PDA

View Full Version : GP Fokker DR1 Maiden

7car7
10-28-2009, 04:57 AM
Wow, what a fun plane! It was not NEARLY the handful I had expected. Quite fun and docile really. I taped 49g (1.7oz) in the form of 2 AA batteries under the motor. Plane climbed like crazy on takeoff, and so I gave a bit of down, and dropped the throttle, and it just cruised around happy as could be. Not quite the SE5 by any means, but still not bad at all.

Can't believe I stuck the landing without flipping over. But the second flight was not so lucky - I hit some taller grass, and over it went. Broke one of the strut tabs, and pulled a screw out of the fuse for the cabane. Easy fixes. So, yes, it's certainly a "land on sand/hard smooth ground only" plane.

I am using about 40% rudder mix (rudder turns with aileron input), and about 10% elevator UP on aileron input. I did not try it yet without the rudder mixing, and I'll try it without the elevator up on turning too. Not sure I really needed that - true what they've said - this plane climbs like a homesick angel.

q7cjDO6quPM

scalercflyer
10-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Gee another RED DRI! Who would have guessed? Nice job on the maiden Bud. Mine will be built this winter (and it won't be RED!) Marty

7car7
10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Yep, it's as red as can be. I'd love to do a recover on this one (and like I did on my SE5a, take weight out of it - especially the tail ), but it is technically for the kids. They love the red. ;-)

It will be fun getting this one on the trainer cord. :eek:

texasclouds
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
nice flying. you can't be the baron w/o red.

floss
10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Nice Flying 7C7, that little beast is meant to be a handful but you made it look tame.

Steve

7car7
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks! I'm just itching to get it in the air again, but weather and family have had other ideas.

TM4197
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Very nice looking!! Great job on the maiden too!! I like how the camera rolls left when the DR1 rolls left and so on! What did you end up on throttle for level flight?
Again..great job! Great Vid!

7car7
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I think I was keeping it about 1/2 most the time. Couple times I'd give it about 3/4, with some down trim, if I wanted to do some rolls (just to be safe). But I quickly figured out this plane will roll just fine at 1/2 throttle if given just a touch of down when inverted.

I really figured I'd have the serious knee shake going on, but it settled down so easily, once it was off the ground, that it truly felt like I'd flow this one before.

TM4197
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, you did a great job...looked pretty darn smooth to me!! That's a great feeling when you bring em back in and they roll straight to a stop, especially a maiden flight. Heck, I was out at lunch today to test fly an old Tiger Moth, I had made a few repairs to her and stiffened up the wings a bit....You might think I was flying it for the first time when the wheels broke ground! I was nervous as could be. But, then again...its a TM..always makes me look like I know what I was doing! Enjoy your flights!!

7car7
11-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Love TM's! Hope to always have one in my hangar!