PDA

View Full Version : Megapixels and lens quality

xrbcoronalogoflyer
08-15-2005, 10:21 AM
i use an easystar with blip cam for ap (2 mp and glass lens). for the price and simplicity, it can't be beat. i just got an olympus c8080, 8 mp camera. it's too heavy for my easystar, but i thought i'd share a coupla pics to show what 8 mp and a superb 14-element lens can do...:)

(moderator, you can bump this if it's too far off-subject)...:o

KarlB
08-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Good glass and high mpxls = great. OTOH, I've tested cheap 4- and 5-mp cams that weren't as sharp as my little 3mp Nikon.

Maybe an upgrade to the Easy Glider can loft your large cam? :)

xrbcoronalogoflyer
08-19-2005, 06:01 AM
hi karlb...i just weighed my blip cam on a digital scale...it weighs 59.7 grams. my olympus c-8080wz weighs 798.4 grams! lol. i'd have to bolt a 25 cc gas motor to the easystar to get it airborne. time to kill this thread, but before that, i'd just like to tell you that your st. croix vid was phenomenal! it just goes to show--technique and experience is the key to good ap. like you said, a decent 3 mp cam is more than enough for most ap'ers.

Slent thndr
08-19-2005, 12:16 PM
So you guys mount these cameras on your planes and try to take pictures from the air? How can you press the button? Do you have a servo for that or something? Or do you just put it on a continuous mode?

EpoweredRc
08-19-2005, 04:14 PM
So you guys mount these cameras on your planes and try to take pictures from the air? How can you press the button? Do you have a servo for that or something? Or do you just put it on a continuous mode?

I just learned about this aso but the camera plugs into a extra channel on your RX like channel 5 witch is a landing gear switch. and everytime you hit the switch it takes a Picture.

rcers
08-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Good glass and high mpxls = great. OTOH, I've tested cheap 4- and 5-mp cams that weren't as sharp as my little 3mp Nikon.

I am with you. My little Nikon is great......

Mike

Slent thndr
08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
but is there a servo involved or is this a special add on to the camera?

xrbcoronalogoflyer
08-19-2005, 07:17 PM
hi silent...you can rig a servo to trip the shutter button with the servo arm...or use a www.blip.com.au (http://www.blip.com.au) camera that simply plugs into a channel slot in your receiver (as foamies said)...or you can use a cheap ir device from http://www.hexpertsystems.com/prism/. nowadays, you can go to sam's club, best buy, etc., and get a decent ap-capable camera.
here's two pics of my easystar blip ap...
-ken

KarlB
08-19-2005, 09:32 PM
I made a "saddle" to strap a servo to my cam without marring the finish; servo arm hits the shutter button. For videos, I do without the servo, and simply start recording before taking off.

One feature that some of the Nikon Coolpix series enjoy is the ability to take multiple pictures in Sports Mode. Normally, this is used to take 3-4 shots in a row. If you keep holding the button down, after the first few shots fill up the buffer, it slows to one shot every couple of seconds. I rig a rubber band or velcro strap to hold the shutter down, and it will take 200 pictures in 10 minutes.

BTW, the Nikon 3700 weighs in at just under 6 oz, or 170g, including internal battery, memory card, and lanyard.

Slent thndr
08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Well I have a penny size wireless camera that i bought for this last year and have not yet installed. it has a reciever for the ground but then you need a way of recording the signal. Any sugestions? I have thought of pringing a portable tv with vidio in, or buying a usb vidio capture cable and bringing a laptop.

Timm
08-27-2005, 02:30 AM
There is a great new device that will be flooding the market soon....the PVR...or Personal Video Recorder. Usually powered by an internal Lipo, they record either onto a Flash or SD card or onto Hard disk. The footage can then be downloaded onto your PC......or the more expensive ones have Video Out which you can plug into your domestic VHS/DVD recorder.

Much easier than humping a TV/VCR and a car battery around. Have a look for them on Ebay, Archos do the 'high end' recorders but there are loads of other MP4 recorders around. Video quality is around that of a VHS recorder.........

keepawiki
08-31-2005, 07:45 AM
hey silent, have you hooked her up yet and recorded any flights? just use a handycam to record your signal. also edit your sig mate, allways has one (L) >always

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Vamooska
09-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Well...I have a Slow Stick that is 32 oz all up:eek: She flies extremely well with the Himax 2816 outrunner and a Vampower Batt 3S2250 lipo. The thing is...it has to be stressed for the job at hand....or you lose. If you guys are interested, I can post pics of her. This plane is a literal cash factory with the jobs I have secured from several avenues such as real estate and municipalities. The camera is a Kodak DX7630 6.1MP. It is an awesome platform for commercial grade AP. My motto? FA$$....Fly a $low $tick.
Peace
Vammy

TaSaJaRa
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
BTW that is a great pic. i just got an olympus c8080, 8 mp camera. it's too heavy for my easystar.
How heavy is to heavy? My AP Plane weighs in at around 45oz it is based on the Slow Stick.
Difference is that the fuselage is 8" longer and the wing is 5' wide.
I use a JustGoFly 450TH 3000kv (http://justgofly.com/tech_450TH.htm) geared on 3 cells. It pulls very well.
Here is a link to my plane (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368) if you want to take a look.

Later Craig