I was holding her wrong....plus I think my plane was trying to tell me something..as it was too windy out there anyway....

BTW-should I leave the blood on the prop? a sort of battle scar..or clean it?

skiman762
03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
After crashing my FF, I got a commander 2 to learn on without the third channel. I'll repair the FF when I'm ready..but today I took my Comander out for its maiden and it BIT me!! I even left some blood on the prop. I was holding her wrong....plus I think my plane was trying to tell me something..as it was too windy out there anyway....

BTW-should I leave the blood on the prop? a sort of battle scar..or clean it?

Of course you should leave on, it's called ''The order of the purple prop''
welcome to the club

Starmoon
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Of course you should l leave on, it's called ''The order of the purple prop''
welcome to the club

Thanks for the welcome! And skinman? Are you saying you are a chartered member of that club? ;) I WILL leave it on the prp for sure now!

skiman762
03-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome! And skinman? Are you saying you are a chartered member of that club? ;) I WILL leave it on the prp for sure now!

Not sure when the club was started but I joined it about 1968 or so with my first .049 cox control line. I think the smaller they are the harder the bite...

skiman762
03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
I should start a thread to see if anyone hasn't joined the club,,
That might be intresting, I don't see how you play with these things and not do it aleast once ..like a carpenter that hasn't wacked a finger or two or three:D

Starmoon
03-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Might be a good thread......

skiman762
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
We'll see I started it in the general section

Jeremy Z
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I really found out how dangerous they are even on small engines.

One quick point.

Motors are electric. (i.e. "electric motor")
Engines are combustion powered. ("glow engine", "gasoline engine")

Many people mix these up, but I thought I'd point this out since it's a Beginner forum.

Have a good one.

skiman762
03-16-2006, 06:06 PM
One quick point.

Motors are electric. (i.e. "electric motor")
Engines are combustion powered. ("glow engine", "gasoline engine")

Many people mix these up, but I thought I'd point this out since it's a Beginner forum.

Have a good one.

J
Does that mean we can stop putting gas into our motorvehicles?;)
have fun:cool:

Jeremy Z
03-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Are you English, perchance? We don't call them 'motorvehicles' here in the colonies.

Motorcycle on the other hand... Rolls off the tongue a little better than enginecycle. Actually, I think its root is from 'motorized-bicycle' or something. Who knows. But technically...

skiman762
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Are you English, perchance? We don't call them 'motorvehicles' here in the colonies.

Motorcycle on the other hand... Rolls off the tongue a little better than enginecycle. Actually, I think its root is from 'motorized-bicycle' or something. Who knows. But technically...

No Jeremy Z
I'm a 48er ;) but last month I did get tags for my car from the dept. of motorvehicles then had drove over to an official motorvehicle inspection station on my way home I stopped and got some motor oil
for my Ford Motor Company truck my wife drive a yukon made by the general motors corporation I once own a car made by the Toyota motor corporation. My boat has and Outboard Motor corporation 150hp on it
but I do like the one made by the yamaha motor corporation better
Lol it's all in fun mind you :D

skiman762
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
CA is non-toxic and is used on many delicate types of surgeries where thread just isn't fast or strong enough. Heart valves, corneas, all kinds of cool stuff!

It also comes in handy if you want to suspend a salesman from an iron beam by his head! Don't we all? :D
TW

I'm no Dr. but my wife is a nurse she told that the CA we use is methyl-2-cyanoacrylate which will irritate and even burn human tissue
Traumaseal as well as Dermabond is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate and is what the medical folks use but from what she understood the old stuff was use at one time...

Jeremy Z
03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
It seems risky to put CA in your bloodstream if you're not 100% sure that it's safe.

I'll stick with band-aids, unless I happen across some stuff specifically made for the medical profession.