PDA

View Full Version : scratchbuilt DIII maiden

floss
10-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi All

Haven't done a lot of flying or building lately but on the spur of the moment I went out yesterday with my Electrifly DVII and unmaidened scratchbuilt Albatros DIII finished about 18 months back except for detailing.

Flew the DVII to get the confidence back and then had a try running the DIII along the grass at speed to see what happened. The tail lifted pretty quick so I added a bit of down elevator and lined her up for a go.

To my surprise on the next run she lifted off just like the DVII and started to head for the clouds. Motor is a big Hyperion Z3007/30 outrunner so power was kept at half throttle, this motor is a deceiving beast because its so quiet it gives the impression that it is not pulling unlike the smaller outrunners that really scream.

Flew several lazy circuits with no trimming needed and noticed that it turned left easier then right with ailerons, finally bought her in for the usual grass landing that ends up upside down but undamaged. Have to admit I stood there for a while a bit dumbstruck at how easy it was to fly wondering why I had not tried it earlier. Did one more take-off and noticed how straight it tracked on the ground compared with the DVII, the DIII's undercarriage is scale and wider. A huge improvement on the DVII which I have never been able to track straight.

Forgot how much fun this can be (when it goes right), glad I haven't thrown any of my gear or planes out :)

Steve

Sky Sharkster
10-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Wow, Steve, Great job!
Glad to hear the flight went so well, the first ones are always nerve-wracking. Hope you have many more successful sorties!
Fine job on the build.
Ron

dbcisco
10-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Nice work!!!!!!!

max-nix
10-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Very impressive!:$

Cdr. Instigator
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow, nice build.. Congratz on your maiden..

Well DONE !!

JetPlaneFlyer
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Nice!.. I've always had a liking for Albatros fighters, so sleek and streamline compared to the typical boxy WWI planes..

The 'easier to turn left than right' issue could indicate that you need a touch of right-thrust?

cheers
Steve

7car7
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Congrats! I remember your build, it was fun watching it. So happy to hear she's air worthy!

floss
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys, weathers gone to pack so finished the struts and rigging on the AEG. Will get some pics for you all.

scalercflyer
10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Beautiful, beautiful build and congrats on the maiden. I love WWI German fighters! Marty