PDA

View Full Version : 1915 sopwith baby sea scout 1/12 scale scratch built

DCflyer
10-28-2009, 04:45 PM
hi folks, i got layed off my job so i'm almost pennieless, so what idecided to do is shrink down some MAN PLANS i have( less resourses) and build a baby sea scout at 1/11 scale 33" wingspan from all the scrape and leftovers i have lyeing around, and i have a s--tload, motors, servos, speedcontrollers, recievers, balsa, bass, hardwood, brass, litho-plate and you name it and i'm pretty sure i can pull it off. it will have a fully working cockpit and all the details. i'm going to set the alerons up with one servo in fuselage just like the DH-2 i did, balance cable on top and in wing wire and pulleys british style, as i say i'm going to squeeze as much detail as i can in this plane not unlike any of my other builds. i'm also working on a DR-1 COCKPIT, just the center section. i bought one of those peter jackson manfred von ricthoven action figures and very carefully took it apart and filed all the joints so they would move freely and installed some micro-micro servo's so the head will turn l-r and move up and down. all this is going to be a demostration piece, i don't think anyone's attemted this before. it will be the cockpit and a little bit for and a bit aft no covering but every thing else to show the kid's at my school where i teach what a pilot actually does in there. his arms will control the throttle and stick, and fingers handling the machine guns, the belts of ammo will feed through the guns when he pulls the lever and his legs will move the rudder board all awhile his head searching the skys. on top of this it will have a working scale compass, R.P.M gauge will work. any other gauges i will have to simulate them working and i really thing the kids will love it. all this will work with a 12 servo chip that i'll program to make the movements look natural. it wont fly of course but what a conversation piece. as i say my kids are always asking me white the pilot does in that hole and once you have a full pilot in you cant see any of the cockpit, so i'm going to change that so they will see and you too, i think you'll get a kick out of it. and i sat again i'll be working on this two projects at the same time. BTW the section of plane and the cockpit will be a little ove 1/5 scale.her are some pis of the progress, started the wings for the sea scout sifting through drawers of scrape wood trying to make things work but it does suck when all you have is a little piece of wood and it's the only piece that size and type and you have to manuever it through a scroll saw. i also welded together the sides to the DR-1 demo piece, it will be all metal tube just like the real thing, i'm useing brass. hope i didn't bore you i'll be back with some updates soon.

pd1
10-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Another good one to watch

Paul

hoffboy
11-16-2009, 04:49 AM
hi folks, i got layed of my job so i'm almost pennieless, so what idecided to do is shrink down some MAN PLANS i have( less resourses) and build a baby sea scout at 1/11 scale 33" wingspan from all the scrape and leftovers i have lyeing around, and i have a s--tload, motors, servos, speedcontrollers, recievers, balsa, bass, hardwood, brass, litho-plate and you name it and i'm pretty sure i can pull it off. it will have a fully working cockpit and all the details. i'm going to set the alerons up with one servo in fuselage just like the DH-2 i did, balance cable on top and in wing wire and pulleys british style, as i say i'm going to squeeze as much detail as i can in this plane not unlike any of my other builds. i'm also working on a DR-1 COCKPIT, just the center section. i bought one of those peter jackson manfred von ricthoven action figures and very carefully took it apart and filed all the joints so they would move freely and installed some micro-micro servo's so the head will turn l-r and move up and down. all this is going to be a demostration piece, i don't think anyone's attemted this before. it will be the cockpit and a little bit for and a bit aft no covering but every thing else to show the kid's at my school where i teach what a pilot actually does in there. his arms will control the throttle and stick, and fingers handling the machine guns, the belts of ammo will feed through the guns when he pulls the lever and his legs will move the rudder board all awhile his head searching the skys. on top of this it will have a working scale compass, R.P.M gauge will work. any other gauges i will have to simulate them working and i really thing the kids will love it. all this will work with a 12 servo chip that i'll program to make the movements look natural. it wont fly of course but what a conversation piece. as i say my kids are always asking me white the pilot does in that hole and once you have a full pilot in you cant see any of the cockpit, so i'm going to change that so they will see and you too, i think you'll get a kick out of it. and i sat again i'll be working on this two projects at the same time. BTW the section of plane and the cockpit will be a little ove 1/5 scale.her are some pis of the progress, started the wings for the sea scout sifting through drawers of scrape wood trying to make things work but it does suck when all you have is a little piece of wood and it's the only piece that size and type and you have to manuever it through a scroll saw. i also welded together the sides to the DR-1 demo piece, it will be all metal tube just like the real thing, i'm useing brass. hope i didn't bore you i'll be back with some updates soon.

Both projects sound fantastic. I'm subscribed!

PS: Very sorry to hear about the layoff. If things get really tight, say the word and I'm sure building supplies will come pouring in. Watching you work is such a treat, I'd gladly cough up bits and pieces to keep you moving. In fact, I've considered inquiring about commissioning an airplane. If that's of interest, hit me on the back channel.

Cheers!

reuben199
11-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Hey,
I will be following this one... your DH-2 was amazing.:$
I was also laid off earlier this year, and as they say when one door closes another opens.... you never know whats around the corner.
With your skills I'm sure there will be a market for museum quality models.
-Reuben

dbcisco
11-18-2009, 04:03 AM
How did I miss this??? Subscribed!

DCflyer
11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
here are a few more pics of the build. they will be slow coming for a while as i am in the process of moving. it's only a mile move but a bigger house and basement for a work shop area. i'll need it. a friend of my wife just sold her house because her husband passed away recently and she gave me 2 almost new scroll saws,( now i have three) a band saw and a vertical sander and a ton of other stuff along with enough sand paper to last me 5 years. anyway this is the progress so far on film. i'm much further but will have to wait til i get into my new house to take pics. the fuse is completed and the cockpit is done. all the wings and tail feathers are done, covered and rib stitched. update you soon.