PDA

View Full Version : SlowStick & Gusts...

frvrngn
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Take one guy who has been getting fidgety about trying out his new DX6 - me. Take one pristine SlowStick that only had a dozen flights on her. Add in a sunny, warm day that looks perfect but keeps gusting up now and then and you get! - Carnage:eek:

First flight went well. Had some issues with the wind gusts now and then, especially when I got over the trees surrounding my field. So I was trying to keep it low and slow. Well, the second pack didnt go so well. Coming across the field a strong gust caught me broadside about 6 feet off the deck. Rolled me straight into the rock hard clay.

Fuse is bent beyond repair, wing is ripped in two, rudder ripped clean off, servo arm snapped clean off, other servo might be stripped (its got waaay more deflection in its static position now), elevator was cracked in half. The prop saver worked, the motor and mount look fine (which is good since this was the second flight on that motor!), the battery is fine. Time to go order a slope kit... I am happy they are cheap!

The past couple weeks has been beautiful out but just gusty as anything. I think its time to just stick with my EPP wings until it calms down a little!

Steve
03-06-2006, 05:59 PM
OW....

You have to really be careful with a plane like this in gusty winds. If you have enough power, you can get yourself out of trouble...providing you have enough altitude :rolleyes:

When I fly in gusty conditions with my SS, I try to land during lulls in the gusts. I you can't do that, it's best to go to high rates and really concentrate on your corrections.

That's a lot of wing for such a light plane...not the ideal for heavy gusts :o

On the other hand, I'll throw my SS up in just about any wind conditions. You just have to be willing to take that calculated risk knowing you might take home a pile of parts.

Rugar
03-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't even fly my SS until the wind starts blowing. Its the most fun plane I have for the wind. Keeps you on your toes :D.

frvrngn
03-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I had decent power. Esskay 400XT running some IB2000 9cell packs I had charged. Coming into the wind, I could make decent headway as long I had a lot of down elevator. Neutral and full throttle it would climb like crazy. It was actually pretty twitchy with the 400XT. I had a BP-08 on it was a little less touchy about throttle position.

First flight was great, my first landing I could nearly hover at about 1/4 throttle into the wind and just bring it down for a landing in about a foot. I had high rates setup, without them there would have been zero hope of control. Second flight, just got caught too close to the deck. Oh well...

flyranger
03-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Fuse can be repaired. Cut out the bent part and move the component parts out of the way. Buy a 1/4 inch square stick of basswood. Cut out a piece equal to the lost lenght of aluminum plus 2 inches. Sand and carve one inch on each end until the stick fits into the aluminum channel one inch on each end. Put 5 min epoxy on it, slide the pieces together. Wait 5 minutes for adhesive to dry. Sand the joint until smooth and slide your components back on. It will affect balance slightly, so don be surpised if things end up in a different position than before. I have a slow stick with two of these splices on it and it still flies. The splice will be stronger than the original. Can't kill the Da*# thing!

Twmaster
03-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Slow Sticks rock. Wind is fun. :D

Don Sims
03-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Save the parts for the next time or do what fly said, SS's are great to fly in wind and develop your skills.

Twmaster
03-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Exactly. I find flying the SS in wind to be exhilarating. You FLY the plane the whole time. No slacking off! Loads of fun and has taught me much about gentle input and when to yank N bank too! I love my SS.

frvrngn
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I flew it a few times in the wind with no issues other than some squirelly landings. This time I just got unlucky I guess. I already have all the parts stripped and am going to get the Slope kit to swap what I can and keep the rest as more spares. Its too much of a good flying plane to not get another :) Eventually I want to try a little AP with it, but I will definately wait for calmer days for that!

I also thought about making a short, speedy stick out of whats left. Clip the wing way back and close it up, make the control surfaces smaller and throw a fast little motor on it. Might fail miserably, but its fun to expirement...

az heli
03-19-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm a little late getting in the conversation but I can definatley appreciate your pain. I'm new to fying and bought a S.S. for my first fixed wing and have several encounters with winds that are higher than my skill level. I purchased a couple pieces of 20 thousanths carbon fiber sheets and made new verticle and horizontal stablizers, adds about 60 grams of weight but you don't have the problem of breakage anymore. Just make sure to adust the C.G.

Ribcracker
03-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Just remember this; If your SlowStick is capable of flying at 10 knots, and the wind is blowing at 12 knots, you are in some deep doo.