PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Cameras for AP?

inconel710
03-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Has anyone used one of these WiFi enabled cameras for AP yet?

I was reading this review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd430-review/index.shtml) and noticed the following about half way down -

Something else you can do wirelessly is control the camera by using the RemoteCapture program on your PC. This software works just like it does on other Canon cameras -- you pick the settings you want, take the picture, and the image is saved directly to your computer. RemoteCapture only works wirelessly on the SD430 -- you cannot use the USB cable.

I'm thinking that the range for 802.11b WiFi is about 100ft in my house, but if the xmtr is airborne -- hmmmm -- range could be much greater with no interfering structure between the camera and laptop. Kind of like a Blackwidow system with the added bonus of taking 5 mega-pixel still photos!

The camera in the review is pricey ($500 :eek: ). Most of the other WiFi enabled cameras also sell for $100-$200 more than a non-WiFi camera with similar specs. If anyone has done this or has a WiFi camera, please share your comments.

Thanks,

slacsteve
03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
If you try it consider the GP Patch antenna at www.rc-cam.com (http://www.rc-cam.com) under Special Projects. It's easy to make from sheet metal. instead of the expensive sma connectors just cut an sma cable and solder it directly through the sheet metal and reinforce with epoxy. I made one for my disappointing 1.2mhz ebay video with great improvment.

I believe wifi is 300 feet+ line of site. I'll bet you can get 1000+ with the patch.

kodel
03-26-2006, 10:26 PM
I know of wardrivers who extend the range of standard wifi to 5 kilometers using only modded antennas. Of course, lin of sight is required.
They even did test of bouncing the wifi signal over the water and reached 38 km's, but with 200mW equipment. Standard WiFi is 100mW.

The problem with adding modded antenna's is that your radiated RF power increases beyond the legal limits.

inconel710
03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Interesting ideas. Thanks guys.